Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recent "condition" just showed up....

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Recent "condition" just showed up....

Old 08-13-21, 05:21 PM
  #26  
stephr1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA (Yes, that one :)
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Update...

Pretty much located the source of the noise, and when I figured it out, I remembered hearing similar noises in the distant past (and they may not be good news

The noise is primarily coming from the rear wheel, specifically, the chain isn't consistently seating onto the cog. I pulled the rear wheel and first noticed that shaft/bearings was a bit more loose than I remembered. That was easy. Tightened it up.

What I also noticed (after tightening the shaft) is that the cassette had a bit of play in it. Best guess was 1/32" or less when I wiggled the big cog (1st gear).

I pulled the cassette and checked the free hub. Free hub spins freely in one direction (and can hear the soft tick of the pawl latching) and locked up tight spinning the opposite direction, which is a good thing. It *seemed* solidly mounted but I plan to go back and make sure it's still bolted on tight. If I can't get rid of the problem it looks like I'm in for either a new free hub and/or new cassette...and neither is that old The good news is that I have an 8-speed hub I bought some years ago but never installed. The bad news is that I just replaced a broken 7-speed shifter.

Couple of questions....

1. When I pulled the cassette (Shimano HG-41 iirc) it looked as if there should have been 3 rivets holding all but the top cog together (top cog and cassette held onto the free hub by a "nut"). I figure the rivets are there to keep the cogs aligned with each other and, once the nut is tightened down, the rivets don't matter. True?

2. The 1/32" play in the cassette...is that enough to cause the chain to do what it's doing?

3. At least a few years ago I installed a RD-M410 rear der with a short cage (Bike originally came with a long cage). Is the jockey wheel (one at the top) bi-directional, as in, does it matter which way it is placed into the cage? Or is there only one way it can be mounted (Mind you, the jockey wheel has not been removed/reinstalled anytime recently, that I can remember anyway)?

4. If I used the 8-speed free hub (assuming that's the problem) with the 7-speed cassette (with a spacer to ensure it can be tightened correctly onto the free hub) do I have to "dish" the rear wheel at all, given that it's already set up for a 7-speed system?

Thx in advance...cheers....
stephr1 is offline  
Old 09-05-21, 06:51 PM
  #27  
stephr1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA (Yes, that one :)
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Just wanted to circle back around and stated that I solved this problem. Check out this posting: https://www.bikeforums.net/22214247-post11.html

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help. I am grateful I have this forum to check in with.
stephr1 is offline  
Old 09-12-21, 11:38 AM
  #28  
yannisg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NW Peloponnese, Greece
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I had a clicking sound from the BB area when I either pedaled hard or pedaled off the saddle.
I spent a lot of time on the BB30 brgs, but in the end the clicking was from crank-chain rings.
When I dis-assembled the crank and chain rings cleaned and smoothed contact areas, greased and torqued chain ring bolts to spec there was no more clicking.
After a few years the clicking started again. The 1st thing I did was work on the crank-chain rings, and the clicking was again resolved.
This might not be yr case, but it is worth looking into.
yannisg is offline  
Old 09-12-21, 06:06 PM
  #29  
stephr1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA (Yes, that one :)
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by yannisg View Post
I had a clicking sound from the BB area when I either pedaled hard or pedaled off the saddle.
I spent a lot of time on the BB30 brgs, but in the end the clicking was from crank-chain rings.
When I dis-assembled the crank and chain rings cleaned and smoothed contact areas, greased and torqued chain ring bolts to spec there was no more clicking.
After a few years the clicking started again. The 1st thing I did was work on the crank-chain rings, and the clicking was again resolved.
This might not be yr case, but it is worth looking into.
Appreciate the feedback. This time it was *just* the right pedal bearings getting loose.

Initially I thought it might be a chain ring issue. Saw some things that indicated as such. Further investigation led me to the cassette/freehub. Saw some things there that made me think that was it. And the sound was familiar to the freehub pawls locking in, so I figured it was just echoing thru the bike. New freehub, new cassette, known good chain, regreased rear hub bearings (needed it anyway)....none of it helped. Went back to the front and double-checked the BB: firm, tight and free moving.

Had checked the pedals but, apparently, not very well. Went back to them and worked them around enough to tell the bearings were worn and the pedals (right one, specifically) were loose. Had some older pedals I had replaced because they had become stiffer (as in very little spinning, i.e. lube gone inside). However, the moment I put them on, the problem went away. Go figure.

I'm mechanically inclined (have torn down and rebuilt 3 engines: V8, 4-inline, 3 cyl. motorcycle, transmission and a couple of front ends) but this little bugger certainly had me confused. However, again being an engineer, I'm a problem solver, and I finally solved the problem. If I could only find someone who would pay me my hourly rate

Cheers....
stephr1 is offline  
Old 09-12-21, 06:20 PM
  #30  
Gravel Rider
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Does the bike have disk brakes? Maybe tweaked rotor.
Gravel Rider is offline  
Old 09-12-21, 06:32 PM
  #31  
stephr1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA (Yes, that one :)
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Problem solved. Thanks for the continued suggestions. See my post Nos. 27 (https://www.bikeforums.net/22216752-post27.html) and 29 (https://www.bikeforums.net/22227107-post29.html) above.

Thanks and cheers....
stephr1 is offline  
Old 09-13-21, 10:42 AM
  #32  
yannisg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NW Peloponnese, Greece
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
[QUOTE=stephr1;22227107]Appreciate the feedback. This time it was *just* the right pedal bearings getting loose.

Initially I thought it might be a chain ring issue.

Glad you solved it.
Noises can be difficult to solve sometimes, and very annoying specially if you are particular about maintaining yr bike.
yannisg is offline  
Old 09-14-21, 08:26 PM
  #33  
stephr1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA (Yes, that one :)
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
[QUOTE=yannisg;22228027]
Originally Posted by stephr1 View Post
Appreciate the feedback. This time it was *just* the right pedal bearings getting loose.

Initially I thought it might be a chain ring issue.

Glad you solved it.
Noises can be difficult to solve sometimes, and very annoying specially if you are particular about maintaining yr bike.
I have a "double whammy"...I try to maintain my bike reasonably well (didn't for a number of years and realized that was not a good strategy The other is that I'm an engineer, typically a problem solver. Not being able to figure out what's wrong drives me nuts, especially when I think I've found the problem, but find out it wasn't. However, I stick to it until I either solve it, or buy a new one

This particular problem was tough to figure out cuz I couldn't reproduce it on the bike stand. It would only show up when I was riding and that's kind of hard when you're trying to dodge cars and figure out the source of the sound at the same time. I guess in this case it was more of a "brute force" approach. Replace things until the sound goes away. Fortunately I had enough spare parts (both used and unused) that I could use for swapping out.

My overriding concern was since I couldn't be sure if it was something inside the drive train (freehub, cassette, chain, etc.) I had to limit my riding...just in case. Nice to know it was a kind of simple issue, but frustrating because I spent so much time having to solve a simple issue.

Cheers....
stephr1 is offline  
Old 09-15-21, 04:56 AM
  #34  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 4,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 784 Posts
[QUOTE=stephr1;22230433]
Originally Posted by yannisg View Post

I have a "double whammy"...I try to maintain my bike reasonably well (didn't for a number of years and realized that was not a good strategy The other is that I'm an engineer, typically a problem solver. Not being able to figure out what's wrong drives me nuts, especially when I think I've found the problem, but find out it wasn't. However, I stick to it until I either solve it, or buy a new one

This particular problem was tough to figure out cuz I couldn't reproduce it on the bike stand. It would only show up when I was riding and that's kind of hard when you're trying to dodge cars and figure out the source of the sound at the same time. I guess in this case it was more of a "brute force" approach. Replace things until the sound goes away. Fortunately I had enough spare parts (both used and unused) that I could use for swapping out.

My overriding concern was since I couldn't be sure if it was something inside the drive train (freehub, cassette, chain, etc.) I had to limit my riding...just in case. Nice to know it was a kind of simple issue, but frustrating because I spent so much time having to solve a simple issue.

Cheers....
I've always had to service & overhaul Known Good Brands platform pedals frequently compared to KGB clipless. OF the KGB platform pedals that were disassembled for service, the % of rendering them unserviceable was higher than being a reconditioned assembly.
Have not had as much clipless pedals requiring servicing & overhauling. Also have had a low % that were unserviceable. Don't really know why that is the case, but it is what it is.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 09-15-21, 11:01 AM
  #35  
stephr1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA (Yes, that one :)
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
[QUOTE=Troul;22230672]
Originally Posted by stephr1 View Post

I've always had to service & overhaul Known Good Brands platform pedals frequently compared to KGB clipless. OF the KGB platform pedals that were disassembled for service, the % of rendering them unserviceable was higher than being a reconditioned assembly.
Have not had as much clipless pedals requiring servicing & overhauling. Also have had a low % that were unserviceable. Don't really know why that is the case, but it is what it is.
Appreciate your input. It brings up a curious question(s)....

My last 2 sets of pedals have been low end Forte clipless pedals, sometimes with "comp" in the title (I've been using the most recent ones again until my new pedals arrive). The Forte (as well as the new) pedals use sleeve bearings (think I've seen them referenced as DU - "Double U's"?) and are described as "sealed" (tho, not sure if that refers only to the bearings or to the whole main assembly).

So, is there a way to take these apart without destroying them? And could I refurbish them, assuming I could actually find the right bearings to do so?

Thanks and cheers....
stephr1 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.