You be the judge.
Old 11-13-21, 09:29 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
HA! I can't stand LEO with nothing to do but stop a bicyclist... for no reason! You should have started coughing a lot and gotten closer to him.
That road is not in good shape either...it's breaking apart. Get your tire caught in there...
Was that Persian or Arab music you had on... he looked Arab... maybe he wanted a friend.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 11-13-21, 10:20 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Was that Persian or Arab music you had on...
It’s Puerto Rican. YouTube recognized it and flagged the copyright but let me keep it.
Old 11-14-21, 09:47 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,859 Times in 6,072 Posts
LEOs who don't know the laws they're supposed to enforce? Who'd have thought it?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-14-21, 10:29 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
What bikers are.... we are slow moving vehicles..... and in California it is not against the law to cross a double yellow to pass a slow moving vehicle. If you had been riding on the fog line, the cars would have stayed in the lane and buzzed your head as they drove by. Apparently the ranger didn't see the Sharrow painted right in the middle of the road.
Old 11-14-21, 11:37 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

But I don't even know what he was talking about. It seemed like he was claiming that I was being unsafe by making the cars pass extra wide... which is the safe and legal thing do... but I don't see that I was any farther over than I needed to be given road and wind conditions.
Old 11-14-21, 07:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,859 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
But I don't even know what he was talking about. It seemed like he was claiming that I was being unsafe by making the cars pass extra wide... which is the safe and legal thing do... but I don't see that I was any farther over than I needed to be given road and wind conditions.
You made them pass extra wide by being a cyclist which made them subject to the '3 foot' law, you naughty cyclist, you.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-14-21, 08:12 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
The Park Ranger had zero reason to cite you and therefore should have not confronted you. Simple.
Old 11-15-21, 10:46 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
May have been some complaining that caused that interaction. When that happens the guy on the street needs to interact as part of his job. I think you did well in his learning experience.
Old 11-15-21, 12:20 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Man, I was expecting a lot worse...
Old 11-15-21, 12:30 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
You did pretty much what I do routinely on Wildcat Canyon Road: when I see a car or a bike coming down and there is a car approaching from my rear, I put my left arm straight out, palm toward the car approaching from my rear, and move a bit more into the lane. I also, if a driver has been a good boy or girl and has slowed to my )ridiculously slow) climbing speed because they can't see around a corner, if I can see it's clear before they can, I will wave them through (I only do that if I am 100% certain it is safe for the car to pass) and then wave at them as they go by. I get a fair number of waves back. I believe in rewarding the behavior I want to see happen.

As for the Ranger, he seemed a bit ignorant about the applicable law. But at least he was willing to listen and didn't get all defensive and macho about it - it seems like he actually listened. Whether it sunk in or not is another question: I hope so. But at least he did not seem like a cop whose reaction is a reflexive "you stupid @$$ cyclist are wrong period and I don't care what the law says."

Scott, you handled it pretty well. You sounded a bit irritated to my ear, but certainly not out of line. You explained yourself patiently and well, you found common ground with him (safety) and you gave him plenty of conversational room to back off without losing face. Nicely done.
Old 11-15-21, 01:32 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
You did pretty much what I do routinely on Wildcat Canyon Road: when I see a car or a bike coming down and there is a car approaching from my rear, I put my left arm straight out, palm toward the car approaching from my rear, and move a bit more into the lane. I also, if a driver has been a good boy or girl and has slowed to my )ridiculously slow) climbing speed because they can't see around a corner, if I can see it's clear before they can, I will wave them through (I only do that if I am 100% certain it is safe for the car to pass) and then wave at them as they go by. I get a fair number of waves back. I believe in rewarding the behavior I want to see happen.

As for the Ranger, he seemed a bit ignorant about the applicable law. But at least he was willing to listen and didn't get all defensive and macho about it - it seems like he actually listened. Whether it sunk in or not is another question: I hope so. But at least he did not seem like a cop whose reaction is a reflexive "you stupid @$$ cyclist are wrong period and I don't care what the law says."

Scott, you handled it pretty well. You sounded a bit irritated to my ear, but certainly not out of line. You explained yourself patiently and well, you found common ground with him (safety) and you gave him plenty of conversational room to back off without losing face. Nicely done.
The first thing I thought he was going to tell me was not to wave cars to pass me... that signaling not to pass was OK, but signaling to "pass now" is not advised... he would've had a point there. This is kind of an advanced cycling technique - you have to be pretty confident and experienced to tell drivers not to pass, to take the lane when it's not safe to pass... the point I don't think I communicated well enough (lots of after-thinking) is that the "take the lane" rule is there for safety. When you do it right, the drivers behind understand that you're being courteous... that NOT taking the lane is sort of inviting them to pass unsafely. I think all of the other cars knew exactly what I was doing and why.

I joke that this guy hassled me, but I think he was really just kind of a newb and doesn't recognize what defensive cycling looks like and assumed that I was pressing my right of way in an unsafe manner (and we all know people who've done that)... and he just didn't see what he thought he saw. But he was probably also not expecting that a random bike rider knew the relevant CVC paragraphs better than he did.

I have had very few run-ins with the law, but I always make sure they know I'm not arguing - I'll state my disagreement and then leave it at that.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 11-15-21, 05:37 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Looking at the video, he had no reason to make the stop.
I hope his boss gets to see that video.

Barry
Old 11-15-21, 11:28 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
LEOs who don't know the laws they're supposed to enforce? Who'd have thought it?
He would be well "qualified" to be a Sheriff in Woodside.
Likes For UmneyDurak:
Old 11-17-21, 02:33 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I thought you both handled it pretty well; it sounds like the ranger was acting out of a windshield perspective and some ignorance. Hopefully he is a bit wiser now.
Old 11-22-21, 06:25 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
OP you must be in dire need of attention or validation of some sort. For you to make issue of such a minor contact with this Ranger is absurd. Even if he’s wrong so what? He stopped you for the briefest moment as he’s concerned about your safety and he was extremely courteous to you.
Get over yourself put your big boy bibs on and just enjoy riding your bike. If this is the biggest problem you have in life you are a blessed soul.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 11-22-21, 08:14 PM
returnoftheyeti

Bikes: Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 19 Posts
https://www.******.com/r/BAbike/comm..._on_mt_diablo/

You know those bike turnouts when climbing Mt Diablo? The ones with signs saying cyclists must use them? Well I guess a ranger must have saw me ignore one (I didn’t even remember what I did) and he pulled me over. Ended up letting me off with just a warning on account that this was my first time there. Anyways… save yourself the confrontation and use the turnouts
Old 11-23-21, 07:08 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
OP you must be in dire need of attention or validation of some sort. For you to make issue of such a minor contact with this Ranger is absurd. Even if he’s wrong so what? He stopped you for the briefest moment as he’s concerned about your safety and he was extremely courteous to you.
Get over yourself put your big boy bibs on and just enjoy riding your bike. If this is the biggest problem you have in life you are a blessed soul.
Was this post really necessary? No. Did it add anything of value? No. Did you make condescending personal attacks that were not called for? Yes.

To quote you, even if he's wrong, so what?