Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The 19mph avg pace game

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The 19mph avg pace game

Old 08-25-21, 05:06 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Bikeforums isn't what it used to be. Some years ago, a lot of people would have jumped on the OP shouting he was wrong, because AVERAGE SPEED MEANS NOTHING!
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 08-25-21, 05:20 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
I saw what you did here.
Found it pretty funny, too.
Yeah, just between me and you, and Andy K, it isn't the bike that's slow.
I find it's better if I keep track of the hours I ride, and not so much the miles, and I do try not to go at a snails pace and even pass somebody once in a while.
Old 08-25-21, 06:07 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
People sometimes measure "average pace" in different ways. For short rides it is easy, just do the math. Riders who do long distances will often subtract their time at stops from the calculation. For example, doing a 6 hour century using "total elapsed time" would give you a 16.7 mph average, while if 6 hours was your moving time (still 16.7 mph) then your overall start to finish time might be 7 hours which would otherwise calculate to 14.3 mph. Some computers will calculate moving time for the average pace while others will adjust the data manually. With these options it might be hard to compare results.

FWIW: I always considered a sub-6 hour century a good result (total elapsed time) for the typical century which has 3 or 4000 feet of climbing. That is not a reachable number for me anymore.
Yeah, on long rides when I stop I pause the Garmin....and sometimes forget to turn it back on, LOL! Usually though I just let 'er run and take the avg Garmin gives me. Even today when I stupidly dropped a water bottle at 22 mph. Cost me pace to slow, turn around, get it, and then get back going. Hate doing stuff like that.
Old 08-25-21, 06:09 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by Reynolds
Bikeforums isn't what it used to be. Some years ago, a lot of people would have jumped on the OP shouting he was wrong, because AVERAGE SPEED MEANS NOTHING!

LOL, right! It's just a silly metric for me to use for a silly game to have fun with. Well...if pain equals fun.
Old 08-25-21, 06:30 PM
jamesdak 

Well, I guess it pays to ride angry. Got held up leaving work today, then traffic in town totally sucked, and when I got over the mountain and into the valley I got behind a joker that thought it was cool to cruise all the across the valley at 10 mph under the speed limit. So now I'm frustrated, managed to grab a worn out pair of bibs that I should have thrown away and lubed up the chamois before I realized it. Now I'm like, "F it,, I don't want to ride". But instead I put on the pink gear and grabbed the pink Davidson because pink is supposed to be calming, right? Wind in my face starting out but today I was riding with music and had put on AC/DC's Razors Edge. 7 or so angry miles into the ride I see that I'm a minute better than a 20 mph pace. So even though I figured the legs would die sometime in the ride I went after it. By mile 19 I was still better than a 20 mph pace even after having to do a quick turn around to grab the bottle I dropped. This mile though I had hopped on the bike path and I encounter 4 different riders that all reacted badly as I called out to pass. I slowed big time before I called because that just seems to be the norm. Lots a lot of time and energy dealing with them. Anyway, headwinds continued to grow and with about 4 miles left I was struggling at times to do 15 mph. But fortunately I had so much time in the bank from earlier I was able to finish with a 19.4 mph avg. Exact same route as yesterday. Unlike yesterday, my quads are sore now. Tomorrow will certainly be an easier day but at least I checked another bike off the list today.

24.98 miles, 1:17:06. 394ft 19.4 avg pace. What's weird is this really is the exact same route as yesterday yet there's a big difference in feet gained. Yesterday going out I stayed off one section of the bike path that parallels the road for a 4 mile section. Today I did that 4 miles on the path. It's literally about a yard to the side of the road hard to believe there's that much elevation change.

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-25-21 at 05:39 AM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 08-25-21, 07:12 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
LOL, right! It's just a silly metric for me to use for a silly game to have fun with. Well...if pain equals fun.
Same here - I use it too, in spite of the haters.
Old 08-25-21, 09:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I wouldn't say average speed is meaningless, even on flat terrain. One of my occasional riding buddies is a little younger and a lot stronger rider. He averages 20 mph on our roller coaster terrain. Whenever I've ridden with him I'm struggling to keep up even when he dials it down a little. Even on flat terrain the wind resistance above 15 mph or so is a major factor. And he doesn't use aero bars, doesn't often even use the drops. He rides the hoods or tops, looks very relaxed. Dammit.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-26-21, 02:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Perhaps its a difference between c&v and the road forum.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-26-21, 02:12 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
All my solo rides right now are mixed surface- 40% road 60% gravel, and they have a decent amount of climb(40-70'/mile).
Recently I thought about breaking out a road bike and jumping on a flat bike trail that is also rural to see what I could pace on that. I actively try to avoid trails when riding solo, but that one is rural and an old rail line so its relatively low use and fairly flat. I have no idea what the difference in speed would be between gravel with some elevation and paved with little elevation, so kinda curious now. Just might need to give it a try.
I think you might be surprised at how different it is. The only caveat being you have to avoid those 20+mph windy Iowa days. Oof those are rough..
Old 08-26-21, 05:41 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Out in the countryside - without time-killing (and door-to-door ET) average stoplights, you can get away with this... Imagine being stopped at just ONE stoplight for over a minute.

My work commute is 12.5 miles - with 10 straight-through stoplights (not counting my commute's two right-turn-on-reds-after-stop) My commute times are somewhere between 42 and 45 minutes, thanks to time spent waiting at those lights. I have NEVER - in seven years - been lucky enough to hit it where all of the lights are green... ...and no, I do not blow through ANY traffic lights! 42 minutes is 17.86mph AVERAGE door-to-door speed. 45 minutes would be 16.67mph door-to-door speed. 41min=18.3mph 40min=18.75mph 39.5min would be your target 19mph (actually 18.987mph)...

Still, I think that I'm doing OK for an asthmatic 63-yr-old near-Clyde, riding a 24+ pound steel-frame 35+ yr old bike!
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 08-26-21, 08:03 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Out in the countryside - without time-killing (and door-to-door ET) average stoplights, you can get away with this... Imagine being stopped at just ONE stoplight for over a minute.

My work commute is 12.5 miles - with 10 straight-through stoplights (not counting my commute's two right-turn-on-reds-after-stop) My commute times are somewhere between 42 and 45 minutes, thanks to time spent waiting at those lights. I have NEVER - in seven years - been lucky enough to hit it where all of the lights are green... ...and no, I do not blow through ANY traffic lights! 42 minutes is 17.86mph AVERAGE door-to-door speed. 45 minutes would be 16.67mph door-to-door speed. 41min=18.3mph 40min=18.75mph 39.5min would be your target 19mph (actually 18.987mph)...

Still, I think that I'm doing OK for an asthmatic 63-yr-old near-Clyde, riding a 24+ pound steel-frame 35+ yr old bike!
Quality of life for me does not equal living in a city...ever. If it ever get's so crowded up here that they put in a stoplight I'm moving! LOL!

You got me thinking about weight of the bikes too. So I just took a peak at my list. Of the ones to make the cut so far the lightest is 18 lbs 1 oz and the heaviest is 22 lbs 5 ozs. I weigh each bike with saddle, pedals, bottle cages and computer mount. Saddle bags, bottles, and frame pumps get moved around so I don't include them when I weigh the bikes. All weighed using a amazon bought digital hanging fish scale. Don't know if it's really accurate but it gives me a true comparison between the bikes. Not that it really matters that much.

I didn't ride at all today. Another front moved in bring more of that nasty smoke and I'm trying not to kill my lungs again. I really am intrigued by the idea of maybe pulling this off with the Guv'nor. Over 32 lbs, 3 speeds, odd riding position, etc. If I could even get close on it I'd feel like The Man! LOL!!!!

The other roadies would freak out if I fly by them on this beast.

Last edited by jamesdak; 08-27-21 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-27-21, 09:09 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Quality of life for me does not equal living in a city...ever. If it ever get's so crowded up here that they put in a stoplight I'm moving! LOL!

You got me thinking about weight of the bikes too. So I just took a peak at my list. Of the ones to make the cut so far the lightest is 18 lbs 1 oz and the heaviest is 22 lbs 5 ozs. I weigh each bike with saddle, pedals, bottle cages and computer mount. Saddle bags, bottles, and frame pumps get moved around so I don't include them when I weigh the bikes. All weighed using a amazon bought digital hanging fish scale. Don't know if it's really accurate but it gives me a true comparison between the bikes. Not that it really matters that much.

I didn't ride at all today. Another front moved in bring more of that nasty smoke and I'm trying not to kill my lungs again. I really am intrigued by the idea of maybe pulling this off with the Guv'nor. Over 32 lbs, 3 speeds, odd riding position, etc. If I could even get close on it I'd feel like The Man! LOL!!!!

The other roadies would freak out if I fly by them on this beast.
My '86 Miyata started out at ~23.5 pounds (catalog weight), but is a bit lighter now due to the upgraded wheelset and lighter tires/tubes I'm sure it is well under 23.0 pounds

( this reminds me that I need to get a new 'weight' of all of my bikes 'as-ridden' by your parameters...)

The '84 Univega Viva Sport is probably only a few ounces behind the Miyata due to it's 'weight-consciousness' ( ) build/parts selection... I had built this bike up with the parts to mimic what would have come on the same-year Miyata 710, ---- before I acquired my better-specc'ed '86 Miyata 710....

My old Fuji, however, is relegated to be ~30 pounds because of the added triple crankset, frame pump, somewhat heavier wheelset, and all-weather fenders, and rear rack. But I still consider this to be my secondary 'Commuter'/'Touring' bike. I simply cannot throw away our 45 years of history together!!!!

The '84 Univega Gran Tourismo - I've never weighed in 'touring trim' since that would depend on WHAT I'm carrying on my 'tour'...

My GOAL, however, is to maintain an 18mph 'average' speed (as counted by ET/ roadside mileposts)for the majority of my commute. My previous work commute was 10.5 miles, but 9 miles from either end before a set of railroad tracks... so my goal was to ride-like-hell for the first 9.0 miles in less than 30 min (18mph riding averge speed) and then 'cool-down' for the last 1.5 miles. My new 12.5-mile commute is much the same - I try to ride the first portion (~9.6 miles) at 18-19mph+, then 'ride a slower 'cool-down' (3-miles)at 13-15mph....

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 08-29-21 at 10:28 AM.
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 08-28-21, 12:45 PM
jamesdak 

PDG Paramount joined the club this morning. AQI was in the 150's from all the smoke and like the absentminded old fool I am anymore I totally forgot to hit my inhaler before heading out. Lungs hated me the whole ride and really fell apart around mile 19. But the pace was there so I just pushed through. A fair amount of weekend traffic and other riders got in the way today and I wasn't sure I was going to make it today. Cool, calm conditions certainly helped.

30.32 miles, 1:33:43, 409 ft, 19.4 avg pace.

In honor of those who died this week serving their country.
Old 08-28-21, 01:24 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Way to go! Yesterday I hit the road with this thread in mind. I am surrounded by hills, but can get a relatively flat ride in down here in the valley. At one hour in I was at exactly 17 miles, and the 40k speed was 16.9mph, 1 hr. 28 min. Elevation gain was about 770 ft, I think. The killer is the stop lights and stop signs. Just too many for me to keep much of a higher pace.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 08-28-21, 07:19 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by BFisher
Way to go! Yesterday I hit the road with this thread in mind. I am surrounded by hills, but can get a relatively flat ride in down here in the valley. At one hour in I was at exactly 17 miles, and the 40k speed was 16.9mph, 1 hr. 28 min. Elevation gain was about 770 ft, I think. The killer is the stop lights and stop signs. Just too many for me to keep much of a higher pace.
Yeah, stops can kill the pace quickly. As I think about today I had 8 stop signs on the route. But with Utah adopting the "Idaho Stop" I was able to clear all but 3 of them today. A few I can't see well at so I have to slow down some and be ready to brake fast. If I hit cars at all then for sure I'd not pull off the pace unless I found a lot more speed on the route.
Old 08-29-21, 07:04 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 343 Posts
I used to ride pretty hard, and had a habit of pushing the average speed button on my computer as soon as I got back to the house to see how I'd done. (I never came close to 20 mph, given the long steep hills around here; I only occasionally hit 15.)

The actual number fluctuated up and down from day to day. But at some point, I realized that tracking average speed is a mug's game, given that the long-term trend is inevitably going to be a downward one. My solution was to take off my bike computers and stop thinking about speed altogether. That has worked well for me, though maybe it's not for everyone.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 08-29-21, 09:36 AM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
jamesdak Your riding is inspiring in this thread---- and your bikes always inspire, every time you share them. So, so beautiful--- and you RIDE them, which is exactly as it should be.

Thanks for posting, thanks for being the caretaker for such lovely bikes. Exactly why I love this forum......

N
Likes For no67el:
Old 08-29-21, 12:30 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by no67el
jamesdak Your riding is inspiring in this thread---- and your bikes always inspire, every time you share them. So, so beautiful--- and you RIDE them, which is exactly as it should be.

Thanks for posting, thanks for being the caretaker for such lovely bikes. Exactly why I love this forum......

N
Thanks! Ultimately they are just bikes and deserve to be ridden.
Old 08-29-21, 12:48 PM
jamesdak 

Back out again this morning to have another try. This time I took out the Gentleman's Poodle & Grouse Society Lemond. Another bike I know carries speed well so I figured it would help me make the goal even if the legs were tired. Started out slow for the first several miles. Not that the legs felt dead or sore or tired I just wasn't getting the speed up for some reason. I do know that when the temps are in the 50's the air does feel heavier if that makes sense, like more resistance. Probably all in my head, lol! Anyway got things going eventually. This was one of those days though were I almost got taken out. First time was teenagers in a little sub compact that blew a stop sign. I had already been slowing as I approached because I could tell they were going to do that. Mild braking to let them clear so I could continue. But later a pickup pulling a long horse trailer did me wrong big time as I was running in the 22 mph range and the truck was stopped at a stop sign as I approached. There are bushes there so while I could see the driver and he seemed to be looking right out me, I couldn't tell he had a long trailer. Then he pulled right out in front of me and I was grabbing brakes. Then I saw the trailer too and was like crap! Fortunately this bike has a steller build on it and the brakes will pop your eyeballs out. Saved me most likely because that intersection always has a bunch of loose gravel on the pavement there and if I had had to swerve at the last moment it probably wouldn't have been a happy result, LOL! Anyway, other that that and a few times I had to stop for traffic it was great run. I'm beginning to think the old legs might still have a 20 mph avg run in them on a perfect ride.

Same route as yesterday, 30.48 miles, 1:32:48, 428 ft, 19.7 avg pace.

This is a pretty good old beast. I'm sure it went a lot faster when Tim rode it.

Shared this before. This bike is one of a handful Greg had custom made for these guys. My bike belonged to Tim Swift, 4th over from Lemond.

The guys riding the bikes with Greg, this picture is in one of the Lemond Catalogs.

Last edited by jamesdak; 10-28-21 at 07:48 AM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 08-29-21, 03:43 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Great bikes there.

Last edited by leftthread; 08-30-21 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-03-21, 01:53 PM
jamesdak 

Well today's ride was more confirmation that it's more about the "engine" than the bike. I was supposed to still be up in the Yellowstone/Tetons area doing wildlife photography but the smoke from the west coast fires was super thick up there. Got back to my cabin Wednesday evening and realized how bad I was wheezing. So even though I was going to be charged for another's night stay I made the 5 hour drive home that night. Felt off my game yesterday so I didn't ride. This morning i went out on my one XL Super fully planning on laying down another 19mph run. But the lungs had other ideas. I could tell from the start that things were not right. Breathing was off and the HR was too elevated. Still, this Giordana is my one steel ride under 18 lbs, with nice semi aero CF tubular wheels and Campagnolo 11 speed SR/Record build. I figured I should be able to tough it out for 30 miles at speed. Yeah, nope! Lungs went to total crap by mile 7, hacking up phlegm every minute or so. But at this point I was still on pace although not by much. Still kept trying, doing everything I could to maintain speed. Just was not to be. Couldn't carry a easier, higher cadence without the lungs blowing up and when I tried to muscle a larger gear I just had no real power. Stopped a second around mile 15 to grab a snack out of my bag to see if it would help me finish strong and noticed my legs were shaking, weird. Then around mile 19 while still trying to push it my freaking arms were like done. They didn't even want to hold my body up. That usually doesn't even happen to me even on centurys, just sometimes when in the drops on the one 20 mile long mountain descent I do. Oh and I had even cut the ride short going for the bare minimum 24 miles. Anyway, the "engine" was sick today and it wouldn't have mattered what bike I was one. I finished the 24.07 miles at 1:19:20 for a measly 18.2 avg pace. I did do 509 ft of climbing also but that's really nothing. The other day I did that 30 mile ride at 19.7 avg mph and my HR averaged 145 and I never felt I even worked that hard. Today I am totally whipped, the HR Avg was 153, and looking at the speed chart I couldn't hold a consistent speed and really tailed off the last 5 miles or so.

I need a nap, LOL!

I totally failed this bike today!

This short video shows a bit how bad the air was. This was early morning at a distance of maybe 3/4 of a mile and should have been crystal clear. It's a wolf feeding on a kill in the Hayden Valley.

The trip was basically a fail, no scenics because you could hardly make out the mountains, nothing really good for wildlife as my screwed up knees kept me from hiking into the backcountry, and I messed up the lungs again. Only saving grace was hearing this guy bugling at dawn the one morning, Took off into the woods and found him in a small meadow. Got off around 50 shots before I noticed there wasn't a memory card in the camera, doh! Still got a few more before he moved off into the forest.

Last edited by jamesdak; 10-28-21 at 07:51 AM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 09-03-21, 02:39 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray
Yea 19 is work, that is about where I am at for 30 mile rides. I did my century this year at 17.5 and I was thrilled with that.

I saw your location. Is there still a group that does a century around there that loops through Burlington, Battle Ground, and one of those other B towns? I did that ride ~30yrs ago as a teenager, growing up on the other side of the state.
Old 09-03-21, 03:35 PM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I saw your location. Is there still a group that does a century around there that loops through Burlington, Battle Ground, and one of those other B towns? I did that ride ~30yrs ago as a teenager, growing up on the other side of the state.
Yes, the Wabash River Cycling Club, very active they have several rides a day. They just finished their annual century event, which they now hold in Warren county about 30 miles southwest of where you must have ridden. That other B town must have been Brookston!
Old 09-14-21, 08:06 PM
jamesdak 

Another failure on the "new to me" Cannondale CAAD8" Sunday. Once again HR shot up into the mid 160 within the first mile and phlegm built up in the lungs. This just riding the early part which is actually about a 1 percent downgrade at around 19 mph. Fought the hacking, worthless lungs until around 10 miles in when I realized I was being stupid. Just cruised from there finishing the 30 miles at about a 16.5 mph avg. Once again, nothing to do with the bike, everything to do with the engine and my health issues. Back to the DR yesterday and put on another round of drugs to clear up the lungs. Hopefully I'll get in a decent ride tomorrow.

This is what I failed in, I'm certain it's not the bike.

I had this one sitting and ready to go after work today. I just decided to give the lungs one more day's rest. My PR on a 25 mile version of the routes I ride now was done on this bike a couple of years ago even when I was still having a problem with it ghost shifting in the RD. This will be a good litmus test for the lungs because I know without a doubt what this bike is capable of.

This TSX tubed Lemond carries speed so well.
Old 09-15-21, 11:51 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts

This TSX tubed Lemond carries speed so well.
Geez you have some nice bikes!
Likes For shoota:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.