Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Vintage Italian Made Folding Bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 02-08-19, 10:18 AM
MoeStoner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does Anyone Have A Bike Like This??
Please contact me.
Sorry the site would not allow me to post a URL Picture Of the Bike, I could EMail You a Picture.

Below is what I have Found out from a Ebay Member that deals in these bikes In Italy Hello, the Graziella is the oldest and most famous Italian bike. To date it is no longer produced under the name of Graziella, but some brands have changed their names and produce it in a similar way (Fiorella for example).
You have a really amazing bike in hand, which today is also true in the United States. Here are a few lines that explain better than what we are talking about:

La Graziella was a folding bicycle designed by Rinaldo Donzelli and produced starting in 1964 from the Teodoro Carnielli factory in Vittorio Veneto named Bottecchia [1].
It became very popular in Italy, placing itself among the icons of the made in Italy of the sixties. The marketing of Graziella, advertised as "the Rolls-Royce of Brigitte Bardot", contributed decisively to revolutionize the common perception of the bicycle, which until the fifties was considered only as sports equipment or as a means of "poor" transport, and which in the years of the economic boom became instead a status symbol of the new wealthy youth. It was structured without horizontal barrel, with central zip, small wheels, removable saddle and handlebars.
In 1971 it underwent a restyling in which the diameter of the wheels was increased and details such as the matching roof rack were added.

Graziella was produced until the late eighties. The original models are collectors and modernists.

In the picture, my collectible graziellaYour previous messageWhat is the Italian definition of the word (GRAZIELLA) the reason I ask is that I bought one of this bikes from an Older Couple and the wife said her parents brought this bike to the USA when they immigrated from. Can you help identify what this bike is. Thanks

Last edited by cb400bill; 02-08-19 at 06:39 PM. Reason: No selling in regular forum.
Old 02-09-19, 12:32 AM
dorkypants

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
What is the Italian definition of the word (GRAZIELLA)
Graziella is a girl's/woman's name. From babynames.com: The meaning of the name Graziella is Lovely And With Grace
Old 02-09-19, 06:52 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
Here's a Catalog Page from 1978. It came from here: Folding Bikes - The Folding Cyclist. More specifically, there is a history on the brand. Graziella folding bike

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 02-09-19 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-16-19, 12:04 PM
dolomoto

Bikes: Flat bar commuter, Ti roadie, BF Pocket Rocket

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw one of these just today here in Vicenza. It was a yellow model and well used. I took a few moment to admire it's features...looks to fold quickly and into a tidy package. I really liked the integrated and sturdy rear rack. Would post a pic but my post count is too low.
Old 02-16-19, 12:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
@MoeStoner's album:
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/494468
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/12767653

Old 02-18-19, 05:08 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
That silver model looks just like a Chiorda folder we got stuck way in the back of my friends LBS.
Old 02-18-19, 06:09 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
They are great bikes for older folks to start riding again because of the coaster brakes and low stand over. I find them for about $25. Of course on ebay they have "vintage" prices like $300
Old 02-19-19, 05:22 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Well I asked the owner of the LBS what he was going to do with the folder and he said”give it to you”

i will be bring it back to the house when I figure out how to transport it. Tires do not look up for the trip. It is a Cinzia elite model and all complete. Surprisingly, when I lifted it from its resting place, it was quite lite.

I will I’ll start a separate thread on it.
Old 02-20-19, 07:16 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
At the Westminster, MD swap meet last weekend I sold off a Yugoslavian folder that was the identical design (those bikes seem to all be identical and somewhere between the mid-70's and early 80's). Originally I had built it for my wife to give us a pair of bikes to ride around St. Augustine, FL for our honeymoon four years ago (I was riding a Raleigh Twenty that I still have). To give her a bit extra, I built a new rear wheel around a Sturmei-Archer two speed kick-back hub.

For the ten days in St. Augustine, the bike proved to be quite functional. Biggest weakness of the design is the hinge: With the nut tightened down to the point that you've got the ability to release it by hand and easily fold it, you're going to get some flex in the frame. Which can be disconcerting at first, and a constant reminder that this isn't a bike where you stomp on the pedals and accelerate away. The flex can be done away with by adding a wrench to the nut and tightening it down more, but at that point you can no longer release the lever by simple hand pressure.

Not a great bike (I've done fifty mile rides on Raleigh Twenties, wouldn't consider it for one of these), but it does work within the constraints of the design. Say, a two mile ride from the train station to your office, etc. No, they're not worth much money. I got $50.00 for mine, and it was in mint, rideable, put it in the trunk of your car and use it for commuting Monday morning condition. Plus the two speed conversion. But they work. The realization that everyone you find is somewhere between 30-45 years old says that the design is obsolete, and has been improved up by everyone from a first generation Dahon up.

Worth keeping though, assuming you haven't had to pay much for it.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-20-19, 01:40 PM
Bholio

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
We had an orange one, purchased by my father in the 1970's. It was sold by a store called 'Alexanders' and the name of the bike was 'Alexfold'. It was made in Italy, the quick releases on the seat and handlebars said something like "Brevetto??' or something. We gave it away around 2005. I'd like to think it is still being used somewhere in SW Florida.

Everyone who rode the bike loved it. For some reason, it had the right gear ratio and ride quality for the flat area in which it was ridden. Always an easy ride. Always comfortable. I sometimes rode with the hinge open, like a swing-bike.

It had some quirks. It came with 1 black tire and 1 white tire. The stem, handlebars **AND** brake levers were one piece. The brake levers were welded to the handlebar. My father cut one off with a hacksaw to replace it. It was a single speed, freewheel, with dual handbrakes and no coaster brake. The chainguard wrapped quite far around the front chainrings, but did not cover the whole chain. Was larger folded than unfolded.
Old 02-23-19, 11:11 AM
Bholio

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I almost forgot. You can get a similar style folder brand new, from Worksman.
https://www.worksmancycles.com/fmb.html

The older version of the worksman folder is a bit more curvy, like the Italian one.
Old 08-14-19, 10:04 AM
leib9999

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send me a picture

Send me a picture.

Leib9999@gmail.com

Phil

----------

QUOTE=MoeStoner;20785069]Does Anyone Have A Bike Like This??
Please contact me.
Sorry the site would not allow me to post a URL Picture Of the Bike, I could EMail You a Picture.

Below is what I have Found out from a Ebay Member that deals in these bikes In Italy Hello, the Graziella is the oldest and most famous Italian bike. To date it is no longer produced under the name of Graziella, but some brands have changed their names and produce it in a similar way (Fiorella for example).
You have a really amazing bike in hand, which today is also true in the United States. Here are a few lines that explain better than what we are talking about:

La Graziella was a folding bicycle designed by Rinaldo Donzelli and produced starting in 1964 from the Teodoro Carnielli factory in Vittorio Veneto named Bottecchia [1].
It became very popular in Italy, placing itself among the icons of the made in Italy of the sixties. The marketing of Graziella, advertised as "the Rolls-Royce of Brigitte Bardot", contributed decisively to revolutionize the common perception of the bicycle, which until the fifties was considered only as sports equipment or as a means of "poor" transport, and which in the years of the economic boom became instead a status symbol of the new wealthy youth. It was structured without horizontal barrel, with central zip, small wheels, removable saddle and handlebars.
In 1971 it underwent a restyling in which the diameter of the wheels was increased and details such as the matching roof rack were added.

Graziella was produced until the late eighties. The original models are collectors and modernists.

In the picture, my collectible graziellaYour previous messageWhat is the Italian definition of the word (GRAZIELLA) the reason I ask is that I bought one of this bikes from an Older Couple and the wife said her parents brought this bike to the USA when they immigrated from. Can you help identify what this bike is. Thanks[/QUOTE]
Old 02-28-20, 03:17 AM
Gardenburn
Satanic Mechanic

Bikes: Cross-muter, Soma Saga, Fat Bike, Gravel Gobbler, vintage Italian folder, '84 Trek 500 for sale

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have one vintage Italian folder in Chicago. Mostly original parts! Wheels have been changed, the headlamp broke some years ago. I have rewired it with a neat Danish magnetic lighting system. It's my neighborhood grocery-getter! Such a delightful lil ride!
Likes For Gardenburn:
Old 08-04-21, 11:30 AM
cantom

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I just picked up this Carnielli Bottecchia folder here in Canada. Saw it on Facebook Marketplace for a reasonable sum. Since I ride a Bottecchia Special and since I have a 13 year old daughter...thought it might be fun to ride with her on Bottecchias. And it is...she's taken to the new bike. Problem is I can't keep up with her.

This one is really original and untouched. Paint is near perfect, Decals are near perfect. Sadly chrome has been neglected and it's a bit pitted/rusty on fenders and wheels.
It still has all the complete chain covers etc which I think cool.

On Italian Amazon and Italian Ebay, I see lots of new Inox fenders, tires, LED Headlights, etc etc for very reasonable prices. But, they don't ship here.
And, if they do, it's extremely expensive. Any suggestions?
Likes For cantom:
Old 08-05-21, 05:35 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by cantom

On Italian Amazon and Italian Ebay, I see lots of new Inox fenders, tires, LED Headlights, etc etc for very reasonable prices. But, they don't ship here.
Find someone who is going to Italy and actually understands enough about what you want?

Sometimes you can find a whole bunch of stuff from one seller, so they might do a deal on shipping. Fenders are bulky, and a lot can be packed in with them.

However, you can usually get something to fit locally to wherever you are (locally, as not in another country), especially in the way of fenders, tires and lighting.
Old 08-05-21, 09:10 AM
cantom

I made a major effort to post pics with my above post. Spent over an hour and no matter what I tried (hosting on IMGUR and uploading to the forum) the forum would not let me do it. Not entirely sure why that rather inflexible rule exists but what can you do.
Old 08-05-21, 09:12 AM
cantom

Can anyone tell me...when you upload the pics to the forum, it allows 10 only. I mistakenly did 12. So it wouldn't let me post...I tried and tried to delete the excess but can see no way of doing so.
Is there a way?

Also, kept getting the warning that you have to have 10 posts before you can post pics, although it let me upload them.
Old 08-05-21, 09:32 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
I used agents when buying in Japan and China. I suppose such services must exist for other countries. In my case the extra costs were making sense when the base purchase price was $50+. I also had friends agree to accumulate my purchases and then ship them to me in bulk.
Old 08-06-21, 05:42 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Can anyone tell me...when you upload the pics to the forum, it allows 10 only. I mistakenly did 12. So it wouldn't let me post...I tried and tried to delete the excess but can see no way of doing so.
Is there a way?

Also, kept getting the warning that you have to have 10 posts before you can post pics, although it let me upload them.
Heed the warning - go post comments on other people's threads until your post count is 10 or more, it is anyway a great way of getting people to come and check your thread. As to posting 12 pictures you must ask yourself - who is going to be interested enough to see that many at once? It is much better to select a few, write something relevant about them, and then a few days later upload some more.
Old 08-13-21, 08:09 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
I've had a few, great bikes. I snap them up and re-home them. Great for us older folk with their low step-over height.

Had a couple of them. Bought these for $25 each. One went to a college student other went to a 70 yo friend who was getting back to cycling.
Likes For mirfi:
Old 08-14-21, 12:44 AM
cantom

Wow...$25 each? That worthless eh?
Old 08-14-21, 01:10 AM
cantom

Now over 10 posts! Here goes nothing.

Likes For cantom:
Old 08-14-21, 01:14 AM
cantom

It was brought in by Bloor Cycle. Not surprisingly.

Likes For cantom:
Old 08-14-21, 01:27 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Now over 10 posts! Here goes nothing.

It was brought in by Bloor Cycle. Not surprisingly.
She's absolutely beautiful!!!
Old 08-14-21, 02:27 PM
cantom

I saw it on Facebook Marketplace for $170 CAD. I just about sprained my fingers saying I'd take it!
Likes For cantom:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.