Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Any Foam Rollers Out There?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 07-11-22, 06:18 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts

Interesting information on how foam rolling can possibly be bad for the IT band and not nearly as beneficial in other areas of the body, as many proclaim. Foam rolling seems to be one of the newest fads in exercise, but as with most fads, eventually some study comes out and shoots it down.

Although this is by no means conclusive, but it is interesting and you do get to see real human anatomy on the slab in the video.

Personally, I'm kind of indifferent on the issue, because I'm not a foam roller, but not really against it; I just do other things to keep my musculoskeletal system health. However, I know there are a lot out there, so you may want to check out this video. The first 1:50 is a commercial.

Old 07-11-22, 06:49 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
I haven't tried foam rolling yet but it kinda looks painful especially after an exercise.

I have a cheap vibrator massager which seems to work without causing any pain but I no longer use it. Too lazy to use it or perhaps, the good 'ol recovery days is good enough for me.
Old 07-11-22, 04:22 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't believe in all this nonsense about foam rolling...What I do believe in is active recovery....Foam rolling doesn't work, active recovery works every time.
Old 07-14-22, 08:25 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
I, too, consider the roller fad to be largely that, from the viewpoint that it's routinely misapplied by many people who do it themselves.

For me, I know that most things that create a "bad blood out / good blood in" effect tends to ease aches, assist in recovery. So long as it's in moderation.

Such as off-day, recovery-day "training" routines. IOW, active recovery, but using greater range of motion, much-reduced intensity, sufficient cardio, sufficient enlistment of all muscles (particularly the "affected" ones from the prior tougher activities).

Such as a quality massage.

Such as a good soak in hot water, depending on the aches.

And, such as foam rolling. At least, so long as it aids "kneading" the muscles but isn't so hard or strenuously applied that it strains or damages things. (IMO, "rollers" tend to be far too hard, bordering on rolling pin hard. They should, at least from my own experience, be way to the opposite end of the spectrum, something nearer to a modest-to-moderate massage. If they are, I can "self-medicate" with the roller. If they aren't, if they're too hard and unyielding, I find they can strain the muscles in the area, even causing aches.

Can't say what others' experiences might be. But "mild" rolling with softer gear that mimics a decent focused/area massage is something that's helped me with recovery over the years. (Depending on which muscles and whether such "massage" can be done on them.)

JMO