Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help with 1x Chainring for climbing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-22, 06:08 PM
PacificSpray

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I live and tour in steep hilly areas and want an easier climbing gear for mostly pavement and rail trails.
I have an HPV FX20 Gekko trike (20” rear wheel).
Hub is SA 3-speed, Cassette 8-speed (11-34) and Chainring 1x110bcd (5 bolt) 46T. So effectively a 1x 24 speed.

I’m considering a 34T or 36T chainring. The crank arm looks like 170mm.
I never use the highest gears.
My online searches reveal that I could easily err because of my limited knowledge of chainrings, and I’m not confident to proceed.
Would you knowledgeable folk please guide me and/or suggest something suitable, and point out potential pitfalls?
Old 07-08-22, 06:17 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Your 110bcd 5-bolt crank will fit as small as a 33T chainring (34T is far more common) so your proposed change will work. I don't know if your current 46t chainring is a "narrow-wide" design to aid chain retention but try to find a replacement of that type.
Old 07-08-22, 06:21 PM
PacificSpray

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thank you. Are chainrings specific to 1x, 2x or triple setups or can I ignore that?
Old 07-08-22, 06:31 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by PacificSpray
Thank you. Are chainrings specific to 1x, 2x or triple setups or can I ignore that?
They can be, but narrow-wide chainrings are in general 1x-specific. The narrow-wide profile is specifically intended to prevent the chain from derailing, which obviously is problematic if you're using a front derailleur.
Old 07-08-22, 06:43 PM
PacificSpray

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The teeth, on close inspection, appear to be of constant width, but on either side of the ring are very effective supports. This suggests to me that a smaller ring might no longer be supported as effectively. So a narrow-wide would become more important?
Old 07-08-22, 08:34 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

OK, your current crank has chain guards on both sides of the chainring and these keep the chain in place. A smaller chainring will probably allow the chain to rub on the guards when on either end of the cassette. So, delete the guards and use a narrow-wide chainring to accomplish the same thing. Depending on the thickness of the current set-up you may need shorter chainring bolts when the guards are removed.
Old 07-08-22, 09:35 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 519 Posts
Here is the equivalent of your setup now. The SA 3 speed gives you the same as a 55x46x33 triple. With this you have a low of 21.9 Gear inches

Changing to a 34t chain ring will lower that to 15.7 gear inches.

Not too much of a difference. When you get that small you can almost walk faster. Going to a 42 or 39 might be easier and still give you some in the upper ranges.
Old 07-08-22, 10:04 PM
PacificSpray

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
Here is the equivalent of your setup now. The SA 3 speed gives you the same as a 55x46x33 triple. With this you have a low of 21.9 Gear inches

Changing to a 34t chain ring will lower that to 15.7 gear inches.

Not too much of a difference. When you get that small you can almost walk faster. Going to a 42 or 39 might be easier and still give you some in the upper ranges.
Thank you for your work. I appreciate it.
Old 07-08-22, 10:09 PM
PacificSpray

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
OK, your current crank has chain guards on both sides of the chainring and these keep the chain in place. A smaller chainring will probably allow the chain to rub on the guards when on either end of the cassette. So, delete the guards and use a narrow-wide chainring to accomplish the same thing. Depending on the thickness of the current set-up you may need shorter chainring bolts when the guards are removed.
That makes sense to me. Thank you.
The plate thickness of the 46T is 3mm (aluminum). Two prospects on Amazon are both 4mm. Without the side pieces I may be able to use the existing bolts/screws.
Old 07-09-22, 07:39 AM
HillRider

The OP is riding a trike so there is no such thing as too low a low gear. They are heavy and climb very poorly since you can't stand to use your weight and they can go at a crawl speed since they can't fall over. Yes, you could walk faster than the lowest gear will let you pedal but not uphill and pushing the trike.
Old 07-09-22, 10:01 AM
PacificSpray

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The OP is riding a trike so there is no such thing as too low a low gear. They are heavy and climb very poorly since you can't stand to use your weight and they can go at a crawl speed since they can't fall over. Yes, you could walk faster than the lowest gear will let you pedal but not uphill and pushing the trike.
You are correct. The OP also has very old knees.
Old 07-09-22, 10:10 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
They can be, but narrow-wide chainrings are in general 1x-specific. The narrow-wide profile is specifically intended to prevent the chain from derailing, which obviously is problematic if you're using a front derailleur.
Originally Posted by PacificSpray
The plate thickness of the 46T is 3mm (aluminum). Two prospects on Amazon are both 4mm. Without the side pieces I may be able to use the existing bolts/screws.
PacificSpray is using an 8 speed cassette and presumably an 8 speed chain. Are there narrow wide 8 speed chain rings? Is he not better off with a regular chain ring?

Surly 34t x 110mm Stainless Steel 5-bolt Chainring - Modern Bike

Surly 36t x 110mm Stainless Steel 5-bolt Chainring - Modern Bike
Old 07-23-22, 07:35 PM
PacificSpray

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have replaced the factory 46T narrow chainring with a Deckas 34T 110x5B round narrow-wide (Amazon). It fits perfectly and has addressed my climbing problem. And I learned what I needed to learn from the replies. Thank you.