Old 02-02-10, 11:44 PM
jwgreer01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Santa Barbara to San Diego

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are amateur bike riders and plan to ride from Santa Barbara to San Diego, at a leisurely pace. I would appreciate any advice on what to avoid or where to ride - specifically through congested parts of Los Angeles. We'd like to follow the coast as much as possible, but if this isn't doable in some areas, we'd like to know where and why!

Thanks
Old 02-03-10, 10:57 AM
anon_cyclist
--

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you haven't already, you might consider getting a copy of Bicycling the Pacific Coast: A Complete Route Guide, Canada to Mexico (Spring and Kirkendall, 2005, ISBN 0-89886-954-4), which as its title implies, describes a route as close to the coast as possible, including the Santa Barbara-San Diego section of interest to you. It also gives other valuable advice, if you're new to bicycle touring.
Old 02-03-10, 11:08 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
It's entirely doable, but it does get a little ugly in some spots, like Hwy 1 just before Santa Monica. (Unless someone can chime in here with an alternate route.) But you can always plan your trip so that you can pass that section early on a Sunday morning.
Hwy 1 cuts straight across the Palos Verdes Peninsula to Long Beach, but if you can stand the climbing, Palos Verdes Drive along the coast is a memorable (in a good way) ride.
But once you get to Seal Beach, it's going to be nothing but bliss. I've never done the whole trip in one sitting, but I've ridden every stretch at one point or another.
How many days are you taking?
Camping or hotelling?
Have you and your gf (kudos btw on finding an adventurous rider girl) finished a century or done any ride this long before? (Sometimes the things that sound like fun in cocktail party conversations don't end up quite like we expect.)
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 02-03-10, 10:35 PM
SanDiegoCyclist

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Trek 520, Waterford

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife and I have done that SB-SD route several times. If convenient, you can take Amtrak to Santa Barbara. It's easy to take your bikes on the passsenger cars and hang them up on special hooks at the end of some of the cars. Also, Adventure Cycling (adventurecycling.org) has a map you can buy on line that will help with the route. In LA, starting around Santa Monica to Redondo Beach, you can take the bicycle trail along the beach. Lots of skateboarders, joggers, dogs, and kids, but much better than staying on the road. From Redondo Beach, the Adventury Cycling map takes you up and through Pales Verdes, much better than staying on Highway1. If you want more info, send me a message. Would be glad to help.
Likes For SanDiegoCyclist:
Old 02-04-10, 10:31 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Originally Posted by SanDiegoCyclist
If you want more info, send me a message. Would be glad to help.
Why don't you post it in here? This thread has whet my appetite for a train ride north on a 3-day weekend and I'd like to hear more insights too. (Just because I've ridden those stretches doesn't mean I know ALL of the best routes.)
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 02-04-10, 11:29 AM
bretgross

Bikes: Zinn road bike, Rockhopper MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another place to consider an early morning passage is Laguna Beach. Only a couple miles of it are crowded, but you'll enjoy it a lot more if you pass through on a Saturday or Sunday morning between about 7 and 9.
Old 02-26-10, 03:08 PM
Ray R

Bikes: 5 Colnago, 2 Olmo, Bianchi, 4 Austro-Daimler, Merlin, Fisher Tandem, John Waite track tandem, Schwinns, Steyrs, Bill Holland Ti path racer, Chinese prototype FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that the worst spots are Malibu: loads of drunks after about 2 pm and very hostile locals coupled with narrow roadways; and Laguna Beach: in spite of having two lanes in either direction, there is always at least one spoiled kid in his mom's BMW who is going to amp out when you try to take the lane and will try to squeeze you into parked cars. Orangutan County is by far the worst for self-centered rude drivers.
Old 02-26-10, 04:20 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by Ray R
Orangutan County
FTW.
Thanks for enriching my word power today. [wipes projectile-booger from monitor]

Last edited by calamarichris; 02-26-10 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-04-10, 12:52 PM
Ray R

Bikes: 5 Colnago, 2 Olmo, Bianchi, 4 Austro-Daimler, Merlin, Fisher Tandem, John Waite track tandem, Schwinns, Steyrs, Bill Holland Ti path racer, Chinese prototype FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got that zinger from Alfred E. Nash III up at the Encino Velodrome. He has an entire repertoire of amusing things to say when announcing track races.
Old 08-03-10, 06:11 PM
moshany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
We are planning to do the route from Santa Barbara to San Diego in 2 weeks.
Can you please send as detailed map as possible?
Thanks
Old 08-03-10, 09:53 PM
sd_mike
Cyclocross - Go anywhere!

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been working on a route around the Harbor area in Los Angeles. So far, I think I've got a good one. Basically, take Palos Verdes Drive North to Vermont Ave to Lomita Blvd to Wilmington Ave to Sepulveda Blvd (turns into Willow St) to the Los Angeles River Bike Trail, down to Long Beach. It bypasses the worst of the harbor district with roads that have decent shoulders and aren't six-lane boulevards with no shoulders. I'll be riding that route Saturday on my way from downtown Los Angeles to ... Well, I haven't figured out whether Irvine, Fullerton, San Juan Capistrano, or even Oceanside.

As to a map, try REI, they sell the Adventure Cycling maps which show good detail along the route.
Old 08-09-10, 06:57 PM
sd_mike
Cyclocross - Go anywhere!

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the route: Palos Verdes Drive N - Vermont Ave - Lomita Blvd - Wilmington Ave - Sepulveda Blvd - Willow St - Los Angeles River Trail to be a very decent route. There was light traffic and plenty of shoulder space (some of which was posted no parking). So, to bypass the worst of the Harbor area, I'd recommend that route. Works both directions.
Old 08-09-10, 08:23 PM
jabantik00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm poor and find the aca maps to be quite expensive. i have bent over and bought their maps in the past, but i don't care to do it again. most of the information and routes is available online at sites such as https://tsteven4.qwestoffice.net/ <- this dude put in most/all the waypoints and information and whatnot of most/all of the aca routes in google earth. way cool.
Old 10-25-19, 04:18 PM
stevengvandyk

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is exactly the bike trip my son (34) and I (66) plan to take so would be grateful for any detailed information! Thanks!
Likes For stevengvandyk:
Old 10-28-19, 08:50 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by stevengvandyk
This is exactly the bike trip my son (34) and I (66) plan to take so would be grateful for any detailed information! Thanks!
A number of people have done routes like that - @calamarichris posted a fairly detailed post on his route from SB to CBad (last year? Two years ago? It had credit card tour in the title if that makes searching easier.)

I rode from SLO to LA last fall with @tunavic... started in SLO at about 1pm on a Sunday, and overnighted in Lompoc, Ventura, PV and then home.

The only really crappy parts of the route from SB to SD are from Malibu to Santa Monica and then again when you have to slog across Long Beach.

Feel free to gin up a route and post it for feedback.
Old 10-28-19, 10:55 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by stevengvandyk
https://www.bikeforums.net/southern-...san-diego.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/southern-...apr-1-3-a.html

Last edited by tunavic; 10-28-19 at 10:57 PM. Reason: added another link
Old 09-19-21, 08:54 PM
alovell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
biking to San Diego

Originally Posted by calamarichris
Why don't you post it in here? This thread has whet my appetite for a train ride north on a 3-day weekend and I'd like to hear more insights too. (Just because I've ridden those stretches doesn't mean I know ALL of the best routes.)
Hey there,

We are flying to So Cal from Oregon to bike from SB to SD and was wondering if you had any suggestions of bike shops in SD/La Jolla area that you would suggest we could take our bikes to repackage and send back home. Any suggestions for good hiker/biker spots to camp in Oxnard/Ventura?

Cr@zynluvwbikes
Old 09-21-21, 07:51 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.uccyclery.com/

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.