Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Looking for gravel bike recomendations 1200 budget new or used

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-06-22, 09:17 AM
plowmanjoe

Bikes: 09' Cinelli Vigorelli, 95' trek 950

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

I bought an old 90s trek singletrack 950 for $40 on craigslist a couple years ago, now, I think. used it as my getaround bike here in brooklyn. I definitely didn't want to spend much money messing with it, it officially down to 2 functioning gears. the rear shifter doesn't work at all. the front shifter gives me access to 2 gears on the front ring.

Instead of investing in overhauling the drivetrain, I want to look into replacing it with a more modern, fully functioning gravel bike.

Just looking at new options, the bikes that interest me so far are the poseidon redwood, state all-road, marin nicasio+.

I would ideally love to find a higher quality used bike if possible.
Old 09-06-22, 12:52 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by plowmanjoe
I bought an old 90s trek singletrack 950 for $40 on craigslist a couple years ago, now, I think. used it as my getaround bike here in brooklyn. I definitely didn't want to spend much money messing with it, it officially down to 2 functioning gears. the rear shifter doesn't work at all. the front shifter gives me access to 2 gears on the front ring.

Instead of investing in overhauling the drivetrain, I want to look into replacing it with a more modern, fully functioning gravel bike.

Just looking at new options, the bikes that interest me so far are the poseidon redwood, state all-road, marin nicasio+.

i personally would invest in fixing up the 950. My bike mechanic’s main ride is a mid 90’s 950 that has been set up as a “gravel bike”. I am unsure of what his gear
train is, but with a $1000 budget you could make that 950 a really nice bike.
Likes For M Rose:
Old 09-06-22, 01:18 PM
billew
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I have a 950 and it is a desired bike, I did a bit better than you did when I found mine in a ditch, it needed new bearings and a BB and wires. It was an expensive bike new with Deore grouppo. You can get road bars on it and bar end friction shifters as many do or leave it as an MTB. It already is a gravel bike I use mine on rides up to 60 miles. I would refurbish the bike you have personally as a 950 is worth $200 all day.
Likes For billew:
Old 09-06-22, 06:24 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
SOunds like you got your $40 worth... I'd leave it at that... and do as you note... keep the 950 for those crappy weather days when you don;t want to beat up the new ride
OR
give it to a CO-OP...
Finding a 'newish' gravel bike, used ? a waiting game, possibly very looong... hot bike category, finding one in stock in your size is as good as it prolly gets... LOL!
The 3 you mention - all good, solid bikes, good quality (maybe not as fancy as a $3K+ CF bike...) but good shifting, reliable and prolly nice rides...
Some considerations - The Poseidon Redwood - very nice bike - if you plan on using as a rigid MTB... or packing a load for distance bike-packing... It IS a chunk at over 30 lbs (33ish ??)
It's about as close as one can get to a rigid MTB, and technical off-track riding. I have one riding bud who is skilled enough to 'Send It' down some serious Rock/Tech terrain on a bike like this.
...not me...
The State and the Marin Nicasio - both steel bikes - nice. I have ridden steel for many decades... prolly solid, nice riding bikes... These both have steel forks... solid, very traditional, not the most comfy ride on road or trail... I prefer a carbon fork... like a Marin Gestalt 1... a great all-rounder for both 'road' and offroad, even a little mtb-lite (which is what we have for 'gravel' in my area).
I'm well over steel forks (even though I have quite a few older bikes with them..) Carbon forks make the ride smoother, no doubt, whether on or off road...
1x Drivetrain is nice... I like for very recreational off-road, trail, mtb riding... If I were using my gravel for 70% road, even rough road, I'd prolly prefer 2x... & certainly 700c over 650...
I have a Poseidon X, which has turned out to be a great !!! bike, Full Carbon Fork, 1x Microshift Advent X (10 spd), solid, reliable, quick riding, solid on some chunky terrain - wasn;t expecting too much, but very surprised on how good it is. My riding terrain is quite chunky/tech, so I added a Redshift Shockstop stem, and a wheel upgrade, but the stock wheels are solid, though a bit heavy (as all wheelsets for bikes in this price range would be)... but have the drivetrain/shifting as stock - works great !
One could get into the 'Geometry' thing for comparisons, but I think they'll all be an easy fit for most humans - given a good 'in the middle' size...
I'd just buy the bike which strikes you as 'best' fit... by that I mean, the one which makes you want to ride it, more often... 'rack mounts? other considerations?
Ride On
Yuri - my younger, growing up days were in WIlliamsburg...
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 09-06-22, 06:41 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
OR
give it to a CO-OP...
+1. A Trek 950 is a nice bike. At the rate you're taking care of it, it'll end up in a dumpster, which would be unfortunate.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 09-07-22, 09:42 AM
plowmanjoe

Originally Posted by M Rose
i personally would invest in fixing up the 950. My bike mechanic’s main ride is a mid 90’s 950 that has been set up as a “gravel bike”. I am unsure of what his gear
train is, but with a $1000 budget you could make that 950 a really nice bike.
One thing I failed to mention is I have some townie handlebars on it and it fits me really well. I think the frame is too big for me if I converted the bike to drop bars.
Old 09-07-22, 09:51 AM
plowmanjoe

Originally Posted by cyclezen
SOunds like you got your $40 worth... I'd leave it at that... and do as you note... keep the 950 for those crappy weather days when you don;t want to beat up the new ride
OR
give it to a CO-OP...
Finding a 'newish' gravel bike, used ? a waiting game, possibly very looong... hot bike category, finding one in stock in your size is as good as it prolly gets... LOL!
The 3 you mention - all good, solid bikes, good quality (maybe not as fancy as a $3K+ CF bike...) but good shifting, reliable and prolly nice rides...
Some considerations - The Poseidon Redwood - very nice bike - if you plan on using as a rigid MTB... or packing a load for distance bike-packing... It IS a chunk at over 30 lbs (33ish ??)
It's about as close as one can get to a rigid MTB, and technical off-track riding. I have one riding bud who is skilled enough to 'Send It' down some serious Rock/Tech terrain on a bike like this.
...not me...
The State and the Marin Nicasio - both steel bikes - nice. I have ridden steel for many decades... prolly solid, nice riding bikes... These both have steel forks... solid, very traditional, not the most comfy ride on road or trail... I prefer a carbon fork... like a Marin Gestalt 1... a great all-rounder for both 'road' and offroad, even a little mtb-lite (which is what we have for 'gravel' in my area).
I'm well over steel forks (even though I have quite a few older bikes with them..) Carbon forks make the ride smoother, no doubt, whether on or off road...
1x Drivetrain is nice... I like for very recreational off-road, trail, mtb riding... If I were using my gravel for 70% road, even rough road, I'd prolly prefer 2x... & certainly 700c over 650...
I have a Poseidon X, which has turned out to be a great !!! bike, Full Carbon Fork, 1x Microshift Advent X (10 spd), solid, reliable, quick riding, solid on some chunky terrain - wasn;t expecting too much, but very surprised on how good it is. My riding terrain is quite chunky/tech, so I added a Redshift Shockstop stem, and a wheel upgrade, but the stock wheels are solid, though a bit heavy (as all wheelsets for bikes in this price range would be)... but have the drivetrain/shifting as stock - works great !
One could get into the 'Geometry' thing for comparisons, but I think they'll all be an easy fit for most humans - given a good 'in the middle' size...
I'd just buy the bike which strikes you as 'best' fit... by that I mean, the one which makes you want to ride it, more often... 'rack mounts? other considerations?
Ride On
Yuri - my younger, growing up days were in WIlliamsburg...
I have a strong preference for a 1x drive train. I think I have a strong preference for 650b, especially since I'm a shorter rider. I definitely need to be able to mount a rear rack.
Likes For plowmanjoe:
Old 09-08-22, 09:31 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

I have a strong preference for a 1x drive train. I think I have a strong preference for 650b, especially since I'm a shorter rider. I definitely need to be able to mount a rear rack.
so that might limit the selection, in the current supply situation. But, yeah, good to have a hierarchy of 'needs'.
Rack mounts are mostly available on the 'new' bikes, not so much on bikes from a few years back...
one thing to consider.
Other things..
wheel size : 650 became a consideration for 'road' when older frame designs hit the lower size limits for smaller riders... but when 'compact design' combined with threadless/Aheadset became common, the smaller wheel diameter of 650 was no longer needed to make good riding 'road' bikes... and in the slightly slacker head angles of gravel bikes, 700c becomes 'normal' in the smallest of frame sizes. Clearance and handling between a sm or xs bike in 700c vs 650b will be almost identical.
Drivetrain : 1x compared to 2x is very similar to a comparo of 2x to 3x... by that I mean, given the broad spread of 10+ spd cassettes on 'gravel' bikes (and even 9 spd) stepping between gears has become quite straight forward - no longer requiring the back and forth between front rings, to get to the next best gear. What happens now with 2x is Big ring becomes 'road' cruising and small ring becomes tight off-road range. Most 1x will range from 11 (some from 10) to 48 or 50, with bigger jumps as the cogs get bigger. 2x usually also starts 10 or 11, but goes to 34-38 - to get the same gear range. If you're mostly riding real 'offroad' type gravel, then 1x broad spread in 'road' oriented riding gears is a small compromise. But if you're doing as much road as difficult off-road, then 1x loses some luster, and 2x becomes a great option. Big ring of 46 to 50 gets you down the road nicely and even up the steepest hills, because you have that 34 to 36 stump-puller cog range. Inner ring gets up through any serious off-road for a 'rigid' gravel/cyclocross (and even rigid mtb) with the 32-28 inner ring and the 34-36 cogs.
But, an 11-50 cassette is a Big Chunk heavier than an 11-36 cassette, add on that heavier stock wheel & tire and the differences can be well over 1 lb , on the rear wheel alone.
Tire size : The wider you go the heavier the tire. key again is where you will be riding... if predominantly off-road, then a 46-48 can be a great call... if most combined road and off, then 38-42 is a great compromise, if mostly 'road', then 32-38 might be the call. Unnecessary width adds sluginess and heaviness to handling as well as the constant act of slight accel and decel ...
I have plenty of road bikes, so if I want road riding, that's what I pick. My 1x Gravel bike spends 90% of it's time on real off-road/dirt, with very rare, very short road type sections...
If the Gravel bike was #1, I would have opted for 2x - as it was I picked the Poseidon X because it was 1x and 'cheap' - I love experiments and a cheap entry was a great option. AS it turned out the Bike is Spectacular !!! as a 90% dirt option... It is a bit pokie, but OK (mostly because of tire/wheel weight and 1x cassette spread to a serious stump-puller 48), for doing longer road sections (still better than a true mtb hardtail... LOL)

given as things to consider in your quest...
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 09-08-22 at 09:37 AM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 09-08-22, 10:09 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I had a Breezer Radar and do recommend Breezer as a good value/budget line.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 09-08-22, 03:33 PM
plowmanjoe

so that might limit the selection, in the current supply situation. But, yeah, good to have a hierarchy of 'needs'.
Rack mounts are mostly available on the 'new' bikes, not so much on bikes from a few years back...
one thing to consider.
Other things..
wheel size : 650 became a consideration for 'road' when older frame designs hit the lower size limits for smaller riders... but when 'compact design' combined with threadless/Aheadset became common, the smaller wheel diameter of 650 was no longer needed to make good riding 'road' bikes... and in the slightly slacker head angles of gravel bikes, 700c becomes 'normal' in the smallest of frame sizes. Clearance and handling between a sm or xs bike in 700c vs 650b will be almost identical.
Drivetrain : 1x compared to 2x is very similar to a comparo of 2x to 3x... by that I mean, given the broad spread of 10+ spd cassettes on 'gravel' bikes (and even 9 spd) stepping between gears has become quite straight forward - no longer requiring the back and forth between front rings, to get to the next best gear. What happens now with 2x is Big ring becomes 'road' cruising and small ring becomes tight off-road range. Most 1x will range from 11 (some from 10) to 48 or 50, with bigger jumps as the cogs get bigger. 2x usually also starts 10 or 11, but goes to 34-38 - to get the same gear range. If you're mostly riding real 'offroad' type gravel, then 1x broad spread in 'road' oriented riding gears is a small compromise. But if you're doing as much road as difficult off-road, then 1x loses some luster, and 2x becomes a great option. Big ring of 46 to 50 gets you down the road nicely and even up the steepest hills, because you have that 34 to 36 stump-puller cog range. Inner ring gets up through any serious off-road for a 'rigid' gravel/cyclocross (and even rigid mtb) with the 32-28 inner ring and the 34-36 cogs.
But, an 11-50 cassette is a Big Chunk heavier than an 11-36 cassette, add on that heavier stock wheel & tire and the differences can be well over 1 lb , on the rear wheel alone.
Tire size : The wider you go the heavier the tire. key again is where you will be riding... if predominantly off-road, then a 46-48 can be a great call... if most combined road and off, then 38-42 is a great compromise, if mostly 'road', then 32-38 might be the call. Unnecessary width adds sluginess and heaviness to handling as well as the constant act of slight accel and decel ...
I have plenty of road bikes, so if I want road riding, that's what I pick. My 1x Gravel bike spends 90% of it's time on real off-road/dirt, with very rare, very short road type sections...
If the Gravel bike was #1, I would have opted for 2x - as it was I picked the Poseidon X because it was 1x and 'cheap' - I love experiments and a cheap entry was a great option. AS it turned out the Bike is Spectacular !!! as a 90% dirt option... It is a bit pokie, but OK (mostly because of tire/wheel weight and 1x cassette spread to a serious stump-puller 48), for doing longer road sections (still better than a true mtb hardtail... LOL)

given as things to consider in your quest...
Ride On
Yuri
Thanks a lot for all of that info to consider. 650b might drop down on my priority list a bit, though I still think I like the idea of 650. Drop bars are also something that's a high priority along with 1x. I have a roadie and a fixed gear for when I feel like I need a bit more speed on my ride.
Likes For plowmanjoe:
Old 09-09-22, 10:11 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Thanks a lot for all of that info to consider. 650b might drop down on my priority list a bit, though I still think I like the idea of 650. Drop bars are also something that's a high priority along with 1x. I have a roadie and a fixed gear for when I feel like I need a bit more speed on my ride.
I hadn't suggested or linked to this bike... I bought one 2 wks ago, (rode 2x now)... why? long story short - My Poseidon X is being shipped to Europe, for my use while I'm there (roughly 6-8 wks a year), so I needed another gravel bike for here in US - I had another bike in mind (VAAST), which fell thru. I came upon the Framed Basswood while wandering thru internet.
1st rides on this bike ? The bike is AWESOME ! I LOVE IT ! I'm very critical on quality and ride; and this meets all expectations. Only dislike is the Flare bars... I dislike Flare bars - that's a problem I would have with any 'complete' gravel bike... SO I have to swap the bars out for more standard 'dropbars' - already in hand...
Framed Basswood 1x APEX 700c
The bike seems to be sold-out from 'Framed' company...
BUT, an online seller I have purchased other stuff from (XC ski equipment...) - The House - apparently still has some stock in this Bike.... not sure how many in any size.
rides like a quick road bike while on-road, handles like a solid mtb while on dirt/trail... The SRAM APEX 1 shifts great, quickly and consistently when I have to react quickly. Wheels are solid, frame is nice, TRP Spyre brakes. Cheapish bar tape... LOL! which I will replace this weekend.
I lucked out in buying this bike - I was expecting to spend $1600-$1700 or more (or buy another X) for my replacement for use here in CA...
I also lucked out and got mine in the brighter Orange frame color - seems only stock remaining is in the Black frame...
anyway... one worth considering... if black is ok...

Framed Basswood - 54cm, with Shockstop stem & Cranks Bros. Acid Pedals - Pre 1st ride pic

Ride On
Yuri - I'll prolly do a 'review' of the Basswood in a week or 2...
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 09-09-22, 12:22 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Just here to say that a Trek 950 was an awesome bike back in the day. Those 90's Trek frames were pretty sweet. I admit to some nostalgia factor here.
I had a 1997 Trek 850 that I purchased brand new and donated to a co-op after 15 years of riding, a decision I now regret. I had upgraded the fork, brakes and drivetrain on that bike and it still remains one of the best XC MTB's I've ever ridden.

I would love to do a single speed MTB build on that frame.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-15-22, 11:44 AM
plowmanjoe

I hadn't suggested or linked to this bike... I bought one 2 wks ago, (rode 2x now)... why? long story short - My Poseidon X is being shipped to Europe, for my use while I'm there (roughly 6-8 wks a year), so I needed another gravel bike for here in US - I had another bike in mind (VAAST), which fell thru. I came upon the Framed Basswood while wandering thru internet.

Ride On
Yuri - I'll prolly do a 'review' of the Basswood in a week or 2...
What's your reason for picking the poseidon x over the redwoods? 700c?
Old 09-15-22, 06:44 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

What's your reason for picking the poseidon x over the redwoods? 700c?
Primary reasons
1. Don;t need another mtb - especially a 'rigid', redwood is essentially a rigid mtb with equivalent weight to a Hardtail. Poseidon X is no lightweight either, at about 26 lbs w/pedals. But still 7 lbs lighter than Redwood.
2. Wanted something which had close to 'road bike' handling
3. Price was NOT a consideration between the 2. I have experience with Microshift stuff, mainly 10 spd road group - it's excellent, reliable and sturdy - so I had no concerns with Advent X for either bike
4. 'Cyclocross' type handling and somewhat narrower tires (35 to 42) as opposed to mtb handling and 50 to 60+ mm tires. Handling is way lighter touch at lower speeds. MTBs get light at speed, but sluggish at lower speeds.
5. Gravel Bikes - certainly the Poseidon X - feel more 'road-like' when on real gravel roads and tarmac.
6. Not a Multiday Bike Packer - so I don;t need the extra weight or lower profile of 650b. Poseidon X does have rack mounts - so small load shopping and day use is fine.

The X is pretty much exactly what works for me and my 'off-road' riding.... Don;t really have much 'gravel road' here (unless I'm willing to drive over an hour - I don;t drive to ride, if i can help it...)
Riding accessible to me is very much mtb-lite. some technical at slower speeds, some steep pitches, mostly rutted trails very suitable for mtb hardtail - BUT the gravel bike is way more fun.
I'm actually thinking for selling an mtb I bought a year ago (I still have an older FS mtb...) because I grab the X before any of the mtbs...
I did add a Redshift Shockstop stem to take some of the initial bite/hit from rough stuff - it's not a real suspension fork setup, but really keeps the front end light and smooths out the hits well.
If you're wondering what I'm talking about, I posted a few pics of what I ride often - in the Gravel Ride Pics Thread - here...

Things I changed on the X
The stock saddle is too narrow for me - I need a 140mm to 145 width saddle - immediate swap
Added Redshift shockstop stem
Changed wheelset to much lighter FSA convertible wheelset - Stock wheels are actually quite good, sturdy, roll well. - but I've always been about 'Wheels' and 'Tires'...
Changed Flare Bars to very slight flare bar - almost traditional road drop bars... don;t like 'flare' bars.
everything else is stock and works great.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 09-29-22, 02:25 PM
plowmanjoe

Was able to pick up a used cinelli zydeco for decent price locally. a little bit flashier than I wanted, but no real complaints. it's a super nice bike.
Old 10-13-22, 05:15 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Good luck with the Cinelli! I was going to suggest a Salsa Journeyer for your price range.
Old 10-14-22, 06:15 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
You can buy a brand new Surly Crosscheck for around $ 1200 or less.
Old 10-14-22, 05:31 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Yeah, but then you would be stuck riding a CrossCheck! If the price was reasonable then the Cinelli used is a good choice with triple butted Columbus aluminum but maybe a wee bit a bit aggressive geometry for most gravel riders.
Old 10-15-22, 06:34 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Yeah, but then you would be stuck riding a CrossCheck!
And what exactly is so bad about Surly ??....Crosscheck is one of the most versatile frames out there, so many possibilities with that frame plus it's steel which is the best material for bike frames.
Old 10-16-22, 07:46 PM
dwmckee

From a recent review sums it up pretty well: "At the end of the day, this bike is something of a jack of all trades. It does everything moderately well thanks to its versatile design and high-quality components, but it doesn’t do anything as well as a more specialized ... bike."

It is heavy, has a steel fork, has no gravel-specific components, etc. There are many better choices for gravel mentioned above. If you want one bike that can sort of do everything, then the Cross Check comes into focus, but that is not what the OP is looking for. It has pretty much the same frame it came out with in 1998; many of the gravel-specific bikes out there today are on their third or even fourth generation of frame design to keep optimizing for better and better gravel use. You certainly could ride a cross check on gravel, but there are much better choices, even in the OP price range.