Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Non-Brompton foldie riders: tricks, tips, or gadgets for consistent seatpost height?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Non-Brompton foldie riders: tricks, tips, or gadgets for consistent seatpost height?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-22, 02:42 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by CEBEP
My take on this is to buy only cheap parts there unless you know seller is solid. Even if something goes wrong with $10 purchase I wouldn’t be too sad about it.
For a seatpost (or handlebar, or any components that can cause damages in case of failure), the 10$ loss is not the problem, the problem is the consequences of the component failure !
Old 08-28-22, 03:10 AM
CEBEP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
For a seatpost (or handlebar, or any components that can cause damages in case of failure), the 10$ loss is not the problem, the problem is the consequences of the component failure !
Can you give an example of $10 aluminum seat-post failure?
Old 08-28-22, 08:21 PM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
The problem is the management sides with a seller based on the wrong critera, and that ruins it for all of us. And $10 adds up over time, so it's a bigger deal in the long run.
No longer an AliExpress customer myself. The same thing happened to me. I got ripped off by DHGate as well. E Bay from now on.
Old 08-28-22, 08:28 PM
wesgreen

Originally Posted by CEBEP
Can you give an example of $10 aluminum seat-post failure?
I have experienced countless examples of badly designed/malfunctioning Chinese products. The latest are ball point pens I bought via Amazon. I do have a Litepro seat post ($20). The jury is out on how long the under designed saddle connection will function.
Old 08-28-22, 10:43 PM
CEBEP

Originally Posted by wesgreen
I have experienced countless examples of badly designed/malfunctioning Chinese products. The latest are ball point pens I bought via Amazon. I do have a Litepro seat post ($20). The jury is out on how long the under designed saddle connection will function.
I do have a latest BWM (insert any EU or US car brand and it’s price). The jury is out on how long it will last without braking.

Last edited by CEBEP; 08-28-22 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-28-22, 10:51 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
FWIW & FYI, the saddle clamp mechanism on the Litepro A61 seatpost is identical in construction to that on the stock seatposts on my two FSIR bikes. Which I've used without incident or drama. For four years since 2018. At times on extended tour. With a loaded saddle bag perched on the saddle rails. 😎

Now, I weigh 70kg. If you are a porker 🐖, the A61 is not for you since its weight limit is 80kg.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 08-28-22 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-28-22, 10:57 PM
CEBEP

Originally Posted by wesgreen
No longer an AliExpress customer myself. The same thing happened to me. I got ripped off by DHGate as well. E Bay from now on.
It’s entirely upto you of course. My experience with Aliexpress is different than yours. I recently bought few Ridea parts from Aliexpress which were about 30% cheaper than same items off eBay. If I’ll add shipping they were about 40% cheaper. And yes, they were original Ridea items. Items arrived just fine. I had issues with two orders from Aliexpress. One when I ordered titanium seatpost for Brompton. It was supposed to be 60cm but it arrived as 58cm. Seller immediately agreed to send free replacement and asked to keep the 58cm one. I had to pay $1.5 though so they can ship it through Aliexpress system.

Second was recent purchase of Trigo front carrier block adaptor for Birdy. The thing had no torque values printed on it and no user manual, so I probably over tightened them destroying the thread. However seller agreed to send free replacement, though I had to pay $3 for shipping.

I screen sellers, check the number of feedbacks they have, ask many questions about products before I buy, see how quick and detailed they reply.

I agree that live support on Aliexpress is trash, but nothing really compares with customer support of Amazon. I also buy few things off eBay, my MKS pedals were my latest order as they are not sold on Aliexpress. But I choose to pay less for same products and almost nothing for delivery of same products from Aliexpress rather than +30% from eBay.

Last edited by CEBEP; 08-28-22 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-29-22, 04:53 AM
splithub

Bikes: FSIR Spin 2.0/Spin 5.1 Noahhk iF10

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
FWIW & FYI, the saddle clamp mechanism on the Litepro A61 seatpost is identical in construction to that on the stock seatposts on my two FSIR bikes. Now, I weigh 70kg. If you are a porker 🐖, the A61 is not for you since its weight limit is 80kg.
...i am around 90kg and ride my FSIR 2.0 with the same 80kg weight limit since 2015, often rough on bad road. My other cheap seatposts hold up also. Once i delaminated a carbon post, that happened slowly at the clamping spot. It had a weight limit of 85
Likes For splithub:
Old 08-30-22, 03:07 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by willydstyle
I wasn't questioning whether or not I could buy a seatpost. I was questioning whether a decent seatpost was available in the US for $10.
I rode these litepro seatposts for years (since 2008), they have been fine for me BUT, back then, I was advised on the old Dahon Forum (now defunct) that 80/90kg is about the limit which is fine for me as I do not exceed 80kg even with 2 laptops in my backpack...
That said, I would not test their carbon seatpost.

Note: the 80kg limit is @ minimum insertion, so @ max lever arm length, it should take up to 80kg. If short like me, the weight limit increase a little bit.

Last edited by Fentuz; 08-30-22 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-02-22, 06:10 AM
KoalaHudz

Bikes: Raleigh Stowaway

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Tern Link D8 doesn't have any seatpost markings other than minimum and maximum insert depth. I'm very sensitive to my bike fit being even slightly off, so I'd love to have a way to be able to set the seatpost exactly the same height every time. My first thought was a silver sharpie, but there's a thin coating of grease on the post that I would guess would dissolve sharpy, and I also think it would get worn away quickly when I lower the seatpost anyways. I know there's a gadget for brompton bikes that let's you set the seatpost height, is there anything similar for non-brompton bikes?

I put some white nail polish over the notches so I can see it easily when I pull up. Much cheaper and no faffing about.
Old 09-02-22, 10:16 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
For people in North America: LitePro
Old 09-02-22, 03:43 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
For people in North America: LitePro
I think it's worth noting that most of the seatposts offered on that website have zero setback, and none of them have sufficient capacity to support anyone who weighs more than 200 lbs.

I ended up getting the Tern Telescopic seatpost, both for its greater setback and adjustability than the stock seatpost, and also because it has a 230 lb rider weight limit. Cheap things are cheap.
Old 09-02-22, 08:18 PM
wesgreen

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Never bothered me or the fit on my folders. But then, I am hardly a porker at 70 kg and 24 BMI. What does bother me, though, is the blind spot, if not arrogance of people in the West who think that the high prices that they pay due to high import duty, taxes, transportation and labor costs, is the reference for what things should cost and the litmus test of inherent value. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Litepro seatposts. Especially at the price. Unless one is fat or borderline obese. In which case one has no one but oneself to blame, and a more serious health problem to deal with than the scourge of cheap Asiatic products. 😎
Keep editing.
Likes For wesgreen:
Old 09-03-22, 08:01 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
I think it's worth noting that most of the seatposts offered on that website have zero setback, and none of them have sufficient capacity to support anyone who weighs more than 200 lbs.

I ended up getting the Tern Telescopic seatpost, both for its greater setback and adjustability than the stock seatpost, and also because it has a 230 lb rider weight limit. Cheap things are cheap.
Those actual cheap things are usually rebranded and sold under different name brands. Glad you found a seatpost that makes you happy,...the link was actually for others who browse the thread and are interested in litepro parts. There's quite a few people here who are always askling.