Search
Notices
Europe Europe

Danish gravel and city riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-21, 11:57 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Danish gravel and city riding

I'm heading to Denmark next week, specifically to do a gravel race/event near Tisvilde. Will also be in Copenhagen and Odense (home of Hans Christian Andersen). The riding will be split between gravel around Tisvilde and urban/near-urban riding in the rest.

Shot in the dark here...any pointers or special things I should know in advance? I'm aware of the winds, not a big deal, it's windy in Flanders, too. Special traffic laws? I've done some googling, but some actual real world experience is helpful.
Old 07-29-21, 02:11 AM
andresh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Be aware that Odense is like a city under construction, they are building two lines of tramways plus some changes on the main roads. They are rebuilding all around HC Andersen's house too to make a big park around it (it's open but it's not finished yet)
In Copenhagen be ready to be fast on the bike lane and dont you dare to make ANY mistake! it's a serious crime for danes if you hesitate for a millisecond while riding your bicycle also don't forget the usual signs when you stop and turn.
Enjoy!
Old 07-30-21, 12:02 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Hey andresh, thanks! The info on Odense is clear, I can adjust once I am there. Please explain what you mean by "be ready to be fast on the bike lane and dont you dare to make ANY mistake!" I'm not exactly a dawdler, are you suggesting that Danes are riding at race pace everywhere? How does one get to and from Mikkeller and enjoy it?
Old 07-30-21, 01:09 AM
andresh

Originally Posted by Badger6
Hey andresh, thanks! The info on Odense is clear, I can adjust once I am there. Please explain what you mean by "be ready to be fast on the bike lane and dont you dare to make ANY mistake!" I'm not exactly a dawdler, are you suggesting that Danes are riding at race pace everywhere? How does one get to and from Mikkeller and enjoy it?
Check out Roskilde, maybe it is interesting to you, they have a good viking ship museum and the cathedral, where most Danish queens and kings are buried. North of Copenhagen could be also interesting, there you can see "Bakken" a very analog amusement park (it's the oldest amusement park in the world) and the green area around it is full of beautiful deer (Dyrehaven).
Odense has some good parks and green areas to ride as well, you could start in Munke Mose (the central park), going South passing by the Zoo finishing in Skovsøen. Not far from there there is Den Fynske Landsby (The Funen Village) which is a village made with old buildings that has been moved there to show the life in the island in the old days. Kerteminde and Svendborg also also beautiful towns in Fyn.
About your question, Copenhageners enjoy pretending to be busy all day (they are not ) so the bicycle lane in the capital is busy, people ride fast and you must be very alert because you will usually have a lot of people around you. There are many Mikkeller in Denmark, I'm not sure which one you refer to?
The best view of the capital is from the top of Our Saviours's Church in Christianshavn.
I hope it helps!
Likes For andresh:
Old 07-30-21, 01:28 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

I was referring to Mikkeller Bar proper in Københaven V. Warpigs on the list for dinner one night also. I jest about riding to these places...we will walk or use the public transit. Our hotel is on Kalvebod Brygge, so quite central.

All good info, thanks! We are excited to be traveling again, and really looking forward to some time in DK.
Old 07-30-21, 06:46 AM
andresh

Originally Posted by Badger6
I was referring to Mikkeller Bar proper in Københaven V. Warpigs on the list for dinner one night also. I jest about riding to these places...we will walk or use the public transit. Our hotel is on Kalvebod Brygge, so quite central.
All good info, thanks! We are excited to be traveling again, and really looking forward to some time in DK.
you can go everywhere with your bicycle in CPH, using the bus is very easy because all stops are numbered so you always know where you are and how many stops are left to yours. I see the kind of food you guys like, if you want to try danish food, "Kanal Cafeen" has a good selection of smørrebrød (open sandwiches) and is very central, if you feel rich, you could try "Torvehallerne" which is a market with many halls to eat street food "Copenhagen style" (expensive), they also have special beers.
If you like breweries, in Odense you have "Anarkist" (Albanigade 20, Odense). Also in Fyn (the island where Odense is) you have Egeskov Slot (a castle). The castle inside is cool, but the park outside is perfect for a sunny picnic and they have a really good museum next to it with planes, cars, motorbikes and some bicycles too.
Going back to beers, if you find them try "Ærø" beers. Ærø is a small island south of Fyn and they have a famous brewery there with interesting products.

Last edited by andresh; 07-30-21 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-10-21, 01:54 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

andresh all of your info was great and helpful. I did a few rides around Tisvilde over the weekend, including a 160km Rapha sponsored event ride. Did a few tours of Copenhagen so far, and will get one more in tomorrow morning before we head to Odense. Will take your advice on the tour for that area...then back to Belgium before the weekend. Again, thanks!

Last edited by Badger6; 08-10-21 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-11-21, 01:17 AM
andresh

awesome! I hope you guys enjoy better weather this week! I forgot to mention it but "Storms Pakhus" could be a good place for a relaxing dinner with many food stalls and good beers
Enjoy!
Old 08-16-21, 01:26 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Thanks for all of the tips. It was a nice visit, and I had some really enjoyable rides.
Likes For Badger6: