Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 10-02-21, 09:55 AM
Youal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Can't believe someone would dump this beauty but I'll gladly take if home and give it TLC. A friend spotted this road bike around his neighborhood and lucky pick it up immediately before it was snagged.

Its a Raleigh Super Grand Prix, manufactured in Canada in 1988 based on the serial number. Its in fairly good conditions with a few minor problems. This include:

- the right Wiedmann brake lever is detached.
- there is dent on the chainring guard. (Is it possible to fix this?)
- no cables to the rear derailluer.
- needs new bike grip. (The previous owner used regular yellow tape.)

All parts are still original, I presumed. I took it for a spin and it still rides quite smoothly. Once I clean/tune it up, this bad boy is ready to roll.

There is slight dent on the chainring guard but it still works.
Likes For Youal:
Old 10-02-21, 12:30 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
I picked up this Falcon San Remo three weeks ago and did a complete rebuild. It was a bit of a mix of parts. I swapped out all components except the brake calipers and tires (like new) with parts I had on hand. I have a total of $42 invested in this bike (including cost of bike). The first picture is from the ad and the last is after rebuild.

Old 10-02-21, 01:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
I picked up this Falcon San Remo three weeks ago and did a complete rebuild. It was a bit of a mix of parts. I swapped out all components except the brake calipers and tires (like new) with parts I had on hand. I have a total of $42 invested in this bike (including cost of bike). The first picture is from the ad and the last is after rebuild.

Nice work, looks great!

And a very cool rack/holder.
Old 10-02-21, 04:10 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Don't actually have them yet but I made a deal with the owner today. Went to an open house in the neighborhood several months ago and spotted these in the garage. Who in the world (not on this forum) needs six of the damn things?

Anyway, the house eventually sold and months rolled past and I'd see the garage open occasionally but there was no one to speak with, and then stuff started showing up at the curb on trash day or in a utility trailer, presumably to be taken to the dump. Never screwed up my courage to knock on the door to ask, probably because it would have been one more thing to have to hassle with on an already full docket, and I'd have to stash them someplace until I can actually get them installed in my garage whose ceiling is higher and sloped. Nothing is ever simple.

Today was organized yard sale day in the neighborhood. I spoke with the lady and we agreed on $20 for all of them, and I take them down. That'll be good practice for the installation.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 10-02-21, 05:57 PM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, a (almost) showroom condition 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs), KMX recumbent trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
"Who in the world (not on this forum) needs six of the damn things?"

Because there are only six, we can presume the homeowner had just started bicycling this season. If the house hadn't been sold, by next year there would have been many more.
Likes For TCollen:
Old 10-02-21, 05:59 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
My wife saw me looking at this on fb this morning and told me we needed it to replace our flexy-flyer Burley that I hate. Seller, I think lurks here occasionally, had it for a great price considering the details. The rear MaxiCar drum needs a couple spokes replaced, but the front is looking good. Color-matched BG racks were on the original order sheet, although I wish the builder had brazed eyelets. Original purchase price in '81 was nearly $2600. As if I needed another winter project...

It looks huge.

BASKET CASE!!!!!
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 10-04-21, 08:04 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I managed to find some Super Champion clone rims 32 holes nos. Ka-bling!!!
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 10-05-21, 10:38 AM
SilverSteve

Bikes: 2003 Iron Horse comfort bike (daily rider); 1981(?) Raleigh Super Grand Prix 25.5", 1983 Raleigh Super Course, 25.5", Austro-Daimler Inter 10, 1988 Trek 560 25.5"; 1986 Peugeot Mont Cenis 64cm.; more to come

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Youal
Can't believe someone would dump this beauty but I'll gladly take if home and give it TLC. A friend spotted this road bike around his neighborhood and lucky pick it up immediately before it was snagged.

Its a Raleigh Super Grand Prix, manufactured in Canada in 1988 based on the serial number. Its in fairly good conditions with a few minor problems. This include:

- the right Wiedmann brake lever is detached.
- there is dent on the chainring guard. (Is it possible to fix this?)
- no cables to the rear derailluer.
- needs new bike grip. (The previous owner used regular yellow tape.)

All parts are still original, I presumed. I took it for a spin and it still rides quite smoothly. Once I clean/tune it up, this bad boy is ready to roll.

There is slight dent on the chainring guard but it still works.
That's a fine ol' beauty, mate. Nice acquisition, and for a nice price, too. She should shine up fine. Chainguard easily removed, five bolts, then hammer and bend out the dent, carefully.
May I suggest white color bar tape? It would match the saddle and the steering tube. But contrast nice, too, like yellow or blue. Happy miles to you! 😊
Old 10-06-21, 05:42 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
My wife saw me looking at this on fb this morning and told me we needed it to replace our flexy-flyer Burley that I hate. Seller, I think lurks here occasionally, had it for a great price considering the details. The rear MaxiCar drum needs a couple spokes replaced, but the front is looking good. Color-matched BG racks were on the original order sheet, although I wish the builder had brazed eyelets. Original purchase price in '81 was nearly $2600. As if I needed another winter project...

It looks huge.

BASKET CASE!!!!!
Very cool fillet brazed tandem. Looks like it came with most/all of the bits, too -- including Magura hydraulic brakes! Maxi-car hubs! Oooh! Weird that the fork is drilled and has eyelets for the rack but there are no eyelets on the back. What is the size? We ride a large Davidson fillet brazed tandem from the 1980s -- it is great. If you're missing any tandem specific bits pm me -- there's a chance ! might have something in my stash.
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 10-06-21, 06:44 AM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I managed to find some Super Champion clone rims 32 holes nos. Ka-bling!!!
Excuse me, where do you FIND stuff like that? Not at the dump I suppose?
Old 10-06-21, 07:16 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by JulesCW
Very cool fillet brazed tandem. Looks like it came with most/all of the bits, too -- including Magura hydraulic brakes! Maxi-car hubs! Oooh! Weird that the fork is drilled and has eyelets for the rack but there are no eyelets on the back. What is the size? We ride a large Davidson fillet brazed tandem from the 1980s -- it is great. If you're missing any tandem specific bits pm me -- there's a chance ! might have something in my stash.
You don't happen to have a smaller frame?

After mocking it up with seatpost/saddles, it's going to be real tight. 56/46cm sizing, I forgot about how high the bb is. Might have to swap 26.4 captain's seatpost to a slimmer head to make room for the stokers's stem.

Not sure if I want to run those hydraulic brakes. Thinking I"ll mock it up with a set of Campy NR sidepulls and see if that's enough with the drum whenever I get it finished.
Old 10-06-21, 09:02 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
You don't happen to have a smaller frame?

After mocking it up with seatpost/saddles, it's going to be real tight. 56/46cm sizing, I forgot about how high the bb is. Might have to swap 26.4 captain's seatpost to a slimmer head to make room for the stokers's stem.

Not sure if I want to run those hydraulic brakes. Thinking I"ll mock it up with a set of Campy NR sidepulls and see if that's enough with the drum whenever I get it finished.
No smaller frame in the stash, sorry!

If you are not doing loaded touring in hilly areas the Campys and the drum will likely be fine.

Have fun!
Old 10-06-21, 09:15 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by Krov9
Excuse me, where do you FIND stuff like that? Not at the dump I suppose?
In all honesty, just about everything I post is purchased from Bikeworks.org in Seattle, a nonprofit of donated items. Bikeworks is a very wonderful organization that promotes healthy living with bike rejuvenation. They have full time paid staff, they also have a lot of volunteers that assist customers with mechanics, lead classes, group rides, and youth programs.

Bikeworks is very unique in that they get volumes of donations in the form of local bike drives, tons from the city, and many many locals that just want, or hope the old stuff can be used. Over there I'm know for buying many items that are considered well past prime, next dump run stuff. They get so much product that they can't always take time to identify. Pricing can be wonky in that time and shop space work against each other. Most French bikes were being trashed, they never work on those. Makes sense not enough return and not consistent to today's stuff.

I always promote Bikeworks, they are also interesting in that they have a shop much like any other used/new shop, and the warehouse where the real Box of Crapstuff resides.

Here are three very typical resent purchases. The crusty Jack Taylor, a Univega Gran Rally, and the Serotta Colorado.

The Univega is a run of the mill purchase, I buy similar refresh and sell. I take that money and buy greater items like the Serotta.

Bikeworks gets so many unique items that l have taken myself to task for repaints. The Taylor above will get a repaint next spring. The Raleigh Team bike did get repaint, it still has a minor issue to be addressed before final assembly.

I had to some arm twisting to save the PR10 from the dump, it was at the bottom of the to go pile. It was asked, which one do you want? Of course the answer was, the moldy one at the bottom.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 10-06-21, 06:25 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Originally Posted by thumpism
All from the same dumpster today. Gitane Grand Sport de Luxe mixte.
This one has moved on after spending a few months in my garage. top506 's brother picked it up for him and will deliver it later on. This frees up valuable hook space for me and will prolong the life and usefulness of the little bike. Thanks, guys!
Likes For thumpism:
Old 10-07-21, 04:56 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Got up for a 7am rummage sale. Scored 4 very nice jerseys for a total of $20.

Also snagged a nice tweed guitar case ($25) and a Pro-ject MM/MC phono preamp ($5)
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 10-09-21, 12:24 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Originally Posted by thumpism
Don't actually have them yet but I made a deal with the owner today. Went to an open house in the neighborhood several months ago and spotted these in the garage. Who in the world (not on this forum) needs six of the damn things?

Anyway, the house eventually sold and months rolled past and I'd see the garage open occasionally but there was no one to speak with, and then stuff started showing up at the curb on trash day or in a utility trailer, presumably to be taken to the dump. Never screwed up my courage to knock on the door to ask, probably because it would have been one more thing to have to hassle with on an already full docket, and I'd have to stash them someplace until I can actually get them installed in my garage whose ceiling is higher and sloped. Nothing is ever simple.

Today was organized yard sale day in the neighborhood. I spoke with the lady and we agreed on $20 for all of them, and I take them down. That'll be good practice for the installation.
Got 'em!

Now, another damn project to get them installed at my place. It never ends.
Old 10-12-21, 07:23 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 173 Posts
Catch for today. A 1986 Schwinn Prelude. Columbus Tenax, Suntour Cyclone and someone switched out the downtubes to stem mounted Suntour Accushift. Also I love the engineering of the rear rack to make it a bouncy rack with an old tube . In my best sarcastic voice. "I guess I'll take it for $6 at an auction".

Likes For brandenjs:
Old 10-12-21, 08:04 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
Catch for today. A 1986 Schwinn Prelude. Columbus Tenax, Suntour Cyclone and someone switched out the downtubes to stem mounted Suntour Accushift. Also I love the engineering of the rear rack to make it a bouncy rack with an old tube . In my best sarcastic voice. "I guess I'll take it for $6 at an auction".

That is a ridiculously good find!!
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 10-13-21, 10:57 AM
SimplySycles1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Dumpster on the way to the park

My daughter and i were riding to the neighborhood park when we spotted this lonely bike sitting outside the trash enclosure. A quick trip later in the day and Bumblebee is in our garage going through a rebuild. She will fit my daughter in a couple of years and i am sure will get lots of happy miles.
Likes For SimplySycles1:
Old 10-14-21, 11:42 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
This is the seller's picture, not mine - I may come back and add more pix later if I get the chance!

1988 Panasonic DX3000 for $40 - the second wheelset (tubulars?) got accidentally packed up by the movers and carried off to the seller's storage unit. The good news is the seller is moving to my county, so sooner or later I will get a text and go pick them up. For now, I'm digging it. It slots neatly between the 1988 Centurion LeMans (Tange 2 tubing with Mangaloy fork and Exage Sports parts) and the 1988 Specialized Sirrus (unknown probably Tange tubing with full 105 parts). Interesting mix of 105 brakes, shifters and derailleurs with Exage freewheel hubs - I think. I'll look closer to see if they actually really early 1st gen Uniglide freehubs without the hump. But for $40? No brainer. Might even be my size. Originally I thought I would be using it as a donor for the Lighthouse, but now I'm not so sure ...
Old 10-14-21, 01:47 PM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Originally I thought I would be using it as a donor for the Lighthouse, but now I'm not so sure ...
That's the spirit!

Likes For eom:
Old 10-16-21, 09:02 AM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 260 Posts
A couple of years since the last time I posted in this thread. Saw a pic in an ad for an estate sale so I went and checked it out this morning. A Gran Sport for $60 - I tried to resist but you know that story... In good shape overall, paint will liven up with a wash and polish and fortunately the seat post was not stuck. I had a 1972 23" white with blue trim that I sold a couple of months ago, this one is larger, will fit better, and I like the blue with white trim. Time will tell if it's a keeper.

Likes For PilotFishBob:
Old 10-16-21, 10:15 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotFishBob
A couple of years since the last time I posted in this thread. Saw a pic in an ad for an estate sale so I went and checked it out this morning. A Gran Sport for $60 - I tried to resist but you know that story... In good shape overall, paint will liven up with a wash and polish and fortunately the seat post was not stuck. I had a 1972 23" white with blue trim that I sold a couple of months ago, this one is larger, will fit better, and I like the blue with white trim. Time will tell if it's a keeper.

Nice score, looks great from here.
Old 10-18-21, 10:27 AM
SimplySycles1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SimplySycles1
My daughter and i were riding to the neighborhood park when we spotted this lonely bike sitting outside the trash enclosure. A quick trip later in the day and Bumblebee is in our garage going through a rebuild. She will fit my daughter in a couple of years and i am sure will get lots of happy miles. (Not like the previous owner that did not ride her around and she sat in bored in the garage)
My daughter wanted to add that last bit.
Likes For SimplySycles1:
Old 10-18-21, 11:59 AM
mitchito

Bikes: 1948 Humber, 1956 Raleigh, 1957 Rigby Bros, 1950s Hercules Renown,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
I knew i shouldn't have followed the sign to the yard sale. I am in Nashville, TN attending to a property I own here and yesterday saw a garage sale nearby. They had this Nishiki Custom Sport asking $25 at the end of the sale. had a very optimistic sticker of $200 on it so I grabbed it. Seems very nice. It is a bit large for me so i may put it up for sale in NYC in the Spri

ng.
Likes For mitchito:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.