Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Why 30 mile ride is max for hybrid?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Why 30 mile ride is max for hybrid?

Old 09-16-21, 02:28 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2018)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
"You can ride your bike wherever the hell you want"
"... but this is what we think this bike is best at."
Old 09-16-21, 05:44 PM
smadsen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
Yep. Neither new bike (black) or its predecessor has ever held me back as far as rides of whatever distance/duration are concerned. Both are commonly referred to as 'hybrids'. Neither is a 'hybrid' of anything. They are just my bikes. If I called them anything, I'd call them 'flat-bar road bikes'. I've set them up to suit me and the cycling I do: city streets, MUP system, paved and smooth dirt roads; anything from 20 minutes to a long day out; anything from a few blocks to the shops, to a hundred miles* -- all solo.
Yes, exactly, it depends what they mean by "hybrid". I have a Sirrus as well, and they're more of what used to be called a flat bar road bike, set up for longer and faster rides. I regularly do up to 60 miles on mine. Although if I were to try the same thing with my wife's hybrid/city bike I'd definitely be a lot slower and therefore would keep it closer to home.
Old 09-17-21, 07:14 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by smadsen View Post
Yes, exactly, it depends what they mean by "hybrid". I have a Sirrus as well, and they're more of what used to be called a flat bar road bike, set up for longer and faster rides. I regularly do up to 60 miles on mine. Although if I were to try the same thing with my wife's hybrid/city bike I'd definitely be a lot slower and therefore would keep it closer to home.
'Flat bar road bike' was a marketing term that came around in the mid-00s, and tried to cast off the geekier and slower, less performance-oriented, image of hybrids, which itself had been a marketing term to try to make regular non-specialized bikes (like road racing or mountain bikes) seem cool. Before the mid-late 80s, what we call a 'hybrid bike' was just called a 'bike'.

In reality, the only difference between a 'hybrid' and a 'flat bar road bike' was really mainly slightly narrower and lighter high pressure tires on the FBRB. Any hybrid can be adapted to faster tires, and maybe a small adjustment to rider position, to become a 'flat bar road bike'.

Also,
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 09-17-21, 07:43 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by tclong03 View Post
I have seen it, heard it, and read about a hybrid bike is only good for 30 miles or less fitness ride. Anyone got any real answers or stories of doing a lot more then 30 miles? I just don't really get it. Their geometry is really not to different from gravel bikes. Just they have flat bars.
Please point out where you are seeing this nonsense. Never heard anything like it before.
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-17-21, 07:50 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 21 Bianchi Infinito; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
But fatbikes! How many of those did you see? Any stats on completion?
It's not PBP, but it's a DAMn long ride with a fatbike ... https://www.bikeforums.net/22195497-post28.html

Long story short: a fatbike can ride long distances too
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 09-17-21, 07:58 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3023 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 727 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
It's not PBP, but it's a DAMn long ride with a fatbike ... https://www.bikeforums.net/22195497-post28.html

Long story short: a fatbike can ride long distances too
Oh yeah, I've enjoyed your DAMn posts. Hey, now that your mid-Augusts are free, you should put some slicks on that thing and come along to France in a couple of years (fingers crossed that it happens)!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-17-21, 10:48 AM
jkbrooks

Bikes: Ti Mosaic G2 & Ti Davidson coupled

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I saw some hybrids on PBP in 2011. That's a 4 day 750 mile ride. OTOH, if I caught them, they were in trouble

I don't remember seeing any in 2019. But maybe they were just overshadowed by the guys riding fatbikes.
Fatbikes on PBP? That seems like totally next level crazy . . . hey! let's make a hard thing even harder!

In terms of 30 mile limit on flat bars, I dont think the issue is the bars per se. I think it's likely a wrist angle thing. I've got a couple Ti roadbikes that I spend a bit of time on; +/- 150 miles/week. I've also got an Ebike (Pedago) that I swapped the sweep bars for flat bars on. That was probably dumb. If I'm on the thing for more than 30 minutes or so, my hands/wrists start to hurt. Might be that I just hate the bike so I'm looking for things to not like.

I'm looking for a used hybrid as a kickaround/grocery getter. I'll likely put some variation of the Velo Orange sweep/rando bars on it.