Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How Modern Race Bikes are Built Up

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-22, 11:54 AM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts

I will almost certainly never own or even work on anything with electronic shifting, hydraulic disk brakes, through axles, carbon fiber frames, carbon fiber rims or tubeless tires, but I found this video interesting anyway and it's a quick and enjoyable way to see the mechanical details of how modern race bikes are put together.

Likes For Headpost:
Old 08-02-22, 11:59 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Classic & Vintage.
Old 08-02-22, 12:17 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Classic & Vintage.
I know, but I posted it because I thought it was a quick and enjoyable way to see the mechanical details of modern race equipment without having to wade through a bunch of specifics that someone who mostly rides and cares about older bicycles wouldn't want to waste their time on.

I had no idea that white goop got injected into tubeless tires. Or that the connectors on electronic shifters look like they'd fail if you went over a hard bump.

Last edited by Headpost; 08-02-22 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-02-22, 01:47 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 728 Posts
Fascinating for tech-nerds.
I really like the 'no voice over' production.

BTW, the electrical connections are pretty tough, it was hard enough to disassemble I worried I was going break something and double-checked the manual.
Old 08-02-22, 02:58 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
And then they dip the whole thing in chrome - right?
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 08-02-22, 03:45 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I enjoyed the video
Old 08-02-22, 04:10 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Continuing the "off-topic" thread:

A build of a 5kg (11.0 pounds) bike! With extremely lightweight components.

But this bike is much less exotic looking than the TdF build above, although with carbon substituted from aluminum for almost everything.
Threaded bottom bracket, good. Exotic seatpost clamp! Carbon chainrings! Featherweight brake discs! Tubular wheels with carbon spokes, I think.
Includes the ridiculous Ceramic Speed expensive oversized pulleys and processed chain.

Hmmm, both videos are "all Park Tool", nice promo. Look at that tool collection above the workbench. (From the credits: We're working with Park Tool, they're some of the best tools in the business and it would be a shame to be building these incredible bikes without some equally awesome tools! )
I wondered what that hex T-handle tool was. Oh interesting: Park Tool THH-1 sliding T-handle set. Wow!

The video. Piano background, and tool sounds only, good. Nice camera work, with shallow depth of field.

Start with a seatpost clamped to a work stand, then build from there. There's a running total of grams in the corner.
At 4:50 -- so far: seatpost with Di2 battery, frame, fork with headset bearings, stem and bars: 1325 grams.

I like the editing. Just confident cutting and assembly on some extremely expensive components. Lots of build steps don't get included in a video like this, of course, like shift and brake adjustments and hydraulic brake fluid.

from the video

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-02-22 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-06-22, 09:12 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
I didn’t watch the video….

The “OEM” bikes are shipped, only to have every bolt and nut reviewed, upgraded if possible, treated if necessary. The RD is overhauled and all moving parts upgraded or treated. Same with the FD, BB, calipers, shifters. E-connections are robust, but cleaned and contacts are enhanced to avoid failure. Chains are cleaned, cleaned again, and waxed in most cases. Bars are pasted with cf friction paste and torqued, same with any seat mast or post (not many, anymore.). The spec list is double-checked, fit sheet same. Pedals are spun and lubed, BB’s are spun up, especially if new. Wheels are trued before being set up tubeless. Same goes for the spares. Fit charts for each member are reviewed for the most likely bike swaps.

The implementation of biometrics added a full crew member just for the gizmos. Basically, an IT guy for not only the rolling non-drivetrain electronics, but the laptops, comms, etc. The director car is a rolling command center of sorts.

The warm-up rides are the test, while the in- stage tool kits and wheel sets are checked again.

There are checklists for everything, memorized by those who need to run through them without delay.

It’s an operation, meant to enact a performance affected only by human variables.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 08-06-22, 11:17 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 197 Posts
Neat video, thanks for posting it. My three comments are that their brake pad bed in roller machine is freaking sweet, it's interesting that frame has a dedicated Di2 battery holder instead of stashing that inside the seatpost, and I was surprised to see him bleeding the brakes with a spacer and pads installed and not a yellow bleed block. Is that how it's supposed to be done and I just missed the memo? Now I have to go look that up...
Old 08-07-22, 04:58 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
I'll take "things I know nothing about" for $100, Alex.
Old 08-07-22, 03:11 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2927 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,490 Posts
Too many proprietary parts.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll: