Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Stans notube rims holding air after 4 years???

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-22, 05:17 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I pumped up my Stans notubes rims and they are holding air after not riding this bike for 4.5 years. Am I asking for trouble not injecting fluid and going for a ride? I don't have any fluid on hand.

Old 03-06-22, 02:37 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
The biggest PITA about risking it is if you do flat out on the trail you have to really carefully check over the tires for old puncture wounds and pull out whatever caused them. You throw a tube in it without doing that and that old thorn will just puncture your tube immediately. I'd risk it but I'd stick to closer to the parking lot trails and not plan on going 20 miles out in the middle of nowhere and of coarse bring a minimum of two tubes. We all make the mistake of not renewing sealant before it dries up at some point and only finding out when we flat. Did it last week on my hardtail but it happened about 30 feet from the parking lot at the end of the ride so no big deal.
Old 03-06-22, 09:50 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Possibly you'll be OK until the first puncture, but why not eliminate the worry and add Stans before riding?
Old 03-06-22, 09:58 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
because he doesn't have any
Old 03-07-22, 09:08 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Not a surprise they hold air. But your sealant is dried up. So yes...You possible could be facing a walk back to the car.

Just go purchase some sealant from LBS or order it online, put it in and go ride.
Old 03-08-22, 05:11 AM
lyle.coop

Actually ended up getting 2 rides in this weekend with no new fluid. I got lucky and it held fine. I went thru some old moving boxes and found a few ounces of stans fluid (probably enough for front and rear tires.).

I ordered a cheap presta valve core remover and I have the stans syringe setup. I should be all set.

How often do you guys replenish stans fluid in your tires? Debating buying a 16oz or 32oz bottle of stans.
Old 03-08-22, 09:23 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by lyle.coop
Actually ended up getting 2 rides in this weekend with no new fluid. I got lucky and it held fine. I went thru some old moving boxes and found a few ounces of stans fluid (probably enough for front and rear tires.).

I ordered a cheap presta valve core remover and I have the stans syringe setup. I should be all set.

How often do you guys replenish stans fluid in your tires? Debating buying a 16oz or 32oz bottle of stans.
Two ways to check.

1- take the wheel off and shake the bottom of the wheel. If you hear liquid sloshing in there, your good. If not, add some.

2- remove the valve core and use a dipstick to see if you still have fluid in there.

it just depends on which you find easier: removing the wheels or removing the valves.
Old 03-08-22, 09:25 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts

It usually dries up within a 1 year period.

I use orange seal sub-zero. When it comes time to change the tire and clean off the old dried up sealant...Orange seal is much easier to clean off.
Old 03-08-22, 10:57 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
You can probably take the price tag off the bike, now

Nice bike, BTW. I just bought a Tilt. Balance looks like an absolute blast of a bike. Wish I had the terrain to justify one.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-09-22, 01:57 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts

I check/add Stans every 4-6 months, every 4 months if it's been warmer weather or if there's a race coming up as I don't want to risk anything. I have 4 bikes to maintain so I always buy the 32 oz.
Old 03-11-22, 09:29 AM
lyle.coop

Originally Posted by Kapusta
You can probably take the price tag off the bike, now

Nice bike, BTW. I just bought a Tilt. Balance looks like an absolute blast of a bike. Wish I had the terrain to justify one.
haha.... that tag was for a warranty on the cane creek shock.

Yeah, the balance is a heavy duty bike. Back in 2016 when I was riding, I hitting stuff with it. But now that I'm older, I'm probably gonna be more cautious and this bike is overkill. I am gonna sell my DH bike, so maybe the balance could be used for the occasional park trip.
Old 03-11-22, 01:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
It seems like if you know what a Canfield is and where to get one you are probably intending to ride the crap out of it! Sorry it didn't work out. Next time I shop Canfield is high on my list. Want a really solid FS trail bike to carry me gently over the hill
Genesis 49:16-17