Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Good hardtail mountain bikes?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-21, 05:28 AM
TinfoilHat01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been looking for a good hardtail mountain bike for around $900 and need help. There are so many options! I think I have narrowed down a good pick: Polygon xtrada 5 2x10. I choose this because it has the following: derailleur hanger, modular chain ring setup, not threaded headset, disc brakes, frame geometry and 11-42 tooth 10 speed cassette with a 22-36 tooth at the front. What do you guys think? I'm a bit hesetant on this option because it is my first mountain bike.
Old 09-15-21, 06:26 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Looks better than what a lot of us started with. If it is available, go for it.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-15-21, 07:28 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
For $900 it looks fine, though some of those parts brands (tires and cranks) I have not heard of. But cranks are cranks, IMO, and any $900 bike is going to have questionable tires on them.

If someone gave that to me, I think I would upgrade the fork and tires and be fine with the rest. Oh, and you should budget for a dropper post if you plan to ride single-track.
Old 09-15-21, 11:06 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
I suggest the Trek Marlin (7, AIR) with Rock Shox (albeit low end), Shimano drivetrain & brakes, and dealer support for about the same price.
Likes For 2old:
Old 09-30-21, 12:06 PM
Brian Marshall

Bikes: 2014 Trek X Caliber 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Polygon is a solid direct-to-consumer brand and their bikes are pretty good. You save a little over some of the bigger names like Trek and Specialized, but you also lose out on the relationship with the shop you buy it from. If I was starting out all over again knowing what I know after 25+ yrs mountain biking, I would buy a used bike and take it to my local shop and have them do a once over and tune-up. $900 will get you a decent new bike, but it will also get you a much nicer used bike. And if you stick with mountain biking, it will be a great resource to have a relationship with your LBS. Best of luck
Old 10-02-21, 05:44 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The Specialized Rockhopper Comp is an excellent value and there are both 27.5 and 29" versions. These are also much easier to find at shops at this time. I suspect that in late October there will be a better supply of bikes in the shops and more choices available.
Old 10-03-21, 06:31 AM
matton

Bikes: Trek Marlin 5, Contend 3

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Go for it, XTRADA 5 is a fantastic bike for trails.