Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Tickr HR accuracy problems

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 10-18-20, 04:47 PM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

I generally have been happy with Wahoo products, but I've had bad luck with their HR monitors. My first Wahoo Tickr died after about six months. Wahoo sent me a new one -- good service. Now, after about another 5 months, it is giving wildly inaccurate readings (showing 180-190 on a relatively easy base ride yesterday, then 104-120 on a much harder ride today). I've been training for a long time so have a good idea of where my HR should be in given efforts, so I'm certain that these are way off. Additionally, the HR seems to "stick" for long periods (e.g. - exactly 136 for 10-minutes despite varying efforts).

Has anyone else experienced this issue with Wahoo Tickr? Any known fixes? I did recently replace the battery.
Old 10-18-20, 05:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
The problem with HRM straps is almost always within the strap itself. The electrodes on your chest are connected to the transmitter unit by thin wires which are easily corroded or fail at their attachment points. Some straps are much better than others. I like straps and transmitters which snap to the straps and thus are not integral with the strap. Transmitters like that last almost forever, with battery changes of course. Straps may only last a year with frequent use. The best straps I've used are Garmin HRM-Dual and Polar Pro. They both accept industry-standard snap-on transmitters of whatever brand.
Old 10-18-20, 05:53 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Wet the electrodes. https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/...s/115000359464
Old 10-18-20, 07:53 PM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
probably this.

As it gets cooler and drier hrm's get touchy until there is enough moisture between the strap and your chest to get an accurate reading. They often steal or read erratically if they are to dry.
Old 10-18-20, 08:58 PM
goose70

Originally Posted by Mista Sparkle
probably this.

As it gets cooler and drier hrm's get touchy until there is enough moisture between the strap and your chest to get an accurate reading. They often steal or read erratically if they are to dry.
Thanks. I forgot about that. The cool air snuck up on me. I'll give it a try and see if that works.
Old 10-19-20, 04:18 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've had a Wahoo TICKR chest HRM for 4 years now, no problems. Last year, my daughter gave me the TICKR Fit arm band optical one, no problems with that one, either.

I'm a copious sweat producer - with previous HRMs I had to replace the straps every couple of years, the Wahoo one has lasted longer. That also means I don't have to worry about chest contact on the strap but a friend of mine who barely seems to sweat has to use that HRM sensor cream kind of stuff to have any HRM be reliable.
Old 10-19-20, 08:56 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
My Wahoo TICKR is much more reliable than my old Garmin.

As others have said, your problem is almost certainly a good connection between the strap and your chest in cool weather.
Old 10-20-20, 10:48 AM
goose70

Originally Posted by MinnMan
My Wahoo TICKR is much more reliable than my old Garmin.

As others have said, your problem is almost certainly a good connection between the strap and your chest in cool weather.
Unfortunately, it's not that. I tried again today after putting contact gel on it and since it was indoor workout, I also sweated a lot. Two thirds of the way in, it started reading 180-197 even during easy rest periods and stayed at exactly 197 for the cool down.
Likes For goose70:
Old 10-20-20, 11:18 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by goose70
Unfortunately, it's not that. I tried again today after putting contact gel on it and since it was indoor workout, I also sweated a lot. Two thirds of the way in, it started reading 180-197 even during easy rest periods and stayed at exactly 197 for the cool down.
Many folks haven't been using a HRM for every workout for 25 years. I knew you were doing it right. Try a new strap and xmtr. It is still possible that it's the transmitter, not the strap, but you'll toss that too since it's unfortunately integral with the strap. All the better transmitters now are snap-on because of the well-known strap issue.
Old 10-20-20, 05:56 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Many folks haven't been using a HRM for every workout for 25 years. I knew you were doing it right. Try a new strap and xmtr. It is still possible that it's the transmitter, not the strap, but you'll toss that too since it's unfortunately integral with the strap. All the better transmitters now are snap-on because of the well-known strap issue.
More likely to be the strap than the transmitter. You can get a good replacement strap for $20.
Old 10-21-20, 07:33 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Sometimes early in a workout before sweat. I don't lick or wet it, so that's probably it for mine. Usually it sticks in the 130's for a minute as I'm warming up and getting into Z2 before working.

I've had corrosion issues on the button snaps on my Wahoo. Very disappointed about that. I went with it for the bluetooth since my old Garmin is Ant+. I will likely swap back to the Garmin for on-bike at least as it was more reliable I felt.
Old 10-21-20, 08:21 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Sometimes early in a workout before sweat. I don't lick or wet it, so that's probably it for mine. Usually it sticks in the 130's for a minute as I'm warming up and getting into Z2 before working.
Yes that is definitely it.

I've had corrosion issues on the button snaps on my Wahoo. Very disappointed about that.
Good practice to rinse the strap and head unit with fresh water after each use to prevent exactly this.
Old 10-21-20, 08:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
How old is your strap? My first Garmin strap starting doing like you describe when it was five y.o. I just replaced it and the new strap is better made than the first version and still going strong into it's sixth year.

I'm not saying Garmin because I think it's better. It's just the only HR strap I have any experience with. I wouldn't expect any brand of strap to last forever. Sure, there'll be a few that tell us they are using the same strap they bought 100 years ago, but I'd be certain they are just outlier data compared to the normal experience.

Training & NutritionLearn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.
Old 10-21-20, 01:56 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by jadocs
Good practice to rinse the strap and head unit with fresh water after each use to prevent exactly this.
Probably true for the strap, I'm not sure it matters for the transmitter.

But for me, that isn't going to happen, replacing the strap say, every two years, for $20 is less trouble. I do rinse the strap now and again just to keep it from getting too grody.
Old 10-21-20, 01:59 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Probably true for the strap, I'm not sure it matters for the transmitter.

But for me, that isn't going to happen, replacing the strap say, every two years, for $20 is less trouble. I do rinse the strap now and again just to keep it from getting too grody.
I started making a point to rinse mine after I corroded through the snaps on my strap in less than a year. Wahoo was really good about it and sent me a new one. I figured since the snap on the strap corroded that it stood to reason that the male end on the transmitter could as well.
Old 10-21-20, 08:11 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
I have a hunch about the stuck HR...one of the things i have noticed about my wahoo ticker is that when i descend there is so much air flow that i am pretty sure all the sweat on my chest is completely evaporated. pretty sure this is causing the strap electrodes to competely dry out. it lasts until i begin to slow down again and need to put in more effort to keep going, that is, i begin to sweat faster than it can be evaporated away. this is just my theory anyway based on the graphs i see when i get back from riding.

maybe the same for you when the reading seems to stick.
Old 01-18-22, 02:04 PM
83cannondale

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goose70
Old thread I know..I have a tickrx doing the same thing. I always use contact gel. I've had the issue indoors and out. I have a bontrager transmitter which works fine on the wahoo strap. The wahoo fails on the bontrager strap...reads very high..I had a tickr which I tossed away because it was failing..drop outs I think..Imo, the tickr straps just don't cut it... I'll try their customer service and maybe I can get a replacement..
Old 03-30-22, 09:22 AM
83cannondale

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 83cannondale
Old thread I know..I have a tickrx doing the same thing. I always use contact gel. I've had the issue indoors and out. I have a bontrager transmitter which works fine on the wahoo strap. The wahoo fails on the bontrager strap...reads very high..I had a tickr which I tossed away because it was failing..drop outs I think..Imo, the tickr straps just don't cut it... I'll try their customer service and maybe I can get a replacement..
Update - Wahoo did replace it at no charge - I discarded the old one. I did try the old one again but it did still fail so trashed it.