Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Why cruiser?

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Why cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-21, 12:57 PM
ggpepper

Bikes: Traitor & Nashbar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts

Boss Cruiser!
Old 06-08-21, 05:48 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Some of the previous comments are from people who don't speak English as a first language.

Cruise means: To travel in a fairly relaxed manner.

Cruiser bicycles are designed to be comfortable, but not to go fast. I would not ride one most of the time, because I like something that goes faster. But if I wanted to just ride a comfortable bike around when not in a hurry, I might ride one.

I can't speak for everywhere in the world. There may be somewhere where they have used the word cruiser differently.
Old 06-08-21, 05:58 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
I figure they're called that because you can ride them on sand with those huge tyres, there's very little to get messed up by riding them in a bit of salt water, and when you're finished you can just leave it on the beach for the next guy cause they're cheap as dirt.
Old 07-15-21, 11:17 PM
AlbatrossWheeld

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was born in the city nearby and then we moved to a small beach town in the 70's (5,000 people). That's been me ever since, even on vacation. I didn't hear of the term beach bike or beach cruiser until very recently, just cruiser. To me it's who you ask or the context of the conversation. Back then in our town only the the surfers & the ultra chill types rode cruisers. For some it was about style, but for everyone it was about state of mind. Slow pace most of the time unless you're late for work or big waves rising. The brother mode of transportation was the skateboard. On these you're relaxing, you're going somewhere, you're arriving in no hurry, the wind is in your hair, there's a breeze on your face and you'd have it no other way. The skateboard helped keep your balance sharp for on the surfboard and doing tighter maneuvers, the cruiser gave you opportunity to work on your flow...along a wave and in life in general. We rode our cruisers on the beach 1 or 2 times, then took them apart & found sand in the bearings and never rode them on the sand again. In our town that was stupid. But we didn't have extra money then either.
Old 07-16-21, 03:30 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
Some of the previous comments are from people who don't speak English as a first language.

Cruise means: To travel in a fairly relaxed manner.

Cruiser bicycles are designed to be comfortable, but not to go fast. I would not ride one most of the time, because I like something that goes faster. But if I wanted to just ride a comfortable bike around when not in a hurry, I might ride one.

I can't speak for everywhere in the world. There may be somewhere where they have used the word cruiser differently.
It'll go fast, if you make it fast.
Old 08-01-21, 02:34 PM
birdmove

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Bought a new Huffy Cranbrook some years back. It's the black and red one. I think it's a great looking bike. Had trouble with the coaster brake. It just didn't stop the bike well at all. Huffy sent me another rear wheel. Installed it and all was well for a while. Something went ad inside the rear hub. Ended up putting the origina!l wheel back on. Then came some health problems. Blown up right knee, prostate cancer, a hernia. The knee and the two years of cancer treatment took their toll on me. Gave the Huffy away. Started riding my other bike recently. It's s cheapo single speed flat bar road bike, with 700C tires. Used to go on 12-18 mile rides on that one. I'm doing a timed 2.5 mild ride every day now to see if I can regain some of my lost strength and stamina. The last part of the ride is a series of up hills, one of which I can just make it. I'll keep my old single speed road bike. It"s super easy to work on. But, I'm considering getting a multi speed bike so, hopefully, I can run some errands with it. Maybe 12-14 mile round trips. No more coaster brakes for me. If I decide to get a cruiser, it'll most likely be a 7 speed with just a rear derailer. For sure it'll have rim brakes. Don't see many cruiser bikes on the road between my house and Hilo, Hawaii. That's about a 24-30 mile round trip depending on where in Hilo. See a lot of drop bar road bikes, flat bars like mine, mountain bikes. At 67 with my health problems, I hope to again be able to make that ride. Used to do it on my single speed bike until about 5 years ago when my problems started. If I get stronger, I'll add a second lap. I also walk (with a cane due to the knee), and right after the walk I do some weights and squats and such. I have not been able to ride standing up due to that knee, which really makes hills tough. I actually ride a bike better than I walk. If I get a second bike, it probably won't be a cruiser, as most seem pretty heavy.

Last edited by birdmove; 08-15-21 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-17-21, 10:21 PM
Lastmohecken

Bikes: CB4 COGBURN FAT TIRE MOUNTAIN BIKE, with severe modifications

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I love that banana seat on that Boss Cruiser.