Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A Visit to Jeffrey Bock's Shop! Dropped off a frameset to be painted.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-22, 08:27 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts

Hey guys,
I went to Ames Iowa to drop off my 1980 Raleigh Competition GS to get repainted. I had some time to get to know Jeffrey. What a knowledgeable guy. He's an incredible artist. The work he does is amazing and interesting. Please check out the video.

J.J.

Old 08-23-22, 01:31 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,372 Times in 1,578 Posts
I'm guessing that the Competition will win the prize for the best paint job on a Competion when it's all done!

Has Mr. Bock discussed his future plans? Is he going to keep on with this work indefinitely, or is he planning on tapering off the work?

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-23-22, 01:38 PM
Andrew_G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
John:

Thanks for posting the video to your visit at Jeffrey Bock; it was great to see the quality and variety of Bock's work.

The Campagnolo seatpost on your recently purchased DeRosa is the SP-10RE, manufactured from 1995-1997. I owned one of those Record posts for a short while, but I had seat tilt slipping problems, so I went back to the Nuovo Record 2-bolt version (#1044).

In 1994, the Campagnolo road seat posts (Record, Chorus, Athena) all had an aero profile of the aluminum shaft.

In 1998 & 1999, the Campagnolo spare parts catalogs do not show a seat post at all.

In 2000, Campagnolo introduced new seat posts (Record = carbon fiber shaft) with a different one bolt top cradle assembly. I recall (with high confidence) that the setback was increased a bit as well.

All of the dates above are per the Campagnolo spare parts catalogs.

Andrew G.
Likes For Andrew_G:
Old 08-23-22, 02:15 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I am fortunate to live near Ames so I've had Jeff do work for me. He's a great person as well as a superb frame builder and painter. I like the bit on the local bike shops. Bike World is local to me; that's a neat shop.

Last edited by bikemig; 08-23-22 at 02:33 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-23-22, 02:53 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Love your posts and videos John. Also, it was good to meet you at Brazen this year.
Old 08-23-22, 03:00 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
So he can fix frames AND repaint them?
Old 08-23-22, 04:21 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Brings back memories. Jeffery painted my Borthwick frame back in the early 80's He did a wonderful job especially with the beautiful Copper "B" head badge which he polished and clear coated.
Likes For Paul J:
Old 08-24-22, 05:54 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Jeff is at my place right now in Niles, Michigan as he is on his way to the Auburn Bicycle Classic being held this week end at the car museum in Auburn, Indiana. We are both giving presentations on Friday. Some of you might want go to hear his presentation. We are both going to be in a discussion panel right after lunch Friday with a few other well known builders. Also here is Tim Massengill a guy I taught to build frames back in the 80's. He has helped me with our Ukraine Bicycle Project from its beginning in 2000. He does carbon repairs and repaints now. He has repaired George W Bush's carbon Trek a couple of times including paint repair. The former president's Trek bike has the presidential seal and a "43" on it. All of us stayed up late and talked about spray guns and painting techniques. Jeff and I met on RAGBRAI in the late 70's and have been friends sharing building and painting techniques ever since. We will chat about building methods today. I'll explain how my made-in-Ukraine fixture works. Jeff brought along the coolest bike holding mechanism for painting as well as his new spray guns. He is a recent convert to gravity feed guns after not being able to get repair parts for his old Devilbiss guns anymore. Rich Gangl is going to join us when he can get all the bikes he is presenting ready to go. The bikes Rich and Jeff are bringing are amazing. Rich and I went together to the very 1st titanium welding class UBI offered 30 years.
Old 08-24-22, 07:13 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
He’s a framebuilder who paints, so, yeah.
Old 08-24-22, 07:15 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
He’s a framebuilder who paints, so, yeah.
Nice, I need to contact him about my Zunow. Thanks
Likes For shoota:
Old 08-24-22, 12:04 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I'm guessing that the Competition will win the prize for the best paint job on a Competion when it's all done!

Has Mr. Bock discussed his future plans? Is he going to keep on with this work indefinitely, or is he planning on tapering off the work?

Steve in Peoria
We did not go into future plans.

JJ
Old 08-24-22, 12:06 PM
jjhabbs 

Im not sure how much he is into repair. However when he was inspecting my framset he could tell by looking at it that the top tube near hte headtube was out of round. He has that eye...the one that I thought I had.. LOL

Im pretty sure he does restorations. You can give him a call..

JJ
Old 08-24-22, 12:08 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Jeff is at my place right now in Niles, Michigan as he is on his way to the Auburn Bicycle Classic being held this week end at the car museum in Auburn, Indiana. We are both giving presentations on Friday. Some of you might want go to hear his presentation. We are both going to be in a discussion panel right after lunch Friday with a few other well known builders. Also here is Tim Massengill a guy I taught to build frames back in the 80's. He has helped me with our Ukraine Bicycle Project from its beginning in 2000. He does carbon repairs and repaints now. He has repaired George W Bush's carbon Trek a couple of times including paint repair. The former president's Trek bike has the presidential seal and a "43" on it. All of us stayed up late and talked about spray guns and painting techniques. Jeff and I met on RAGBRAI in the late 70's and have been friends sharing building and painting techniques ever since. We will chat about building methods today. I'll explain how my made-in-Ukraine fixture works. Jeff brought along the coolest bike holding mechanism for painting as well as his new spray guns. He is a recent convert to gravity feed guns after not being able to get repair parts for his old Devilbiss guns anymore. Rich Gangl is going to join us when he can get all the bikes he is presenting ready to go. The bikes Rich and Jeff are bringing are amazing. Rich and I went together to the very 1st titanium welding class UBI offered 30 years.
It sucks that I can't make it to Auburn!! I heard that you would probably be there Doug. Jeff bragged on you when I was there. I'd love to see your place if sometime soon if that is possible!!

John
Old 08-24-22, 12:40 PM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Another fantastic vid John, keep 'em coming! My only niggle is the sound quality, even the cc option doesn't capture some of the dialogue and I want to hear it!

Super minor complaint though, your videos often make my evening.
Likes For poprad:
Old 08-24-22, 10:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
He is who I took a framebuilding class from in 2018. Spent 15 or so Sunday afternoons in his shop and way too many of those hours with one of those files in my hand.
Super cool guy- he is crazy talented, but since this wasnt his full time job(he eas a teacher) he is quite humble when complimented.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-24-22, 10:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Do you know if the DeRosa you bought was from a collection of c&v bikes Bike World was selling? Earlier this year they auctioned(then sold) off a bunch of bikes from an employee who had recently passed, Frank Owens. I think he was a 59ish frame size and thought he had a few DeRosa bikes. Thr guy was a huge asset to the community as he was not only an advocate for cycling, but also helped start a local non-profit teen mentorship program that uses cycling as a way to reach goals and work thru challenges.
Cool frame either way.

Jeff definitely has a soft spot for Raleigh as he had a bunch of then in and out of the shop during the months I was there for classes.
Q- will the frame go out for replating the rear triangle?
Really neat that you interviewed him as he defintely does not seek out the spotlight.

Talented painter in addition to builder(he was an art major at ISU back in the day).
He painted the frame I worked on and nailed where I envisooned the fade and the tones...
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-25-22, 01:34 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Do you know if the DeRosa you bought was from a collection of c&v bikes Bike World was selling? Earlier this year they auctioned(then sold) off a bunch of bikes from an employee who had recently passed, Frank Owens. I think he was a 59ish frame size and thought he had a few DeRosa bikes. Thr guy was a huge asset to the community as he was not only an advocate for cycling, but also helped start a local non-profit teen mentorship program that uses cycling as a way to reach goals and work thru challenges.
Cool frame either way.

Jeff definitely has a soft spot for Raleigh as he had a bunch of then in and out of the shop during the months I was there for classes.
Q- will the frame go out for replating the rear triangle?
Really neat that you interviewed him as he defintely does not seek out the spotlight.

Talented painter in addition to builder(he was an art major at ISU back in the day).
He painted the frame I worked on and nailed where I envisooned the fade and the tones...
Hi,
A couple things. Yes, this was one of Franks bikes! They had about 7 or 8 left.. I'm still considering a MASI thats there!. Second. Im not plating the rear triangle. It looks pretty good!

Thanks
Old 08-25-22, 01:35 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
He is who I took a framebuilding class from in 2018. Spent 15 or so Sunday afternoons in his shop and way too many of those hours with one of those files in my hand.
Super cool guy- he is crazy talented, but since this wasnt his full time job(he eas a teacher) he is quite humble when complimented.
I've noticed that. Very humble

JJ
Old 08-25-22, 04:54 PM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
It sucks that I can't make it to Auburn!! I heard that you would probably be there Doug. Jeff bragged on you when I was there. I'd love to see your place if sometime soon if that is possible!!

John
I'd love to see a video of Doug's shop,

Also, don't worry about how you sound or come off in your videos, just be your genuine excited self. Appreciate the effort to document and share these cool experiences with us!
Old 08-26-22, 03:24 PM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
Just thought I’d share. Jeff’s a great presenter and walked through the restoration process of a beautiful Ephgrave.

Likes For alexihnen: