Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Burley Travoy, took it into the store

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 05-03-20, 08:15 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

I took my Burley Travoy into the grocery store today. Until today, I would leave it outside and I can't believe it took me this long to use it. It is solo much better to take it inside. Anyone else have trailers they take into stores?
Likes For wsgts:
Old 05-04-20, 01:51 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I do to this all the time. The Travoy makes a great shopping cart. I actually use an IKEA trash can in mine. I find the dedicated shopping bags from Burley way to expensive.
Likes For Harhir:
Old 07-09-20, 12:48 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I've got the two burley market bags - just had them on my gift lists for b-days and holidays so price wasn't an issue. I love them. I have always taken by burley into the market. Now, during the Covid situation, it is super nice to not have to handle grocery store carts, too. Plus, if I don't take the cart with me, there's always a chance I might buy more than I can carry on the bike; I need the cart to "measure" my purchases.
Old 09-07-20, 02:15 PM
lwylie

Bikes: 2007 Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Harhir
I actually use an IKEA trash can in mine. I find the dedicated shopping bags from Burley way to expensive.
Ooh, good idea! I just ordered a Travoy from REI using the 20% off Labor Day coupon and my dividend, as a gift to myself. Looking forward to being able to carry 40lb bags of dog food, cases of water or wine, and donations to Goodwill, etc. Made a deal with myself that I will do this in future instead of using the car, to justify purchasing the Travoy :-) Yesterday I spoke with a woman locking up her Brompton and Travoy outside a cafe. She loves both. Said she recently took her vacuum cleaner to the repair shop using the Travoy on her bike!
Likes For lwylie:
Old 01-03-21, 10:23 PM
lwylie

Bikes: 2007 Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by linberl
I have always taken by burley into the market. Now, during the Covid situation, it is super nice to not have to handle grocery store carts, too. .
The stores where you shop are more relaxed. My local Trader Joe's and New Seasons (Portland alternative to Whole Foods) ask me to leave the Travoy at the front of the store where they keep an eye on it, and to shop using a regular cart. Probably nobody would blink an eye at the bigger Kroger chain stores (e.g. Safeway, Fred Meyer). Maybe it's the size of the store that makes the difference.

FWIW, ironically since getting the Travoy a couple months ago I've used it more off the bike than on. My local TJs is three blocks away so I walk there and take the Travoy for larger shopping trips. It's not worth getting out the bike and having to lock it up. The padded handle is really comfortable to hold and pull. I also used the Travoy as a handtruck to haul two packs of Roxul insulation up two sets of stairs to my 2nd floor. The packs were big and bulky but not heavy. Piece of cake to haul with the Travoy!
Old 01-03-21, 11:13 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by lwylie
The stores where you shop are more relaxed. My local Trader Joe's and New Seasons (Portland alternative to Whole Foods) ask me to leave the Travoy at the front of the store where they keep an eye on it, and to shop using a regular cart. Probably nobody would blink an eye at the bigger Kroger chain stores (e.g. Safeway, Fred Meyer). Maybe it's the size of the store that makes the difference.

FWIW, ironically since getting the Travoy a couple months ago I've used it more off the bike than on. My local TJs is three blocks away so I walk there and take the Travoy for larger shopping trips. It's not worth getting out the bike and having to lock it up. The padded handle is really comfortable to hold and pull. I also used the Travoy as a handtruck to haul two packs of Roxul insulation up two sets of stairs to my 2nd floor. The packs were big and bulky but not heavy. Piece of cake to haul with the Travoy!
Well, things are kind of weird with Covid now and groceries. One day I went to TJ and they wanted me to leave my travoy outside. I said "sure, as long as you take financial responsiblity for it and it cost $300 plus another $150 for my bags". Needless to say, they let me take it inside but did ask me not to load it until after I purchased and was outside at the bagging tables. What I do now is fold it and put it under the cart on the rack. Keep the groceries in the basket after purchase and go outside and load. I do have a silver mylar freezer liner bag for my big shopping bag, and I do fill that while I'm in the store shopping (I have to make sure stuff will fit to ride home and I've overbought a couple times, oops) but I empty the stuff back into cart before I go to the checkout. It's working okay. Pre-covid, though, not one store had an issue with my travoy as my shopping cart. Plenty folks bring those metal roller carts to shop in normal times as well.

Yeah, it's been useful to haul bags of mulch into the backyard and even some gym equipment that UPS left outside, lol. It tracks really well as a handcart and really minimizes the effort needed.
Old 01-11-21, 06:09 AM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I haven't taken mine in lately, I been using my new Surly Big Dummy for pretty much everything from commuting to errands. Hmm, wonder what the travoy would like like behind a cargo bike?
Old 01-11-21, 09:34 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I have taken mine in lots of stores in the area. From grocery to liquor stores. So far no one has asked me to leave it outside. I love that trailer. Hey you can even haul your Christmas tree.

Likes For Harhir:
Old 01-16-21, 11:48 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Bike Forums is the best. I would not have seen this if it wasn't for you. I like the design. I will see if I can find the funds to buy one.