Swoooooooooosh

Old 03-10-22, 01:21 PM
slimyfrog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swoooooooooosh

Can't wait to get my gravel bike and spend more time away from roads.

On Dublin blvd climb

Last edited by slimyfrog; 03-10-22 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-14-22, 03:14 AM
shrimp123

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
i know what you mean... that section of 1/4 mile is a pain. the first part and the second part a treat though..... and the gravel at the top is peach!

Dublin has morons for city planners. Dublin blvd with bike lane missing in parts, bike lane crossing HoV entry to freeway on SRVB, bus lane criss-crossing bike lane on Dublin blvd(city side), bike lane that is wider than car lane around Alcosta.....
Old 03-14-22, 08:17 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
there is no good way (safe) to get over 580 anywhere in Dublin or Pleasanton or Livermore for that matter.
Old 04-05-22, 03:03 PM
blt

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
there is no good way (safe) to get over 580 anywhere in Dublin or Pleasanton or Livermore for that matter.
The most reasonable crossings of 580 are going under it, but those are few and far between.

There is the east Dublin-Pleasanton BART station and Greenville Rd. That's about it unless you're going to the outskirts. I guess Schaefer Ranch is technically Dublin, and Schaefer Ranch Rd. goes under and is a safe transverse of 580. If you want to say North Flynn is Livermore, that is a pretty safe crossing over 580, but it really isn't Livermore. Beyond that to the west you're going to Castro Valley or to the east to Midway Rd., which is really nowhere but has a Tracy mailing address.

The crossing over 580 that is really in Dublin, Pleasanton, or Livermore that feels safest to me is Isabel north to south, which I'll do weekend afternoons, not that it is completely comfortable. I have crossed on Santa Rita very early on weekend mornings, and Isabel south to north later on weekends, those seem "safer" than a lot of other crossings, but it isn't fun, and I definitely wouldn't touch Santa Rita except very early weekend mornings.
Old 04-05-22, 06:34 PM
slimyfrog

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the only other route I know is Alamo Canal Trail -> Centennial Trail that goes under the 580 in Dublin. You can leave the trail at Val Vista Park, after the water treatment plant. If you stay on the trail, there are a few branches (on gravel) that turn east and will pop you out in Pleasanton, or connect you to more gravel trails that take you into Livermore.
Old 04-06-22, 01:05 PM
blt

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Right, I used to take that a lot, because from the Iron Horse in Dublin south, the Alamo Canal Trail/Centennial Trail was paved all the way to Arroyo Mocho, so you could connect to West Las Positas, or cross the bridge and the Arroyo Mocho Trail was paved up to Hopyard so you could get all the way from Dublin to Hopyard just south of West Las Positas on paved trail.

Then the floods of 2017 hit and ruined a lot of pavement. Now stretches of the trail between the water treatment plant and Arroyo Mocho are dirt/gravel, and the Arroyo Mocho trail between the Centennial Trail and Hopyard is dirt/gravel once again (it was only paved for a few years before the flood). Post-floods, it is mostly easier for me to go under BART unless I'm not on my road bike, although getting on at Val Vista works. I've even used Johnson Drive to get on the trail and go under 580, but that has its own dangers and will be even crazier when Costco comes in.
Old 04-11-22, 01:46 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
What's wrong with San Ramon Rd/Foothill overpass? I don't find anything particularly dangerous about that OC, nothing worse than being on the road most other places.
Old 04-12-22, 06:12 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
What's wrong with San Ramon Rd/Foothill overpass? I don't find anything particularly dangerous about that OC, nothing worse than being on the road most other places.
North bound it's acceptable.
Southbound is dangerous right before going over 580.
Old 04-18-22, 12:05 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
funny, I'd say the opposite. I agree about the part going SB where you have to merge over from the shoulder across the WB 580 ramp, but you can just wait it out, and after that it's not bad. The other tricky spot is on the down side, cars which are coming off from EB are going really really fast, and usually merging over a lane or 3. So that can be a bit sketchy, but again, we as cyclists have to make all kinds of merges across traffic lanes all the time, and most of this is not much different (other than speed!) However, going NB, I don't like crossing over the lane prior to the EB 580 onramp, or the potential right hook at the WB 580 clover leaf. Then of course there's traffic turning right onto SR Rd from 580 WB, and lastly, crossing over 2 right turn lanes once you get to Dublin Blvd.
Old 04-18-22, 01:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
a Prius, not surprising. I think some Prius drivers don't like cyclists, because we use even less gas than they do