Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton: How can I widen the rear wheels to stop the bike falling over?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 05:46 AM
chmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Brompton spends a lot of time with the back wheel flipped under the frame. I have the rear rack. It's not very stable in this position. I noticed that one of the rear wheels on the rack (rear when the bike is riding) is fitted on the inside of the rack. I swapped it to the outside, to make the wheels a little wider.

I'd like to make that set of wheels even wider. Maybe an extra 10cm at each side. Width at the back of the rear rack won't interfere with my feet when pedalling, and could make the bike very stable when standing. But I can't find anything on the internet about making this modification. I've searched a few times over a year or so.

Any advice? Anyone else tried this? Is it obviously a stupid idea for a reason that I've failed to grasp? :-)
Old 04-15-18, 06:16 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by chmac
My Brompton spends a lot of time with the back wheel flipped under the frame. I have the rear rack. It's not very stable in this position. I noticed that one of the rear wheels on the rack (rear when the bike is riding) is fitted on the inside of the rack. I swapped it to the outside, to make the wheels a little wider.

I'd like to make that set of wheels even wider. Maybe an extra 10cm at each side. Width at the back of the rear rack won't interfere with my feet when pedalling, and could make the bike very stable when standing. But I can't find anything on the internet about making this modification. I've searched a few times over a year or so.

Any advice? Anyone else tried this? Is it obviously a stupid idea for a reason that I've failed to grasp? :-)
10cm or 10mm? 10cm sounds like a Brompton fatbike or water bike. Below's a Brompton with thicker wheels and tyres by the looks of it.

Old 04-15-18, 08:08 AM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Make sure the wheels are on the outside of the rack..I have seen some where they are fitted on the inside of the rack on the supporting members that stick out from the rack..You could simply put a longer bolt on the right hand of the rear rack ..say half an inch longer and fix the wheel on there..The Brompton tends to fall over on that side with a rack because it is a bit lopsided when folded..This doesn't tend to happen when there is no rack fitted..

Last edited by tudorowen1; 04-15-18 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-15-18, 08:12 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
The left rear rack wheel is fitted on the inside of the rack to keep its depth dimension shallower, and perhaps to protect the wheel - for example when folded and lying on its side. If you don't mind an increase in the depth dimension, then sure you can flip the wheel to the outside to match right rear wheel. You could also use longer bolts and spacers on both sides to widen the track.

There's also the X-roller mod for front wheels, but only increases track on the right side, and was really only intended for stability during shopping cart mode, and parked while folded. It will still fall over in one direction in kickstand mode.
Old 04-15-18, 08:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
After market, made for B's in Asia, (not By the company in UK), there es a piece replacing the 2 rear frame wheels ,

and one wheel pulls out wider temporarily ,on a telescoping shaft.. making it wider..
Old 04-16-18, 10:19 AM
BillN33

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
After market, made for B's in Asia, (not By the company in UK), there es a piece replacing the 2 rear frame wheels ,

and one wheel pulls out wider temporarily ,on a telescoping shaft.. making it wider..
not cheap - about £65 plus the cost of wheels - made in the Far East, so add carriage, (sometimes) and if you are unlucky import duties

I'm trying to find a good lightweight kickstand - but all stuff for Brompton's is not cheap and the best I can find is £65

Multiply UK £'s x 1.5 = US $'s approximately
Old 04-17-18, 05:06 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BillN33
not cheap - about £65 plus the cost of wheels - made in the Far East, so add carriage, (sometimes) and if you are unlucky import duties

I'm trying to find a good lightweight kickstand - but all stuff for Brompton's is not cheap and the best I can find is £65

Multiply UK £'s x 1.5 = US $'s approximately
Did you look at the different forums to see if anybody did a DIY solution to the problem?
Old 04-17-18, 05:09 AM
BillN33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
Did you look at the different forums to see if anybody did a DIY solution to the problem?
Yep I have, not only for a rack but also for a good, lightweight kickstand

but you don't want to put anything "cheap looking" on a Brompton!!

The Brompton rack seem the best value out there at £80

Last edited by BillN33; 04-17-18 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-17-18, 05:29 AM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep I have, not only for a rack but also for a good, lightweight kickstand

but you don't want to put anything "cheap looking" on a Brompton!!

The Brompton rack seem the best value out there at £80
For sure

I am in the process of buying a rack myself but I am thinking about getting a after market one that somebody here has used for some time.

There has been some talk about the "no rack no fender" B`s (are they called E?) falling over and some gadget to put between the hook and the rear stay to lift the front axel a bit up when folded. Not sure if this makes a difference with the bikes with rack and fender. You could look into it, like cutting open a 1" piece of the rubberhose used in car cooling systems or similar and hook it over the stay under the hook. If it works better than without you could make or buy something less crappy looking for long term use. I think I remember you can buy a "fatter" plastic hook or a plastic or alu piece to atatch to the rear stay. Not super expensive the last time i looked.
Old 04-17-18, 05:53 AM
BillN33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For sure

I am in the process of buying a rack myself but I am thinking about getting a after market one that somebody here has used for some time.

There has been some talk about the "no rack no fender" B`s (are they called E?) falling over and some gadget to put between the hook and the rear stay to lift the front axel a bit up when folded. Not sure if this makes a difference with the bikes with rack and fender. You could look into it, like cutting open a 1" piece of the rubberhose used in car cooling systems or similar and hook it over the stay under the hook. If it works better than without you could make or buy something less crappy looking for long term use. I think I remember you can buy a "fatter" plastic hook or a plastic or alu piece to atatch to the rear stay. Not super expensive the last time i looked.
I'm not a fan of always flipping the rear wheel under ...... so I have been looking for a lightweight kickstand - there are 2 specific "for" Brompton ones available - one at £65 and the other at £100+...... both ex Singapore/Taiwan

I keep searching Ebay for a kickstand for a 16" Bike - lightweight and fixing to the drop out - but I have not found a suitable one...... kickstands on eBay are cheap, (under £10), but it is finding the right one

There is a rack on Ebay at the moment - made in the Far East - no fender needed - but it is still approaching £90 once you add wheels and more if you add 4 wheels

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BROMPTON-...53.m1438.l2649

Last edited by BillN33; 04-17-18 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-17-18, 07:30 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts

Greenfield rear mount kickstand is superior to the lighter kickstands for stability. However, there is an interference with the stock pump. I changed pumps to a lezyne stored in the seatpost.

Last edited by Schwinnsta; 04-17-18 at 07:31 AM. Reason: format
Old 04-17-18, 08:30 AM
BillN33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta

Greenfield rear mount kickstand is superior to the lighter kickstands for stability. However, there is an interference with the stock pump. I changed pumps to a lezyne stored in the seatpost.
Greenfield rear mount kickstand is superior to the lighter kickstands for stability. However, there is an interference with the stock pump. I changed pumps to a lezyne stored in the seatpost.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I saw that - I think that there are sometimes available on eBay in the UK - but as you say there is the pump problem and it's not the most attractive

This is the one that is sometimes on eBay in the UK - the seller must import them - £65 - made in Japan

Old 04-17-18, 08:55 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

These are less stable. You are better off kicking the wheel under and buying the Greenfield and the Lezyne pump both is less money. You end up with a better kickstand and better pump but some additional weight. The kickstand weighs twice as much.

Thanks I saw that - I think that there are sometimes available on eBay in the UK - but as you say there is the pump problem and it's not the most attractive

This is the one that is sometimes on eBay in the UK - the seller must import them - £65 - made in Japan

[/QUOTE]
Old 04-17-18, 11:20 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I keep searching Ebay for a kickstand for a 16" Bike - lightweight and fixing to the drop out - but I have not found a suitable one...... kickstands on eBay are cheap, (under £10), but it is finding the right one
This is my Brompton with a cheap on-axle Evo kickstand for 16" off Ebay

I have since moved on to expensive ones, but this one worked fine as long as you did not overload the front bag. I tried some that mounted on the chainstay but it was difficult to prevent them from rotating around the round chainstay and I gave up.
Old 04-22-18, 06:39 AM
chmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the replies folks. I hadn't properly configured email notifications, so only saw the messages today.

@Bonzo Banana: Great pic! I was thinking about extending just the little roller wheel by 10cm horizontally. Now you've got me thinking about an amphibious

@tudorowen1: Good suggestion. I have the wheel on the outside. Longer bolt may well be the simplest solution.

@reppans: I realised after posting the thread, that the wheel is probably on the inside to reduce the folded size of the bike. If I put a fixed extension on that side, the bike will always be 10cm wider. Hmm. Not ideal.

@fietsbob: Awesome, an aftermarket telescopic bolt sounds like it might be the perfect option! Thanks. Is it the one on aliexpress from shouthoutai you were thinking about? (I can't post the URL as I'm a new user on this forum!) Definitely interesting. Import duties are a nightmare in Germany, but maybe worth the headache. Will investigate.

Wow, lots of interesting brompton options on aliexpress. Guess I'm gonna spend a few evenings trawling around there looking at upgrade options! :-)
Old 04-23-18, 01:47 AM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

@fietsbob: Awesome, an aftermarket telescopic bolt sounds like it might be the perfect option! Thanks. Is it the one on aliexpress from shouthoutai you were thinking about? (I can't post the URL as I'm a new user on this forum!) Definitely interesting. Import duties are a nightmare in Germany, but maybe worth the headache. Will investigate.

Wow, lots of interesting brompton options on aliexpress. Guess I'm gonna spend a few evenings trawling around there looking at upgrade options! :-)
Take some time to investigate. Sometimes it can be cheaper to buy an item from a local seller instead of importing yourself. Also you do not have to wait 9 months to get your new toy

We have the import duties where I am too and then you have to pay a fee to be allowed to pay the tax...

Brompton is "big" in Germany and in EU so I am sure it can be possible to find locally.

Also look into the solutions for the E brompton I posted about in a different thread. I think I got your thread and another posters thread mixed up when I posted about this solution. I did not try it myself but it is about lifting the hook on the front axel up a bit when folded to get a better weight distribution on the bike- it is leaning less to one side. You can try it by just making up some cheap piece for testing and then buy if you like the solution.

Folding Hook Pillow for E-type Brompton - Brombacher
Old 04-23-18, 09:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Thats a trade off, Health Care costs are a life threatening nightmare in the US, you get that for a better deal in Germany..
Old 04-23-18, 10:52 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
This is the same thing as the X-roller mod which I own and mentioned in post #4. Again, it's awesome for shopping cart mode and folded stability, but it's pricey as a kickstand solution and only solves half the problem (which frankly can be solved free with a longer wheel bolt on the right-side rack wheel, which doesn't impact the fold). In kickstand mode, the telescopic axle mod will still easily fall over on the left side - and that's the less stable side where the rack wheel is mounted on the inside of the rack.

Also look into the solutions for the E brompton I posted about in a different thread. I think I got your thread and another posters thread mixed up when I posted about this solution. I did not try it myself but it is about lifting the hook on the front axel up a bit when folded to get a better weight distribution on the bike- it is leaning less to one side. You can try it by just making up some cheap piece for testing and then buy if you like the solution.

Folding Hook Pillow for E-type Brompton - Brombacher
This hook pillow is also for rolling while folded, and parked while folded and has no effect in kickstand mode.
Old 04-23-18, 01:05 PM
chmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@badmother: Hahaha, a fee to pay the tax! I once spent ~4h picking up a package at customs here in Berlin. I swore never again! If I understood correctly, the folding hook pillow only applies when the front wheel is folded back. I'm trying to get the bike to be more stable when it's in "kick stand" mode, so I don't think it would apply to my situation.

@reppans: Gotcha. The telescopic bolt is indeed on the wrong side. Good point. Indeed my bike falls over to the left side, no the right. I was assuming I could mount the telescopic side of the bolt on the left, but that might not be possible. I'll do some more digging. Thanks.

Update: Hmm, seems the telescopic x-mod could be mounted in either direction. However, it ends up at the back of the bike in kickstand mode, which will have less of a stability upgrade. Then it ends up in the path of my feet when the bike is unfolded. So I would need to pull it out and put it back in every single time I stop.

I was hoping for something that would extend at the back of the rack. Then it would be out of the way while riding. I would only need to disable it in when the bike is fully folded. A longer bolt might work, just it wouldn't be possible to disable.

Thanks for all the feedback. My search continues... :-)

Last edited by chmac; 04-23-18 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 04-24-18, 03:31 PM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
...kickstand...

That's a lot for a kickstand. The German Brompton importer sells one - it is 26€ and available from any Brompton dealer in Germany for around 26€. In fact it is a Humpert X-act Lilliput that can be bought on Amazon for 10€. I do not know if there's any difference to the version of the importer but would not expect so. Did not try this kickstand myself as I do not have the need.
Old 04-24-18, 03:40 PM
BillN33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut
That's a lot for a kickstand. The German Brompton importer sells one - it is 26€ and available from any Brompton dealer in Germany for around 26€. In fact it is a Humpert X-act Lilliput that can be bought on Amazon for 10€. I do not know if there's any difference to the version of the importer but would not expect so. Did not try this kickstand myself as I do not have the need.
well I suppose that you can then buy another pump, (die Luftpumpe), and strap it on the Bike somewhere ......... that's if you need a pump ...... I always like to carry one just in case
Old 04-24-18, 07:17 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut
The German Brompton importer sells one - it is 26€ and available from any Brompton dealer in Germany for around 26€. In fact it is a Humpert X-act Lilliput that can be bought on Amazon for 10€. I do not know if there's any difference to the version of the importer but would not expect so. Did not try this kickstand myself as I do not have the need.
I've got myself a double-legged Humpert kickstand for a regular bike. Upon trying it out I decided that it was a product level I did not want on my bike. Clumsy, overbuilt but still wobbly - just a warning that things might not be rosy in close-up.
Old 04-24-18, 07:56 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Greenfield kickstand is more stable and not expensive. It uses similar design to Humpert. $17 shippedhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/KICKSTAND-GREENFIELD-SKS2B-285mm-REAR-MOUNT-BLK/352050867486?epid=2255361342&hash=item51f7dded1e:g8sAAOSwI8laAenw

This type of stand is more stable because its leg stands out further away the smaller ones. Two downsides. One, twice as heavy as Minoura. Two, you will need to find another way to hold your pump. I you a Leyzrne in seat tube.