Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Tire Size

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Tire Size

Old 04-06-21, 04:39 PM
NVBrandi

Bikes: Rans V Velocity Squared

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire Size

Hi All...
I have a Ram V Recumbent, the rear rim is a Alexrim DA16. What is the Largest Tire I can Safely put on this Rim? At almost 70, Im looking for a Softer ride! My Back and Butt Ain't what it used to be! LOL I use the Bike for a little Exercise and Cruising around the Neighborhood.
Thanks
Old 04-07-21, 08:13 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Look up the "Width Considerations" table (bright red and green) a few pages down in this article by the late Sheldon Brown. It also shows how to measure the width of your existing rim to get it right.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Old 04-09-21, 06:29 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I don't know what a "Ram V" is. Do you mean a RANS V-Rex? From what I can find, the internal dimensions of a DA-16 rim are 16.3mm. Using Sheldon Brown's chart (linked by VegasTriker) you could safely go 37mm, and I think even 1.5" would be OK as long as they fit inside the stays. Sheldon Brown's chart is admittedly conservative.
Old 04-14-21, 02:09 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
The largest width tire that will fit on any bike is pretty much a crap shoot. I'm all about trial and error. Oversized tires can rub in all kinds of places that you might not have considered. Some that I've encountered have been the front derailleur when the chain is in the granny ring, the chain when the chain is on the largest rear cog, front tire rubbing the bottom of the fork crown. I've read a lot of posts by people worrying about an extra wide tire fitting such and such of a rim. I've never personally encountered a problem with the rim other than bead seat diameter issues.