Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Source for Pinarello Gavia TSX Decals

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-30-22, 07:39 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 61 Posts

Anyone know of a source for Pinarello Gavia (Columbus TSX) decal set? Mine is the midnight blue with white panels on seat and downtubes and Pinarello lettering in lighter blue. If I can find these, are these such that I can apply them myself, then maybe carefully spray some clearcoat over them? These vintage Pinarellos famously chipped paint and decal lettering. I considered having the frame entirely refinished (and this would include decals) but the cost would be about $800 so am thinking more of touch up paint and possibly new decals. Opinions appreciated.

Old 08-30-22, 08:25 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Well, personally, I would not pay 800.00s for a respray in order to get a set of decals. You are correct in mentioning the P's are notorious for the quality of their decals. If the paint is good try any number of vendors that sell decals...we all have our favorites. I have used Velo-cals in the past and been satisfied, others will chjme in on the ones the like.
You should be able to apply them yourself.
https://velocals.com/
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 08-30-22, 09:43 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
I am doing a similar project on a Pinarello Catena Luso. I purchased the decals on Velocals and bought a can of clear from spray bike.com. My bike has the Italian ice tricolor paint job, oxidized but in good shape so I don’t want to respray it.

Velocals has the individual decals and sets. I had the best luck ordering individual decals as a group.

Best of luck with your project.
Old 08-31-22, 10:55 AM
gkamieneski

Couple of things; the wearing off decals in my photos, when they scrape off reveal a "ghosting" on the white panels. Is this something I have to buff down to a consistent white panel before applying new decals? It would seem so, or they will detract from the look of the replacements. Basically, when a letter wears off, it leaves behind an outline shadow.

Also, my Gavia has many "engraved" areas filled with white paint. Giovanni's initials and Pinarello are in several places including the bottom of the bottom bracket. Their are also inlays on all of the lugs. Does anyone have a special trick to paint filling these engravings with white paint?
Old 08-31-22, 01:03 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Couple of things; the wearing off decals in my photos, when they scrape off reveal a "ghosting" on the white panels. Is this something I have to buff down to a consistent white panel before applying new decals? It would seem so, or they will detract from the look of the replacements. Basically, when a letter wears off, it leaves behind an outline shadow.

Also, my Gavia has many "engraved" areas filled with white paint. Giovanni's initials and Pinarello are in several places including the bottom of the bottom bracket. Their are also inlays on all of the lugs. Does anyone have a special trick to paint filling these engravings with white paint?
Some reported successful experiences by inserting the new letters in the gaps the old left behind, but chances for that is questionable. Velocals is the usual to-go-to team here for many, but there are eBay sellers in UK, Serbia and Hungary dealing with quality decals as well, friend ordered from them and was satisfied.

As for the detailing, many tricks exist. One is to use a fine modeling brush and paint, apply the paint, then after waiting a minute or two, with a quick swipe, remove the excess with a cloth, paper towel, or your finger.

Here's an article, I just found as I was looking for the orig source of my knowledge.

Another trick is this:

Search for "detailing pen" on Amazon or any web shops, modeller stores.

Awesome bike by the way.... I just sanded an Asolo as a giveaway for a friend for the same problems you have, but it was by far not on par with this....

Lattz
Old 08-31-22, 05:34 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 924 Posts
Looking around the popular decal suppliers, VeloCals looks like your best bet. The trick will be selecting the right colour.

Down tube: https://velocals.com/pinarello-down-...ice-of-colors/

Seat tube: https://velocals.com/pinarello-seat-...choose-colors/

Top tube: https://velocals.com/pinarello-top-t...ice-of-colors/

I've used model paint as per Ray Dobbin's website tips:Paint-Fill Tips

the wearing off decals in my photos, when they scrape off reveal a "ghosting" on the white panels. Is this something I have to buff down to a consistent white panel before applying new decals? It would seem so, or they will detract from the look of the replacements. Basically, when a letter wears off, it leaves behind an outline shadow.
Yeah, it's unlikely the new decals will be exactly the same size as the originals, and even if they were, placing them in exactly the right spot will be tricky. I imagine an automotive cut and polish would do the trick, but you might not get rid of them completely.

Love your Gavia!
Old 08-31-22, 06:16 PM
xiaoman1 

To be honest, the bike looks nice and well preserved. If this was my frame I would leave it alone and enjoy it.....My 'P" has almost no remaining decals and everyone knows it is not a "Tribute P".
Most likely the "ghosting" will remain because of exposure to UV and no amount of rubbing will remove it so unless the decals are the exact size and place correctly you will always have ghosting etc. Be careful not to godown the rabbit hole and begin to remove the white layer.
Best, Ben

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 08-31-22, 07:20 PM
P!N20

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Be careful not to godown the rabbit hole and begin to remove the white layer.
Good point, probably wouldn't take much to reveal the blue below.

I'd probably leave them too. Flaking Pinarello decals are part of the charm!
Old 08-31-22, 07:42 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by P!N20
Good point, probably wouldn't take much to reveal the blue below.

I'd probably leave them too. Flaking Pinarello decals are part of the charm!
P!N20,
In the past, when I wanted things "more" perfect I found myself causing more harm than good....The old saying about "Leaving well enough alone", has meaning to me......but we all need to learn/try.
P.S., I had to laugh about the use of the adjective "charm" my "P" definitely "Charming" with a capital "C", as are a few of my other bikes. The Japanese have a term for these imperfections.....Wabi-sabi
Best, Ben

Wabi-sabi is a concept that motions us to constantly search for the beauty in imperfection and accept the more natural cycle of life. It reminds us that all things including us and life itself, are impermanent, incomplete, and imperfect. Perfection, then, is impossible and impermanence is the only way.

Taken individually, wabi and sabi are two separate concepts:
  • Wabi is about recognizing beauty in humble simplicity. It invites us to open our heart and detach from the vanity of materialism so we can experience spiritual richness instead.
  • Sabi is concerned with the passage of time, the way all things grow, age, and decay, and how it manifests itself beautifully in objects. It suggests that beauty is hidden beneath the surface of what we actually see, even in what we initially perceive as broken.

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 09-01-22, 07:21 PM
gkamieneski

Seems the consensus is to leave well enough alone and just ride it.

I am having trouble finding the closest touch up paint for the midnight blue. The automotive touch up I have from VW is not quite there. I may try some test buffing on 1/2 of one of the white panels, to see where I can stand and I may try paint filling the cutouts in the lugs. Does anyone know what the cutout signifies on the Pinarellos? It is sort of a lower case "t" with upswept arms.

I'll post a new photo. Bicycle currently has white Cinelli cork, a white Selle Italia Filte saddle, white/red Look Keo 2 Max pedals and I have gone back to running the Campy Sewup Wheels I had.
Old 09-01-22, 07:29 PM
P!N20

Does anyone know what the cutout signifies on the Pinarellos? It is sort of a lower case "t" with upswept arms.
I always thought it was a stylized bird, but I could be wrong.

Old 09-01-22, 09:04 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 319 Posts
I have a red Pinarello Gavia.
I replaced the Decals with some from Velocals a few years back. The issue I had was that even though the letters were exactly the correct size as the originals, the spacing between the letters was off so I had to do each letter individually which was a P.IT.A. But the end result was pretty damn good , the lettering looks as good as new and there is no ghosting of the original decal..
Old 09-03-22, 11:58 AM
gkamieneski

Updated photo.
Old 09-03-22, 12:50 PM
xiaoman1 

Updated photo.
Uh, nice clean-up, but what happened to the decals?
Best, Ben

Old 09-03-22, 05:08 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Originally Posted by P!N20
I always thought it was a stylized bird, but I could be wrong.

I always think of it as a stylized Jesus statue from Rio.... well once thought of it, then "can't unsee" since then.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 09-03-22, 05:12 PM
Lattz

Updated photo.
I like the update, although my opinion doesn't matter, as I usually don't like colored tires.
Old 09-03-22, 05:30 PM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Uh, nice clean-up, but what happened to the decals?
Best, Ben
This is the "work in process". Still trying to see how that test white panel on the seat tube cleans up.
Old 09-03-22, 05:32 PM
xiaoman1 

Old 09-03-22, 05:33 PM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by Lattz
I like the update, although my opinion doesn't matter, as I usually don't like colored tires.
That's because I went back to the original GL330/Reflex tubular wheelset with the Conti Sprinters. I have another set of Campagnolo hubs that I can run with clinchers and 9sp Veloce cogs Wheels MFG spaced for 8sp. I really like the old feel of the 8sp chain and 8sp cogs. So quiet, and sure shifting. Shimano doesn't come close.
Old 09-03-22, 05:36 PM
Lattz

That's because I went back to the original GL330/Reflex tubular wheelset with the Conti Sprinters. I have another set of Campagnolo hubs that I can run with clinchers and 9sp Veloce cogs Wheels MFG spaced for 8sp. I really like the old feel of the 8sp chain and 8sp cogs. So quiet, and sure shifting. Shimano doesn't come close.
Whatever you prefer... for me its definitely a winner with the black tires.
Old 09-03-22, 05:50 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Pinarello Gavia (Columbus TSX) Wow! It's nice to see people taking the time and effort to maintain as much a true to manufacture vintage bicycle. A real challenge. Bikes like this make me realize how Frankenised all my bikes are...
Old 09-06-22, 04:16 PM
gkamieneski

Velocals has a lot of options when I look at the Pinarello decals. Looks like getting the right shade of blue lettering won't be easy and then they offer the decals in a choice of 8 materials/thickness. Where to start?

Seems I would need a medium blue on white background. Does anyway know if the decal, e.g., seat tube decal is wrap around blue on white background. In other words these aren't just blue lettering on clear?