Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Only one stackable pedal? (Speedplay SYZR)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-26-22, 06:58 PM
avhed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Any other ones?
Old 07-26-22, 08:50 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I'm not aware of any other pedal like that. Do they even make Syzrs anymore? They were terrible the one time I tried them. All the time they took designing, testing, modifying, redesigning, and this was what they came up with? I'm not sure what was worse, these or Frogs. For all the good pedals they've made they've some truly mind boggling f ups. I've had brand new Zeros and cleats that the girls on the team I worked for couldn't engage no matter what. I put one girl's shoes on and at 50lbs more body weight than her I couldn't engage either. At the retail level they're basically unsellable at times. No idea what the new pedals are like, we won't order them.
Old 07-26-22, 08:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Is this to raise the pedal to compensate for a shorter leg? I run pedals that I cannot (at least easily) do that to and compensate for my 1/2" shorted right leg by placing a 1/4" shim of plate aluminum between the shoe and the cleat. It's a pain making the shims (bending 1/4" plate to the shape of the shoe is hard!) but the end result is that I sit in alignment with the bike and look down the center of the front wheel and frame for the first time ever.

If this is for another reason, I want to hear it. 50 years of cycling and I"m still learning.
Old 07-26-22, 11:07 PM
avhed

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Is this to raise the pedal to compensate for a shorter leg?
Yes, I only need ~1/4". If I could get a few millimeters at the pedal and a few at the insole, I will be even.
I do not wear cleats.
Old 07-27-22, 02:07 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Another approach - get some shoe sole rubber (It comes in sheets of varying thicknesses inc. 1/4") and glue it on to the bottom of the sole with 3M 5200. (Goggle 3M 5200 or West Marine; they carry it.) It is unlike any other glue so read the instructions carefully. It is expensive; probably $30 or more for a standard grease gun tube. Once opened, the whole tube cures in days; barely slower than the portion you applied as glue. Give it 3 or more days to set up.

This is a permanent fix. Boat builders use it to glue fiberglass decks to fiberglass hulls. Yes, they also go around and fasten with bolts every 6-8" but you can remove the bolts and pick the boat up by the deck. If there is failure, it will be the fiberglass, not the glue. I did this with two of my shoes that are MTB shoes but with the plate shim under the cleat, I was walking on just the cleat with that foot. Now the cleat just touches as I walk, but so does the other shoe. Footing is excellent.

I don't know where to send you to get sole rubber. Here in Portland I can get it from Oregon Leather. They might have an on-line presence. A cobble will certainly know but may well be unwilling to give up trade secrets. (He will however be willing to do the work. My first several pairs of cycling shoes were done by a local cobbler and his work was excellent.)
Old 07-27-22, 08:09 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,741 Posts
I don't know where to send you to get sole rubber.
I get rubber sheet from Grainger. 1/8" and 1/4" thicknesses. 60A or 75A durometer. Essentially the same rubber used for shoe soles (and many tires).

I use it to replace the toe and heel protection on my road shoes. Much better than the hard and slippery plastic some shoes come with.

Old 07-31-22, 06:35 PM
avhed

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Another approach - get some shoe sole rubber (It comes in sheets of varying thicknesses inc. 1/4") and glue it on to the bottom of the sole with 3M 5200. (Goggle 3M 5200 or West Marine; they carry it.) It is unlike any other glue so read the instructions carefully. It is expensive; probably $30 or more for a standard grease gun tube. Once opened, the whole tube cures in days; barely slower than the portion you applied as glue. Give it 3 or more days to set up.

This is a permanent fix. Boat builders use it to glue fiberglass decks to fiberglass hulls. Yes, they also go around and fasten with bolts every 6-8" but you can remove the bolts and pick the boat up by the deck. If there is failure, it will be the fiberglass, not the glue. I did this with two of my shoes that are MTB shoes but with the plate shim under the cleat, I was walking on just the cleat with that foot. Now the cleat just touches as I walk, but so does the other shoe. Footing is excellent.

I don't know where to send you to get sole rubber. Here in Portland I can get it from Oregon Leather. They might have an on-line presence. A cobble will certainly know but may well be unwilling to give up trade secrets. (He will however be willing to do the work. My first several pairs of cycling shoes were done by a local cobbler and his work was excellent.)
Thanks, your post is very helpful, as I am considering buying a Ride Concepts Hellion Elite and adhering a gum type sole to it if I can find it.
Old 07-31-22, 09:24 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
you might be able to fab up in-between spacers for the shoe to clipless section. It would also require longer hardware.
Old 07-31-22, 10:07 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Troul
you might be able to fab up in-between spacers for the shoe to clipless section. It would also require longer hardware.
He's not running clipless but for those of us who do, yes. I bring my cleat bolts to Ace Hardware and pick a bolt I like closest to 1/4" longer for the aluminum plate I shim with. (6mm)
Old 08-06-22, 05:04 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
For the material, if I needed it, I'd go to a local supplier of cable and hoses (hydraulic, pneumatic, etc) because they sell all types of sheet materials from slick plastic to foam rubber of various densities to hard rubber of various hardnesses. They've always been willing to sell me ends and pieces by the square foot. I like it because I tell them vaguely what I'm looking for and they take me back and let me look and touch the stuff until I find what will work.