Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Socket Head Screw Assortment

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 11:37 AM
jays35

Bikes: 3 - Bianchis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am looking to get an assortment of socket head screws set for my bikes to have on hand. Can anyone recommend a place to purchase? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-22, 11:50 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 6,478 Times in 3,205 Posts
Check eBay and filter on US sellers.

And also check harborfreight.com.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-27-22, 11:57 AM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 433 Posts
Belmetric: https://belmetric.com/socket-products/

I wouldn't trust the quality from an eBay seller. Especially for a critical component that has safety consequences, don't take a chance.

Belmetric is the go-to place for us car guys.

Mark
Old 03-27-22, 12:12 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
The local Ace Hardware has drawers of all kinds of nuts, bolts, etc. And yes, they do have metric. With so much going pre-packaged, if you have an Ace nearby, might want to check.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 03-27-22, 12:22 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
McMaster-Carr and Grainger are large industrial supply houses and both will sell to individual purchasers in person and on-line. If they don't have it it probably isn't made.

Bolt Depot and Fastenal are specialty fastener shops that also sell on-line and are good sources.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 03-27-22, 01:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Do you break or otherwise trash a lot of screws for your bikes? Seat post clamp bolts are probably the only screw on a bike I've had to ever replace and not more than I have fingers on one hand.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-27-22, 01:25 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
As others mentioned, ACE Hardware has a very good selection of fasteners in stainless metric.
Old 03-27-22, 02:13 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
I buy mine in bulk from Fastenal, they are a large screw and bolt distributor. I buy in 100 piece packages and get stainless steel for the bikes. HTH, MH
Old 03-27-22, 03:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
Yet another vote for Ace, aka A-Boy Electrical and Plumbing. Boxes of 100 sound nice and cost effective but I want a variety of different lengths. I like several different head styles depending on application.

Here in the PNW, we have Tacoma Screw, another very good fastener source. (I forget what I started going to the Seattle one for but I quickly discovered they had #2 round heads and nuts that made perfect replacements for the beautiful SS screws my favorite harmonicas are assembled with. Yes, a step down in class, but now, if I had to disassemble one to remove a bit of food clogging a reed, I could use a standard dinner knife and my thumb and not need a special tiny Phillips no one had. One of the trials of playing the blues. Low light, late at night and around food. Food particles are the curse! The founder of the harmonica company and designer of the ground breaking harmonicas 40 years ago chuckles when I tell him I routinely remove his works of art and replace them with those cheap screws but he doesn't scold me.)
Old 03-27-22, 04:51 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
My local “The Hardware Store” used to be an Ace franchise and I believe a Hardware Hank before that . More of an independent store now. What used to be a good selection of fasteners is now a GREAT selection! Metric as well as SAE, socket head, Phillips, Torx etc. They are always my first stop. I found Fastenal to be a bit spendy but the selection is, as one might expect, very good.
Old 03-27-22, 04:57 PM
WT160

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Tractor Supply often has a good selection, too.
Old 03-27-22, 11:57 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Box stores aell small quantity fasteners in poly packs at inflated prices. Thats OK if you need something quick to finish a job, but expensive on the long haul.

Check and see if you have a local fastener supply house. You'll get good process there AND they might have an assortment like you asked for.

Failing that parts houses like the before mentioned McMaster, Fastenal and (new to me) Balmetrics are your best bet.
Old 03-28-22, 06:58 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Before you go too far and buy a huge assortment, keep in mind the great majority of the bolts used on bikes are M5x0.8mm in a rather limited range of lengths, certainly nothing longer than 25mm, and an occasional M6x1.0mm for seatpost clamps and similar. The only other threading I'm familiar with is M8x1.0 (not the more common M8x1.25) used for square taper crank bolts and M10x1.0 for rear derailleur mounting bolts but neither of these are routinely replaced.
Old 03-28-22, 07:51 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Marine hardware sources like West Marine, regularly stock metric stainless fasteners. Some of the fasteners are available with Hex Socket/Allen Key drives or Phillips style drives.
One caveat, though, Stainless screws fastened directly into aluminum cab be subject to Electrolytic corrosion, especially near coastal areas and salted roads and Winter bikes. A good quality dielectric grease should be used as it is both anti rust/ corrosion resistor and electrically insulates (or at least improves insulation) to ward off the electrolysis process.
Fastenal and Grainger both sell assortment kits of metric bolts and nuts. Fastenal also sells sets in hardness ratings. Although not really as critical on a bike, I do use the same assortment for auto applications.
Old 03-28-22, 07:03 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
There is also the choice of stainless, anodized, or chrome. Hardly anyone uses chrome. Stainless looks better but it galls with over tightening. Anodized is stronger but will rust out eventually. An assortment is overkill but I know the feeling. Most of what you need is for racks and bottle cages. Some racks take longer bolts. And as noted above, anti seize paste, dielectric grease, and Loctite are your friends.
Old 03-28-22, 07:49 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I've never heard of anyone needing an assortment of generic screws in order to work on bikes. Most of the screws used on a bike are specialized screws and not generic off-the-shelf items. And most of the time when you strip something on a bike, it's not the screw but the threaded hole in the aluminum part that gets stripped out.
Old 03-28-22, 09:33 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
4,5,6mm Stainless Steel Fastener Kit
Old 03-28-22, 11:46 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I've never bought an assortment of bolts (not screws... my bikes don't have any screws, only bolts) for a bike, but for some reason I have dozens of them in a little box I keep in my bike-shop-area. (garage). On the rare occasions I need something I don't have in that little box of sh.., I mean stuff, I go to my local Tru Value hardware store where they have every imaginable fastener and lots of other neat little things.
Old 03-29-22, 05:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Do you break or otherwise trash a lot of screws for your bikes? Seat post clamp bolts are probably the only screw on a bike I've had to ever replace and not more than I have fingers on one hand.
I haven’t broken a bolt in more than 20 years (probably closer to 30) nor have I had screws fall out due to unscrewing. That doesn’t mean that I lack a supply of bolts. They come in often come in handy. Racks and water bottle cages are the primary use.

Originally Posted by Davet
As others mentioned, ACE Hardware has a very good selection of fasteners in stainless metric.
Probably the best choice. No need to keep too many on hand.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-29-22, 06:05 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I've never heard of anyone needing an assortment of generic screws in order to work on bikes. Most of the screws used on a bike are specialized screws and not generic off-the-shelf items. And most of the time when you strip something on a bike, it's not the screw but the threaded hole in the aluminum part that gets stripped out.
Well now you have.

Probably anyone that builds, restores, or flips bikes wants/needs a assortment. some will make do with droppings from other bikes others just want a bin. Most of the hardware is pretty standard stuff...

for the OP if you want bulk mcmaster, or fastenall. if you want a little kit amazon or ebay. if its just one or two stray things hardware store.
Old 03-29-22, 06:23 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
While there are a few specialized screws on bicycles, there are a whole lot that are just standard bolt. Water bottle cages, rack mounts, brake bolts, stem bolts, etc are all use ordinary bolts. Even derailer limit screws are a standard thread. They just happen to be a bit long.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-29-22, 11:48 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Where do folks get cable end-cramp thingys?
Old 03-29-22, 12:02 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Google cable end crimps for sources, same on amazon as well. Note different sizes for derailler versus brake cables.
Or any bike shop .....

I bought 100 stainless SHCS in 5Mx0.8 20 yrs ago from Mcmaster and haven't use 10 of them since. I second those
that note a lot of the bolts on bikes are special heads or odd lengths. The 5Mx0.8 or 6Mx1.0 are common in bottle
cage, some derailler bolts and fender or rack mounts, but a lot of the other fasteners are bicycle only use.
Likes For sch:
Old 03-29-22, 12:08 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Where do folks get cable end-cramp thingys?
ebay is another source. You can get them in lots of different colors or even with skulls if you like.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-29-22, 12:15 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by sch
Google cable end crimps for sources, same on amazon as well. Note different sizes for derailler versus brake cables.
Or any bike shop .....
For cable crimps, there’s only one size. For ferrules (different from cable crimps), 4mm is common for derailer cable and 5mm is common for brake cable.

I bought 100 stainless SHCS in 5Mx0.8 20 yrs ago from Mcmaster and haven't use 10 of them since. I second those
that note a lot of the bolts on bikes are special heads or odd lengths. The 5Mx0.8 or 6Mx1.0 are common in bottle
cage, some derailler bolts and fender or rack mounts, but a lot of the other fasteners are bicycle only use.
I wouldn’t by 100 of any bolt for bicycle use. I probably wouldn’t by 100 of any fastener for home use.

About the only “bicycle use” only fasteners that I can think of are ones on the derailer that need a stop. Most everything else are 5M and 6M. Older bikes might use something less standardized but modern bikes (post 1995), there’s very few bolts that you can’t find replacements at you local hardware store.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.