Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Painting a wheel

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Painting a wheel

Old 08-23-22, 12:53 AM
Zdawg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Painting a wheel

Can I take a can of spray paint and just spray all over the wheel (rims, spokes, hubs), just taking care of the bearings by covering them with tape?

Also, do I need to sand down the rims or anything else before painting?

Thanks
Old 08-23-22, 02:22 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
1. Rim brakes?
2. I’ve seen a lot of ugly wheels with peeing paint on the spokes and nipples. Might just be cases of poor prep, but it’s not a great look. Scuffing and properly degreasing anything you want paint to stick to would likely help.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 08-23-22, 03:10 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Sure, you can do it. It is quite likely to have a short life span. What will you do about the brake tracks? As stated above, proper prep is essential, a self-etching primer would help the paint to adhere. I have seen pictures of wheels on the forums that were home painted and looked quite nice. IME, do not worry about good coverage on the first couple of coats. Final look will be better with multiple thin layers, letting the final work sit for a few days in a warm environment, like an attic or car on a hot day, makes a difference in the curing of the paint. Hopefully, you are talking about a set of wheels that has very little value.
For me, I thought about it, decided it just was not the way to go. Wheels take a lot of abuse.
Old 08-23-22, 06:46 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Getting paint on spoke threads and nipples may mean they'll never be adjusted again.

I spent my misguided youth as a plumber's apprentice and cursed every homeowner who painted pipe.
Old 08-23-22, 02:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Hard to say. A lot depends on what your expectations are. If you want it to look like a museum quality piece and to remain in that state, then you need to do prep work. Lots of prep work. Cleaning, sanding, feathering, priming, filling odd looking places with filler so they look better to the eye. That's always the key to any decent paint job.

As for just spraying it. Sure, sometimes you get away with that and it looks good. Sometimes for a long while, sometimes for a short while, sometimes not even from the start. I and others have likely had some great results not doing prep and bad results not doing proper prep work.

And it's usually a good idea to see what the manufacturer of the particular paint you are using has to say. Compatible primers, other compatible paints, recoat times and the like are things you should find out about.

So roll your dice and see!

Last edited by Iride01; 08-23-22 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-23-22, 04:27 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,531 Posts
.if it is rim brakes tape the braking surfaces.

but no matter what it going to look like crap in a very short time.

so by all means paint if you are going to burning man and have to have a pink bike to match what you are or are not wearing, just don't expect it to look good for long

Old 08-23-22, 04:33 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Yes.

Yes, you can have a bike that looks exactly like that one. All you have to do is die in a bike accident caused by a careless motorist.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-23-22, 06:21 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Old 08-24-22, 01:38 AM
Zdawg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It has a braking track but it isn't used (fixed gear back wheel). It's got this ugly white colour way which I hope to make black. Its a very cheap wheel so not too worried with imperfections. It's got white rims, silver spoke nipples, white spokes and a silver hub. A horrid look IMO especially when the rim gets dirty. I'm just looking to get rid of that aesthetic with little work involved

Thanks
Old 08-24-22, 03:09 AM
Timothyevans

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can but you have to do it very carefully, besides that you have to remove all the old paint and wipe the wheel with spirit or acetone before painting.