Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

!

Old 09-26-21, 06:31 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

I’m moving…kinda forced…I’m down to the inner portion of the bikes…noticed two distinct bicycles…a Motobecane Grand Record and a Trek 1200…put air in the tires last night hoping that at least one of the bicycles would be ridable today…yay! Both bicycles are ridable!
The Motobecane Grand Record’s ride is fast and tight! You gotta pay attention! I must’ve ridden it fairly recently…judging by the tires on it…most of my riders are sporting Continental Hardshell Gators…seashell shards…darn seagulls use the Canal bike path to break their clams and such…dropped from about 15’-20’!
It’s moving to my stable of riders!
The Trek 1200 is a bike that would be/could be someone’s, “Only bicycle”,…pedals easy, accelerates smartly, turns confidently, climbs like a mountain goat, and the brakes will skid the front tire or throw you over the bars!
Oh, yeah. It’s light and comfortable…and it’s aluminum…has a nice compliant ride…for an aluminum bicycle…
I’ve got a 1000, an 1100, this 1200, and a 1400…did they make a 1300?…any of these bicycles is a very satisfying bicycle…
Old 09-26-21, 10:04 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I dare someone to write a topic sentence for the opening post.
Sorry to be snarky. Genuinely confused.
The bikes sound nice and the seagull thing was interesting.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 09-27-21, 12:47 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
"motobecane grand jubilation"? or "my trek ain't no shrek"?

thanks for sharing your enthusiasm. i have no idea about the trek line up you ask of, though
Likes For thook:
Old 09-27-21, 05:31 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 347 Posts
??

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 09-27-21, 06:06 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,185 Times in 961 Posts
"Grand-Trek: Seagulls, Gators, and Goats! Oh My! Need to ease back on my Edibles!"

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 09-27-21, 06:25 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Funny, I also now have only two bikes left, sold down from seven, in anticipation of an incoming custom Hampsten Strada Bianca. One of them that I kept is a Motobecane Grand Record. Definitely "fast and tight," as you say. I'm running mine with tubulars.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 09-27-21, 07:23 AM
billnuke1 

One of my LeChampions has tubulars…it’s still here, too….hmmm…
Old 09-27-21, 07:43 AM
billnuke1 

Got a lot goin’ on…

Originally Posted by due ruote
Sorry to be snarky. Genuinely confused.
The bikes sound nice and the seagull thing was interesting.
I’ve got some, “Life as I have known it.”, changes happening that I have little or no control over…very cathartic sharing my bicycling feelings with the BF community…🥰
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 09-27-21, 08:43 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Hang in there, @billnuke1!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-27-21, 09:42 AM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
"my trek ain't no shrek"?
I think drek is the word you're looking for. Leave shrek out of it.

Likes For Schreck83:
Old 09-27-21, 09:49 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
I get it! Mental Floss(thank you Jimmy Buffet)
Old 09-27-21, 11:42 AM
billnuke1 

There’s another term, but, it will get me in trouble…
Old 09-27-21, 12:21 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Your location says "the cape". Are you in massachusetts? Housing getting expensive/difficult?

I think it's awful they seem to be pricing out all the real folks and replacing them with little more than investors. Real estate is for living in, not for making money off of.
Old 09-27-21, 07:42 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,185 Times in 961 Posts
[QUOTE=scarlson;22247412]Your location says "the cape". Are you in massachusetts? Housing getting expensive/difficult?

I think it's awful they seem to be pricing out all the real folks and replacing them with little more than investors. Real estate is for living in, not for making money off of. [/QUOTE]
I respectively disagree. I've been a real estate owner since the mid 1980s, and for the most part, never made money, until 2020. At that point I made some money after owning a home for 19 years. It was nice to come out ahead, instead in a hole for a change. Just my two cents.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-27-21, 08:06 PM
billnuke1 

Yup. Cape Cod. In the Cape Cod Canal area. Real Estate is tough when you have to split everything!
Old 09-27-21, 08:15 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

i met a real estate broker (?) a few days ago. we briefly chatted and the subject of real estate and development in my little town came up without initiation from me. it was interesting (sort of) to listen to him speak of the area growing and not to worry..it will...as if i gave a damn. i don't think he understands that the people out here are GLAD it's not growing. it's quiet, private, and uneventful. of course, that's what people are generally seeking when they move out to the country. but, there's that point when it ain't country and quiet no more. everything's getting ripped up for development and loads of money is getting made. people gotta do that, of course, but stay over there!!..please...lol
Old 09-27-21, 08:26 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I respectively disagree. I've been a real estate owner since the mid 1980s, and for the most part, never made money, until 2020. At that point I made some money after owning a home for 19 years. It was nice to come out ahead, instead in a hole for a change. Just my two cents.
Aye, I remember when I lived in Twin Mountain NH, people complaining about this. In massachusetts, it's a bit of a different story. The places all made money before, and now they make so much money that it's working against the people trying to rent a place here - or harder yet, buy.

Originally Posted by thook
i met a real estate broker (?) a few days ago. we briefly chatted and the subject of real estate and development in my little town came up without initiation from me. it was interesting (sort of) to listen to him speak of the area growing and not to worry..it will...as if i gave a damn. i don't think he understands that the people out here are GLAD it's not growing. it's quiet, private, and uneventful. of course, that's what people are generally seeking when they move out to the country. but, there's that point when it ain't country and quiet no more. everything's getting ripped up for development and loads of money is getting made. people gotta do that, of course, but stay over there!!..please...lol
Sounds like what my friends in Vermont (some of them are realtors themselves) are saying!!

Originally Posted by billnuke1
Yup. Cape Cod. In the Cape Cod Canal area. Real Estate is tough when you have to split everything!
That kind of forced-move, eh. God speed, and best of luck!
Old 09-27-21, 09:28 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by scarlson

Sounds like what my friends in Vermont (some of them are realtors themselves) are saying!!

i'm not terribly concerned. i think the guy was overly optimistic with $$ signs in his eyes. yes, it's beautiful out here, but it's also at the foothills of the mountains. it'd be really expensive to develop as much of the area doesn't even hook up to municipal water. hell...i can't even get a cell reception in my little spot. there's rock and hills everywhere. and, absolutely nothing to speak of for modern kids to do. moreover, it's almost 30 miles from the college town and area north of there where there is anything to do. so, likely it'll be decades before winslow sees gentrification....which is exactly what's happening in fayetteville north of me. the UofA college town. i mean, it's good, but also sad. it will never be sleepy and cozy, again. good luck affording an apt or small house, too
Old 09-28-21, 07:57 AM
billnuke1 

People are willing to spend a bit more or quite a bit more for the quiet, peaceful lifestyle…a better bicycle….that special bike tool, space, or bicycle upgrade, whatever…you are either the person who does the aforementioned or provides, brokers the aforementioned…
Old 09-28-21, 08:00 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
"Opening soon, the doors of perception. Beware!"
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-28-21, 05:57 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1
I’ve got some, “Life as I have known it.”, changes happening that I have little or no control over…very cathartic sharing my bicycling feelings with the BF community…🥰
, reread first post, seems a stream of consciousness releabillnuke1 , go for it, tough time for you, ride a bike for the smile/escape/destress you are not the first to share and won't be the the last...part of the coolness of C&V

Likes For squirtdad: