Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

l'eroica modern wheelset/tubeless tires?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

l'eroica modern wheelset/tubeless tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-22, 06:52 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
The Eroica CA comparisons are not valid. They are different events with different standards.

The first L”Eroica I did, I rented a bike from the organizers. It was not period correct pre 87 but close. A 89 BMZ with shimano 600 and biopace rings. So there is some slack given on the setup. But the bike is looked over quickly as you roll out of Gaiole pre dawn. I’ve done 4 now, on a period correct bike.

I think of interest is that Vittoria is a sponsor again this year. They will be showing their tubeless tires - technically a clincher as the rules require. I’m sure the tires would be fine, but the black spokes and hubs may be an issue.

For years Bianchi was a sponsor - and their Eroica bike was a 2X10 campy set up - a tribute bike.

During the ride though, I’ve seen the following - a rider being followed by a friend on an bake and them swapping back and forth. The registered rider would ride the period bike into the feed stations and passport checks, more than a few riding various new equipment like clipless SPD’s with cages, and true Eroici riding single and dual speed bikes from the 20’s and 30’s on the full 209K ride.

Ride your ride and enjoy it, it is truly a unique event.
Old 08-06-22, 07:01 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by chune
Crap, you’re right on the clinchers.

Yes we just happen to be taking a vacation in Italy (Genoa & Naples) while this event is going on and I just happen to have a garage full of L’Eroica-ish bikes I have been fixing up. Seems like too much of a coincidence so I think I have to do it. I have been doing regular hilly 25-30 mile rides with 42/34 climbing gear and grinding up some (short) 18% grades. The only question is do I shoot for the 50 mile ride or the 30 mile ride?
chune - Do the longer 50 mile ride. The 30 route is actually quite easy, the vertical feet is mostly paved up to Broilio, the longer routes have more varied terrain. And you will get a few more feed stops. I’m riding it this year and will do the 209K on Saturday, and I may poach the 30 on Sunday to get the stiffness out.

Have fun!
Old 08-07-22, 07:56 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Black Alpina spokes were available in early 80s. Not sure when first offered, I built with them in '82.
Old 08-07-22, 09:23 AM
63rickert

What would not have occurred in '87 or earlier would be a ride populated mainly by guys in their 50s and 60s. There were older guys who rode but past 40 was quite unusual. Go back to 70s and the older contingent was all ex-racers.
Old 08-07-22, 10:44 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
People may not realize that L'Eroica has evolved as an event over the years. While today it is considered to be mainly a "vintage" themed bicycling event, it began as primarily something different!

"Starting out in 1997, L’Eroica was born as a non-competitive, vintage leisure ride. It was initially created as a protest ride to ensure that the last Roman white roads of Tuscany were preserved and maintained, as well as being a bonus ride for people who had ridden in the Bartali Gran Fondo two weeks earlier."

Back then a "vintage" bicycle was one that was 10 years old! They wanted none of that newfangled 90's technology on this protest ride. I believe it was a statement of opposition to "progress", which included both the elements of not paving these classic "strada bianca" and opposition to such heavy reliance on technological improvements in sports. Heroes did not need pavement or aerobars!

These days the event has become what most people think it is, a vintage themed bicycle ride. The events ethos statement still retains the "beauty of fatigue" credo but nowadays it is run by large sports groups who simply use the event to market their goods and services to sports enthusiasts. The early passion behind L'Eroica has been diminished as a result.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the event, but stressing over the current meaning of the rules is kind of missing the point. Eroica will continue to evolve and the rules will likely continue to change both with time and location. In the end however I believe that a tubeless tire is still just a clincher.
Old 08-07-22, 11:12 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead

Heroes did not need pavement or aerobars!
Or batteries. When electronic shifting was looking like it would go mainstream I checked out on the idea I might one day obtain a modern bike. Bikes are simple, but modern technology is trying hard to make them overly complicated.

Are self-riding bikes next?

DD
Old 08-07-22, 11:23 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Are self-riding bikes next?
Bikes with self-balancing gyros do exist. And they are wonderful for people who are unable to do it themselves. My father lost the ability to ride a bike at around 80.

But again, why would anyone want to ride it at Eroica?
Old 08-15-22, 11:35 AM
chune

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 13 Posts
laced up my first set of wheels (pacenti brevet) to the dura ace 7400 hubs. Went pretty smoothly for a first timer but I'm leaving the truing to the professionals. Hope to be riding on them tomorrow!
Likes For chune:
Old 10-07-22, 10:48 AM
chune

Got so busy before the trip I forgot to post pics. Here is what I ended up with: 11-34 Uniglide cassette on a dura ace hub laced to pacenti brevets wrapped in 700x33c challenge strada biancas:

Strada Biancas, meet Strada Bianca

Posting the rest of my L'Eroica pics here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post22671543
Old 10-08-22, 01:23 PM
63rickert

When I started riding tubulars and Campy in 1967 Campionato del Mondos were one of the most popular tires. 29mm wide from contemporaneous notes. Paris-Roubaix at 26mm were popular too. Roads that suddenly went from pavement to gravel were common. Sure do remember when 19mm tires came around. The group would meet gravel and continue without a thought, the guys on skinnies turned around.

Regina had a 31 tooth freewheel cog since forever. In the big wooden cog box. Atom had a 36, only ever saw one, on a tandem of course. Sometime in mid 70s the Japanese had 34tooth cogs and they were everywhere. T.A. had little chainrings since they began. Stronglight 49d would take same chainrings and had been available since early 1930s. Copies are still made. Three arm cranks that took a small of 36 were completely normal.

Instead of trying to do a gravel and broken pavement ride on a bike made for skinnies and limited gears why not just get a 60s or 70s bike that does what you want? The Italvega in photos above looks good to me. Is it a Torpado? That style of bikes that looked racy enough (maybe were racy enough) but could swallow a 35 tire were available a long time. Continued to be made after the herd was on 700x19 and low of 42x17 because they were good bikes and not everyone followed the fashion.

Clinchers were only beginning to be tolerable by 1987. Any eroic period rider was on tubulars. CX tubulars were still fairly narrow. Occasionally it was possible to get Grifo 61s. 28mm? Big wide tubulars you bought from traveling Soviet riders. Imagine that, Russians who just got visas, rented vans and went to races and were greeted happily everywhere. Some parts of the past we won't get back.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 10-08-22, 02:33 PM
chune

Yeah it’s a 77 Sekai 4000. I had 36c tires on originally but was worried about lugging them up the 5200ft of elevation and mud clearance. Worked pretty good for me but I would have been better off with a 46/32 crank
Old 10-11-22, 10:46 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 311 Posts
The vast majority of the participants that do the California Eroica have no idea this forum exists. I have done 4, and for the most part, everyone seems to follow the rules.

"Easier" gearing, to include triples etc. is not as widespread as this forum would suggest. Straight blocks and the like are commonplace. Older cyclists nowadays that participate in these events are typically very fit, and a lot more people than you would predict manage the course with "correct" bicycles. My oldest brother that is pushing 60 made it up Kiler Canyon no problem with 42-24 gearing.

Ride, ride and ride. It's the body not the bike.
Likes For Erzulis Boat: