Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Trek 410 is back in its rightful place

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-25-21, 05:52 PM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts

First ride since last week's meet & greet with the asphalt. Also the first ride on my 1985 Trek 410. I bought this bicycle new in 1985, and gave it away a few years ago. I regretted it from the moment it wasn't in my garage. Low and behold, it showed up on Facebook Marketplace! Verified the serial number, yes it is my bike! Back in the garage for keeps this time.
Old 09-25-21, 06:25 PM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
There's a backstory to this and I didn't want to get too windy in the description. I gave this bike to a shop that was going to put vintage bikes on display in their showroom. Apparently they got tired of this much floor space being taken up with non-current stuff. So they sold 13 vintage Trek bikes. Jeffrey Frane, a local collector, wanted just one bike out of the bunch but was told he needed to buy the whole collection. He did, thankfully he started listing the bikes on Marketplace. I recognized my bike, primarily because of the second piece of black tape I had put on the handlebar to cover a cut I accidently put into it a day or two before I was giving it away. After some correspondence with Jeff, I bought it! First thing I did was get new tires to replace the 30 year old ones on there. I had last put tires on in 1991. Nice 25 mile ride today on it. Big smile on the face!
Likes For ultrarider7:
Old 09-25-21, 07:00 PM
owgreenb

Bikes: 1980-some Cannondale ST400 touring bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"If you want something very, very badly, let it go free. If it comes back to you, it’s yours forever. If it doesn’t, it was never yours to begin with." Who knew Jess Lair's student was talking about a bike?
Old 09-26-21, 02:41 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
That is awesome, first, that you recognized it- and second, that you got it back.

Congratulations!!!

Somewhere around 10 years ago I sold my old Trek 820 on CL. I was selling it cheap, and for whatever reason I thought the lady buying it was going to flip it- but I figured she needed the cash more than I did or whatever...

Some 5 years later or so, I happened to be scanning CL and saw my old bike- she was selling it for exactly what I sold it to her for. I recognized it by the way I had the dayglo bottle mount rigged with a hose clamp.

I thought it was cool that I just happened to see it on CL. I also thought it was cool that the lady was passing it along.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy: