Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Intermediate Shaft on daVinci tandem

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Intermediate Shaft on daVinci tandem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-21, 07:35 AM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
I am not kidding. Pulling and disassembling the intermediate shaft is not a simple task and involves tools typical bike owners do not use very often, further complicating the job. While I can now pull the intermediate shaft, I have to lay the bike on its side (freewheels down), stick something under the freewheel tool to keep it from falling out, use my foot to hold the Crescent wrench on the freewheel tool, and then use the chain whip in a horizontal position to keep it from slipping off. While that does work, I am guessing others have come up with more elegant ways of doing this. I think a video would be a big help to daVinci owners.

I don't know how it is in other cities, but here the LBS (since Covid) will only work on bikes they sold. So, if you have a daVinci, you're on your own to work on it (except for this listserv and Todd).

Last edited by jethro00; 08-21-21 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-21-21, 08:28 AM
sdodd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
I'm not sure I agree that these are unusual tools? To remove my intermediate shaft I use:
1) bike stand
2) chain whip
3) crescent wrench
4) DFB tool
Out of those the DFB tool is the only unusual tool.
Sounds like the big difference between what you do and what I do is the bike stand, which helps hold the tandem while you work on it.
simon
Old 08-21-21, 01:14 PM
jethro00

While a chain whip is not a specialty tool like the DFB tool, what I meant is that most bike owners don't have one.

I have a bike stand. But, with the bike on the stand, I had difficulty holding the crescent wrench on the DFB tool while also keeping the chain whip in place. The chain whip kept slipping off. So, I put the bike horizontal which makes it easier to keep the chain whip in place, and allows me to use my foot to keep the crescent wrench from moving. Hence, I would like to see a video of how others are doing this. It's a lot easier to put the bike on the stand than it is to put it on the floor and get down on the floor to work on it.
Old 08-21-21, 02:14 PM
jethro00

<<Shift into the largest front sprocket, smallest rear sprocket, hold the rear brake, and stand on the captain’s pedal for a moment. The torque from the chain on the freewheel will thread it on the rest of the way.>>

That was a great idea!!! I did exactly as you suggested, and voila - the gap disappeared.
As a bonus, I used my new torque wrench set to tighten the eccentrics. That's the first time I have been able to regulate the torque other than the feels about right method.

S-o-o-o, I took her out for a test spin. Naturally, it's 92 degrees, humid, and a lot of traffic on my nearby smooth road with a bike lane. But, I didn't care because there is no grinding. The captain's freewheel must have been worn. I can't get into the big ring. I'll put her on the stand and work on that before our morning ride tomorrow.

Now we have a new cassette, chains, all rings, and freewheels. With proper maintenance, those parts should last a while. I can't thank all of you enough for the help. I doubt I would have figured all the issues out without you.
Likes For jethro00:
Old 08-21-21, 08:14 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Ok jethro00 , as requested, a video of DFB removal and installation. I also demonstrated how to remove the sprockets with a single chain whip, although that part may only be applicable to older models. Anyhow, let me know what you think of the video. Looking back I made a mistake around the 9:30 mark. I didn't keep the drive chain fully seated on the stoker's crank which is why I had a hard time getting the DFB to thread back on nicely.

Old 08-22-21, 04:01 PM
jethro00

That's a really good video! I learned something from watching it. Thanks for doing the video. Seeing the process is better than just reading the directions and looking at a diagram.
Old 08-23-21, 08:15 AM
jethro00

We have ridden twice since installing the new freewheels, about 1.5 hours on Sunday and 45 minute this morning. We had a flat front tire on Sunday about half way into our ride. Fortunately, a set of new Schwalbe Marathon Mondials had arrived a few days ago. So, I replaced both tires after we got home. The Grand Junction is running smoothly now, no grinding or slipping.
Old 08-23-21, 08:24 AM
sdodd

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Glad to hear that you have things running again! Enjoy the tandem!
Old 10-09-21, 12:42 PM
jethro00

I want to once again thank all of you who chimed in with information and advice. Our area is still getting put back together in the aftermath of Hurricane Ida. Starting with the second morning after Ida, we were able to take our morning bike ride on the daVinci Grand Junction. As we await a new roof and window replacement, we really appreciate our morning bike rides, facilitated by the information and advice we received on this forum.
Likes For jethro00: