Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New Stove

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

New Stove

Old 09-14-21, 07:27 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 944 Times in 529 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
I haven't owned or used a Dragonfly. I know that people complain about the Whisperlite and the Svea123 though which I find quite pleasant. I guess maybe the Dragonfly is much louder. I just have a hard time imagining noise being a major deal. Then again as I said I haven't used a Dragonfly. Maybe, it would annoy me too. Otoh, I sleep fine next to the highway or railroad tracks where folks say the noise keeps them up all night. I read about places where people say it was impossible to sleep and remember sleeping like a baby there. So maybe I am just pretty tolerant about noise
Continuing the plane analogy, a Whisperlite (clue in the name) and a 123 would be a Cessna, a Dragonfly is a B52 taking off fully loaded. If you are in a small room with one going full noise, you have to shout, but your coffee will be ready in a minute.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 09-14-21, 07:58 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
My MSR Dragonfly worked flawlessly this morning and evening. Boiled water for coffee in a few minutes without it being on high to keep the noise down.
I switched to a Dragonfly last year because our venerable 35 year old Peak 1 (which could nicely simmer) finally bit the dust. I overall very much like the dragonfly... great simmer, large pot base. However, one thing I find peculiar is that after I pump it, I must be somewhat careful not to touch the main pump cap else it may leak. The top is a bit flexible since it is the "o-ring" that holds the pressure. I am ok with it now, having learned not to touch it. Is this common or is my tank cap in the pump perhaps defective?
Thanks for the input.
Old 09-14-21, 11:13 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM, 2008 BikeFriday tikit T-♾, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2019 Surly ½DT14, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 245 Posts
Hailing from the Great Plains...

...I've always wondered how those backpacking/cycletouring no-need-to-bring-fuel 'wood' burning stoves would work with buffalo (cow) chips?

I don't doubt there's youtube or crazy guy that explores this and I just haven't entered the correct search terms yet.

Off the top of my head I think this is a horses-for-courses mismatch. I could be wrong.
Old 09-14-21, 11:27 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 125 Posts
...I've always wondered how those backpacking/cycletouring no-need-to-bring-fuel 'wood' burning stoves would work with buffalo (cow) chips?

I don't doubt there's youtube or crazy guy that explores this and I just haven't entered the correct search terms yet.

Off the top of my head I think this is a horses-for-courses mismatch. I could be wrong.
I believe the Sierra and the Bio lite stoves will burn the patties due to the electric fans in them.
Likes For Rick:
Old 09-14-21, 06:28 PM
JAG1

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
The Dragonfly is pretty damn loud on high, and pretty damn hot. I once pumped one right up and used it to boil 12L (4 gallons) of water, didn't take long, but sounded like a small jet plane taking off.
I have used MRS Dragonfly extensively with K1 Kerosene, and use denatured alcohol to "PRIME" the stove to gassify the kerosene which then burns very clean and efficient.

I do not know why the video wont launch, so just click the active link <Watch on YouTube> and it will play fine. The DK-Jet is the kerosene jet for the DragonFly.
Simmer to full on burner.

Last edited by JAG1; 09-14-21 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-14-21, 06:38 PM
JAG1

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas View Post
I switched to a Dragonfly last year because our venerable 35 year old Peak 1 (which could nicely simmer) finally bit the dust. I overall very much like the dragonfly... great simmer, large pot base. However, one thing I find peculiar is that after I pump it, I must be somewhat careful not to touch the main pump cap else it may leak. The top is a bit flexible since it is the "o-ring" that holds the pressure. I am ok with it now, having learned not to touch it. Is this common or is my tank cap in the pump perhaps defective?
Thanks for the input.
Yes, you need to service your stove, buy a service kit and correct the problem.
Old 09-14-21, 06:49 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by JAG1 View Post
Yes, you need to service your stove, buy a service kit and correct the problem.
I don't think that is the problem. I have a service kit. The pump and stove were new when this occurred.
Old 09-19-21, 06:11 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've used a few and prefer the Bushbuddy for cooking (a clone if a copy, actually). It's a gasifier stove. I also have an Emberlit clone and it's more of a "contained camp fire".

Some people mentioned the MSR Dragonfly. I had one and hated it. It's like having a Harrier jet hovering close by. It's heavy, packs awkwardly, the pump is unreliable and the pot stand is slippery. The pumps is also a pain to connect, especially in the cold.
Old 09-19-21, 06:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13737 Post(s)
Liked 6,620 Times in 3,359 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas View Post
Thanks for the input.
Never had that happen. I have even pumped mine while it’s burning.
Old 09-19-21, 06:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13737 Post(s)
Liked 6,620 Times in 3,359 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
Continuing the plane analogy, a Whisperlite (clue in the name) and a 123 would be a Cessna, a Dragonfly is a B52 taking off fully loaded. If you are in a small room with one going full noise, you have to shout, but your coffee will be ready in a minute.

Good one!

I also have an Optimus Nova. Noticeably quieter and not as bulky when packed. I use it mostly for shorter trips because the fuel bottle is 26 Oz vs. 32 for the Dragonfly.

When I got to Burlington after the first day of riding the Outdoor Gear Exchange sold me 32 Oz of fuel. The cashier and I went out on the sidewalk and filled the bottle from a gallon can. Gotta love Burlington, VT.