Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Cambium for commuting feeedback/concerns

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-22, 02:40 AM
MoreCarbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Considering a Cambium, but have heard that the rougher fabric may cause abrasion of pants leading to holes.

Anyone have any feedback on this or on the saddle in general?
Old 07-17-22, 06:26 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I have an all-weather Cambium C-17. Yes, there is some texture to the surface, but I don't think that would lead to accelerated wear on pants. Although the saddle was somewhat comfortable at first, I never got to the point that I was enamored with it. I replaced it after a few hundred miles with a leather B-17.
Old 07-17-22, 07:03 AM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, All-City Super Professional

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Most complaints about the rough fabric are with the original Cambium. They're not made with that fabric any more, instead it's nylon. I haven't found it to cause excess wear.
Old 07-17-22, 08:33 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
I did not find it comfortable. I gave it a few months and replaced it with a B17. Part of the problem might have been the positioning of my Trek Domane. I love my B17 on my 520 touring bike. I like it on the Domane. Knowing what I know now, I would have purchased the B17.
Old 07-17-22, 09:28 AM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I have the original cloth covered Cambium saddles on 3 of my bikes. These get a lot of miles, and I usually ride them with only my normal riding shorts. I have never noticed any excessive wear or holes in fabric from the saddles. There is however, a bit of minor piling of the fabric of my shorts in the areas that rub against the edges of the saddle. Same type of piling happens on my winter riding pants and thermals. After many years, all of these shorts and pants are still in service.
Also, in the little bit of riding I do in jeans, I have not noticed any wear at all in the pants.
Old 07-17-22, 10:49 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
I commuted about 7500 miles last year on a carved C17 (all weather) and my pants are none the worse for wear. All riding done with cycling wear, so YMMV.
Old 07-17-22, 11:46 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I’ll echo same no excessive wear from both the all weather and standard C17 saddles.
Old 07-17-22, 05:08 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
No problem with mine. It might be the original type. It's a good commuting saddle for me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-19-22, 04:12 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
I had no problem with excessive pants wear, but as a heavier rider (220+) I did see signs that the rubber was failing around the nose rivet about 2 years into riding on a C17.
Old 07-19-22, 05:47 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by MoreCarbs
Considering a Cambium, but have heard that the rougher fabric may cause abrasion of pants leading to holes.

Anyone have any feedback on this or on the saddle in general?
I hated it wholeheartedly, but then I hated leather Brooks too. I may be too light for such saddles.
Old 07-19-22, 11:25 PM
MoreCarbs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by But its me
I’ll echo same no excessive wear from both the all weather and standard C17 saddles.
learned something new, didn’t know there were variants of the cambium and thought they were all weather resistant.
Old 07-19-22, 11:30 PM
MoreCarbs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2_i
I hated it wholeheartedly, but then I hated leather Brooks too. I may be too light for such saddles.
Agree, my leather b17 had a very long break in process with annual proofide treatments only.
Old 07-20-22, 05:21 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Agree, my leather b17 had a very long break in process with annual proofide treatments only.
I rode B67 on a daily basis for half a year waiting for the miracle of breaking in. I applied Proofide repeatedly. I stayed just as uncomfortable after months as at the beginning. Finally, it underwent water damage after rains came in, even though was hidden under cover. My wife suffered on her own Brooks saddle in parallel. She is also light. There was a celebration when these saddles were coming off
Old 07-27-22, 12:53 PM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, All-City Super Professional

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
learned something new, didn’t know there were variants of the cambium and thought they were all weather resistant.
They are all weather resistant — meaning no leather to get f’ed by rain like a classic Brooks.

First the Cambium came with a rough cloth top which got and stayed wet in the rain, then came the Cambium All Weather with the nylon top wipes dry. Eventually that became the only model available.