Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Paramount PDG Series 2 - worth it for $200?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 09-13-22, 08:54 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts

Hey all, I noticed this listing on FB Marketplace and was wondering everyone's opinions. It was tuned up last year and includes new tires. Is it that much of an improvement over my 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe and 1982 Peugeot P8? The Sport Deluxe has a lugged 1020 frame and at least one aluminum rim while the P8 has a lugless Carbolite 103 frame with also at least one aluminum rim (I'd guess it's 24 lbs). Both fit great and feel great. I'm guessing the PDG is about 23 lbs with 700c wheels and aluminum alloy rims. It also looks to be a 56cm frame, which is probably the most critical parameter (I'm 5'10"). I really love the bikes I ride now but I do want to upgrade to a chromoly frame once I reach 5000 miles biked (2600 now), if a good one would represent an improvement over what I have.

Old 09-13-22, 08:57 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
If the shoe fits…
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 09-13-22, 10:10 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 329 Posts
The PDG is worth $200 unless there is something terribly wrong with it. Whether you will like it better than your other bikes is a question only you can answer, and the difference may turn out to be the gearing ratio or the length of the stem rather than the inherent quality of the frame.
Likes For albrt:
Old 09-13-22, 10:18 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Originally Posted by albrt
The PDG is worth $200 unless there is something terribly wrong with it. Whether you will like it better than your other bikes is a question only you can answer, and the difference may turn out to be the gearing ratio or the length of the stem rather than the inherent quality of the frame.
Thanks! Yeah I figured this. I wonder if I should better understand the gearing ratios on those two bikes and consider if I want higher gears or more gears on the freewheel. I also wonder if I could swap out the Panasonic rear wheel for an aluminum one if it is in fact steel to save a bit more weight. It's definitely a wonderful ride as it is, just sometimes it feels like I spin out a bit too much going down hills.
Old 09-14-22, 06:26 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts
Those PDG Paramounts are excellent bike and that one is well worth the asking price by what I can see. The frame is more than worthy of any parts upgrades you want to do to it.
Old 09-14-22, 07:38 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Your weight guesses are just that, guesses. I would expect the Panasonic and Peugeot to weigh more than those guesses.

As a practical matter, you cannot upgrade either to match what you are getting with the Paramount, due to frame tubing. You also have the advantage of 700c wheels versus 27 inches, dual pivot brakes, better derailleurs, indexed shifting.

On gearing, there are plenty of gear calculators on the web that can guide you.

Something wrong with the FD shift lever. There is a stop built in to the lever that prevents that position. So its either broken or mis-installed, not end of the world.

Last edited by wrk101; 09-14-22 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-14-22, 09:17 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Nice bike worth the price as for gearing it is fairly easy to go down one or two sizes on the front small ring for about $10 so not really an issue.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 09-14-22, 10:54 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by molleraj
Hey all, I noticed this listing on FB Marketplace and was wondering everyone's opinions. It was tuned up last year and includes new tires. Is it that much of an improvement over my 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe and 1982 Peugeot P8? The Sport Deluxe has a lugged 1020 frame and at least one aluminum rim while the P8 has a lugless Carbolite 103 frame with also at least one aluminum rim (I'd guess it's 24 lbs). Both fit great and feel great. I'm guessing the PDG is about 23 lbs with 700c wheels and aluminum alloy rims. It also looks to be a 56cm frame, which is probably the most critical parameter (I'm 5'10"). I really love the bikes I ride now but I do want to upgrade to a chromoly frame once I reach 5000 miles biked (2600 now), if a good one would represent an improvement over what I have.

"Worth it for $200" ? - yes

"Is it that much of an improvement over my 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe and 1982 Peugeot P8?" - yes

" I really love the bikes I ride now but I do want to upgrade to a chromoly frame once I reach 5000 miles biked (2600 now), if a good one would represent an improvement over what I have" - why torture yourself with sub-par machinery for another 2400 miles ? Ride the Paramount to 5000 then get a modern bike as a reward if you must, however, that PAramount will accept any type of modernization you can think of just fine - your other bikes- not so much
Likes For DMC707:
Old 09-14-22, 07:00 PM
molleraj

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Those PDG Paramounts are excellent bike and that one is well worth the asking price by what I can see. The frame is more than worthy of any parts upgrades you want to do to it.
Oh that's excellent! Maybe this is the n+1 to end all n+1s haha :-)
Old 09-14-22, 07:20 PM
molleraj

Originally Posted by wrk101
Your weight guesses are just that, guesses. I would expect the Panasonic and Peugeot to weigh more than those guesses.
Fair enough, though the Panasonic Sport Deluxe (basically the same thing as the original Schwinn LeTour) is 30-32 lbs with steel rims and this has at least one aluminum rim, which should save some weight (maybe 2 lbs?). The Peugeot P8 is 27 lbs stock for a 23" frame and mine is 21". It also has aluminum rims I think both front and rear that would further lighten it. That's why I'd guess it's 24-25 lbs.

As a practical matter, you cannot upgrade either to match what you are getting with the Paramount, due to frame tubing. You also have the advantage of 700c wheels versus 27 inches, dual pivot brakes, better derailleurs, indexed shifting.
Yeah, honestly one of my main reasons for being interested was the 700c wheels, after the frame tubing. The brakes and derailleurs would also be big upgrades. I didn't realize the Paramount had indexed shifting - nice.

On gearing, there are plenty of gear calculators on the web that can guide you.
Nice! I will take a look.

Something wrong with the FD shift lever. There is a stop built in to the lever that prevents that position. So its either broken or mis-installed, not end of the world.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-14-22, 08:02 PM
molleraj

Originally Posted by DMC707
"Worth it for $200" ? - yes

"Is it that much of an improvement over my 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe and 1982 Peugeot P8?" - yes

" I really love the bikes I ride now but I do want to upgrade to a chromoly frame once I reach 5000 miles biked (2600 now), if a good one would represent an improvement over what I have" - why torture yourself with sub-par machinery for another 2400 miles ? Ride the Paramount to 5000 then get a modern bike as a reward if you must, however, that PAramount will accept any type of modernization you can think of just fine - your other bikes- not so much
Nice! Sounds like this is the probably the best early 1990s road bike (on the edge of vintage I guess) that I could get.
Old 09-15-22, 02:04 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by molleraj
Nice! Sounds like this is the probably the best early 1990s road bike (on the edge of vintage I guess) that I could get.
There's always something out there, "better", lighter, cheaper , newer that'll hit Marketplace or Craigslist 3 days after you bring home your new to you prize, but yes, the PAramount is still a nice bike

But again i may be a tad biased -- i have one too

And like others have stated -- the bike is totally worth modernizing later on if you want , - or right upfront also -- i believe there is a thread on here somewhere about modernized vintage bikes , but most of them follow a similar pattern --- the bike below is the only bike i've truly "modernized" as most of my bikes are from the 90's where integrated shift/brake levers were quite common, -- but in this case i took an old Italian frameset and updated it to modern 11speed (or maybe 10 - i forgot ) , found a crankset with 50/34 compact gearing , used an adapter to use big diameter modern , shallow bend bars and premium tires.
- I did sell it as the top tube was still a stretch for me, even with the short stem , but i was truly proud of how it turned out and the old machine was right at home on any group ride (even the fast ones)

The PAramount frameset would be a great host for this type of update also

Likes For DMC707:
Old 09-16-22, 07:53 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
sweet looking bike and well worth $200

the frame - hand built Tange Prestige OS tubes with investment cast lugs - is worth $200 alone

the factory / OEM gearing might be ok for riding on flat terrain - for just about everything else it's a big miss

the easiest way to improve the gearing for hills would be to replace the 13-23 OEM cassette with an XT 7spd 12-28 cassette (or similar) ... there is a good chance the chain length is ok and will permit big/big without destroying the stock RD (or requiring a different chain and/or RD) - but be careful (and avoid big/big anyways)

other drivetrain components can be upgraded if desired - that frame would be an ideal home for 105 or 600 stuff (similar to Series 5 and 7)

few additional upgrades ? ... American Classic seatpost (or whatever) and seat of your choice ... some high end tires ... and it will be a sweet ride ...

Last edited by t2p; 09-16-22 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-16-22, 08:16 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
There's always something out there, "better", lighter, cheaper , newer that'll hit Marketplace or Craigslist 3 days after you bring home your new to you prize, but yes, the PAramount is still a nice bike

But again i may be a tad biased -- i have one too

The PAramount frameset would be a great host for this type of update also
Well...since we're sharing pics now I need to show mine off, LOL!

Still running an 8 speed setup and despite it being one of my heavier bikes with a 42T small ring it is one of my best climbers. Puts power to the road really well.

How I took it out this July 4th.
Old 09-16-22, 08:36 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
Nothing like a comparison.......
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors