Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10 speed Shimano Chain on 11 speed system

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-20, 09:26 AM
grall1126

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I know chains don't cost that much but I have a bunch of bike parts etc from my Shimano set up and now I have an 11 speed set up. Just wondering if a brand new, still in the box 10 speed chain will work with an 11 speed system?

Also, is their a market for the used shimano 10 speed parts? My left shifter is shot.
Old 11-08-20, 09:42 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by grall1126
I know chains don't cost that much but I have a bunch of bike parts etc from my Shimano set up and now I have an 11 speed set up. Just wondering if a brand new, still in the box 10 speed chain will work with an 11 speed system?
Haven’t tried that combo, but experience from fewer speeds suggests ”no”.
Running a more speeds - thinner chain - on a fewer speeds drivetrain is generally OK. But not the opposite. It tends to be too wide and not settle cleanly on the cassette.
Originally Posted by grall1126

Also, is their a market for the used shimano 10 speed parts? My left shifter is shot.
Sure.
Plenty of people who keep ”old” bikes running and need to replace worn out or crash damaged parts.
Likes For dabac:
Old 11-08-20, 09:45 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
It might be noisy from rubbing the adjacent cogs and the shifting might not be the cleanest, but I would try one on the stand and see how it works. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-08-20, 10:02 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...eed-105-a.html
Just going to post that about the used bike I bought that came running a 10 speed chain in an 11 speed setup. The short is yeah it can work and mine did for awhile but I swapped cassettes and it never worked right again.
Old 11-08-20, 08:31 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Don't do it. It isn't worth messing up your 11sp cassette with it. Chains aren't that expensive.

If I didn't already have 3 brand new 10sp chains sitting in my house I'd offer to take it off your hands. I might have offered you something for your 10sp Shimano stuff too a few months ago but I'm all set with that too.
Old 11-09-20, 07:06 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
My experience with using my surfeit of 10 spd KMC or SRAM chains on 3 different bikes with 11 spd cassettes is that
they work fine. The deraillers and cassettes/CW seem unaware of the difference. Until my last 5 chains are used
up I will continue to use the 10 spd chains on the 11 spd bikes. This experience is over the last 6 yrs and thus at
least 30k miles of riding.
Likes For sch:
Old 11-09-20, 02:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
it might work ok on a 2x crank, but a 3x crank can put the thicker chain in a bind when x-chaining the cogs.