Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

New to the Brompton Folding World

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 09-11-21, 11:52 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

Okay. I'm a bit disappointed that there were 155 views as of today regarding my 'Brompton Parts' thread with zero responses. I thought that I posed legitimate questions.

Never-the-less, I did go ahead and purchased the British Racing Green M6R after more research online, through emails and talking with some local mechanics that I trust. I'm really happy and look forward to many miles ahead. I am spending time watching a lot of You Tube videos and learning the intricacies of Bromptons.

I'm absolutely sure that I'll have questions and comments for the forum and hopefully I'll get better/some/any responses now that I'm officially in the fold (pun intended ).

Take care and be well.
Old 09-12-21, 07:38 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
...I did go ahead and purchased the British Racing Green M6R...
Nice touch!
Old 09-12-21, 11:47 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Okay. I'm a bit disappointed that there were 155 views as of today regarding my 'Brompton Parts' thread with zero responses. I thought that I posed legitimate questions.

Never-the-less, I did go ahead and purchased the British Racing Green M6R after more research online, through emails and talking with some local mechanics that I trust. I'm really happy and look forward to many miles ahead. I am spending time watching a lot of You Tube videos and learning the intricacies of Bromptons.

I'm absolutely sure that I'll have questions and comments for the forum and hopefully I'll get better/some/any responses now that I'm officially in the fold (pun intended ).

Take care and be well.
Most of us in the USA don't own a Brommie, so your post will get comments from only certain members here in the forums. I don't have a Brompton, so I personally can't/won't recommend "Brompton specific" parts/mods. I own over 7 folders, and I recommend things that are universal to all folding bikes. It's as simple as that. Have a great day,...
Old 09-12-21, 12:21 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Most of us in the USA don't own a Brommie, so your post will get comments from only certain members here in the forums. I don't have a Brompton, so I personally can't/won't recommend "Brompton specific" parts/mods. I own over 7 folders, and I recommend things that are universal to all folding bikes. It's as simple as that. Have a great day,...
Makes sense. Take care.
Likes For MAK:
Old 09-12-21, 12:41 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Makes sense. Take care.
This doesn't mean that you're not going to post pictures and a review, does it? I may not own a Brompton, but it doesn't mean that I can't live vicariously through your purchase/enjoyment of this beautiful bike,... Please, keep us posted, and CONGRATULATIONS on your new addition to the household.
Old 09-13-21, 01:17 AM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Well Brommies are solid folding bikes and we had a family of M6s for over 8 years for shorter commutes and transport. The compactness of the fold, the simplicity of the screw clamp lock for joints, easy wheels make it a nice city bike. They've refined it over the years, while keeping the bike essentially the same folding design. They ride quite comfortably, if a bit twitchy in steering. and are a little on the heavy side, especially when you put in rack and mud guards etc. I also had a Dahon which was less elegant but worked well.
It was only when Tern came out with their elegant OCL joints, adjustable cockpit and even bigger wheeled (20-27.5"), that we switched completely away. There was no need for his/her bikes, because the Verge could be quickly adjusted to all our sizes quickly. And they are of comparable weight to the Brommie, but ride much more comfortably, with a more gears to fit the conditions. LIke every other brand Tern bikes are not without downsides like the chain facing outside, without a chain guard for grease mess, larger folded dimensions, and the welds look ugly compared to the brazing of Brommies.
Originally Posted by MAK

Take care and be well.
Old 09-21-21, 04:22 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
MAK

Sorry about the late entry! I haven’t checked in for awhile. Congrats on the Brompton purchase and welcome to the club. Wish mine was BRG but it came from CL. Still love my M2L whole lot!

Ive had mine for over a year and take it everywhere when I trip. It really opens up opportunities to ride when you are traveling.

pic:

Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 09-21-21, 07:21 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Ive had mine for over a year and take it everywhere when I trip. It really opens up opportunities to ride when you are traveling.
That's at my current outpost:

Likes For 2_i: