Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Redundo, my latest ecumbent cargo bike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 04:40 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts

Meet Redundo, my latest dual drive ecumbent from a RANS Stratus LE frame with 500W 48V Bafang 20” front hub, TSDZ2 OSF, Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires, and the remains of a Burley Nomad converted to a flat bed with 35G Rubbermaid ActionPacker. Using the same pair of 52V 20Ah Luna DireWolf batteries as on Blutus.

Likes For andychrist:
Old 09-06-21, 06:22 AM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question, how does this setup work when going up hill? Is there enough traction on that front hub to pull rider and gear?
Old 09-06-21, 06:30 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
It's a dual ve system, not just the front hub motor.
I'd imagine it all depends on how steep the hill is.
Old 09-06-21, 04:40 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Fullcount
Question, how does this setup work when going up hill? Is there enough traction on that front hub to pull rider and gear?
It’s dual drive, with a TSDZ2 crank drive powering the rear wheel. But the TongShen with Open Source Firmware is pretty crappy so the Bafang front hub actually does most of the heavy lifting. 2.4” wide Schwalbe Super MotoX tires certainly help, I can make it up the steepest paved hills over 15mph and my gravel driveway at about 10mph. Wouldn’t want to go any faster there because of its sharp curve midway up.

Incidentally, today’s ride was 43 miles, top speed 47mph, averaging 17.7mph and hauling close to a hundred pounds of supplies back home between the Catskills and Berkshires. Even managed to sneak in a brief session at the U-Pick – and still have enough energy to prepare dinner! (Too bad I’m a lousy cook though.)