Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about Leg Shaving

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Question about Leg Shaving

Old 07-15-21, 07:35 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
In absolute terms, yes. Proportionally, no. If you're doing time trials and racing, you'll probably notice it. Other kinds of riding, probably not.

I really think some of this is coming down to how much leg hair you actually have, that .02 figure is an average of some sample. My leg hair is naturally very short and a bit sparse, I honestly don't think I'd see much difference if they were completely smooth.
Who notices what isn't measured. OP seems to be more of a racer-type. Most recreational riders don't notice how slow they are on Gators. Aerodynamics are everything for a racer.

If I am doing a TT, why would I care about the proportional advantages to a 50 minute racer. I only care about my modest TT result and improving my result, the simple fact is most riders mistakenly think aerodynamic benefits only make a difference when riding fast when in fact, the benefit is greater to them because they are out there longer.
Old 07-15-21, 07:37 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
I don't shave mine because the wife would think I was living life on the down low. She's ok with a little manscaping here and there, but that's about it. I also make sure I don't carry any hanky's or bandanas sticking out of my back pockets for others to see.

Last edited by seypat; 07-15-21 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-15-21, 07:39 AM
GhostRider62

Just once, I'd like to see this argument be based on figures that don't come from someone who was trying to sell a product.
Would you believe my calculations?

This is really simple math. Like 8th grade. Honestly

Here is a calculator to play around with....

https://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html
Old 07-15-21, 07:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Who notices what isn't measured. OP seems to be more of a racer-type. Most recreational riders don't notice how slow they are on Gators. Aerodynamics are everything for a racer.

If I am doing a TT, why would I care about the proportional advantages to a 50 minute racer. I only care about my modest TT result and improving my result, the simple fast most riders mistakenly think aerodynamic benefits only make a difference when riding fast when in fact, the benefit is greater to them because they are out there longer.

I get the reasoning, I think it's dubious. If I'm capping out at 15 mph, it's less likely that it's wind resistance that's holding me back. I have no idea what speed OP is traveling at,

BTW, I think this is usually a bang for the buck argument because the aero versions of things tend to be much more expensive. In this instance, shaving is pretty much free, so even if the benefit is actually small proportionately, it might be worth the time to do it..
Old 07-15-21, 07:53 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Damn. I grew a beard so that I could quit shaving… Now you’re showing me this?
Damn, the beard will have to go and I will have to trim my ear hairs, too!
Old 07-15-21, 07:58 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Take it with a grain of salt. Aerodynamic drag grows as the square of speed. In other words, if you are doing the 40k tt at a high speed, yeah, you might realize some real gains from shaving. At mere mortal speeds, you'll get smaller gains.

For context, this guy set a world record in the 4k Pursuit, and did it without shaving off that 'stache:

A stache of that magnitude obviously makes you much faster. It is very aero and the wind gods recognize awesomeness !!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 07-15-21, 07:59 AM
GhostRider62

I get the reasoning, I think it's dubious. If I'm capping out at 15 mph, it's less likely that it's wind resistance that's holding me back. I have no idea what speed OP is traveling at,

BTW, I think this is usually a bang for the buck argument because the aero versions of things tend to be much more expensive. In this instance, shaving is pretty much free, so even if the benefit is actually small proportionately, it might be worth the time to do it..
Read some of the links or not, you are wrong.

"According to Ballard: “Aerodynamic drag becomes the largest resistance a rider must overcome from 15kph onwards.”"

"“Aero matters even more to amateur riders at modest speeds, because although their speed and drag is less in absolute terms they will save more time because they are slower and on the course longer.”"

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...-weight-316952
Old 07-15-21, 08:00 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Bowie Beattie
do we really talk about shaving here
You bet! It's one of the most hotly contested arguments in road cycling.
It's always amusing when the shavers start quoting pseudo-scientific data to justify their habit (cyclists in general are experts in scientific data). I still feel the shavers simply enjoy shaving their legs and use all kinds of data and anecdotal reasoning to back it up. Seems like a colossal effort to try to gain 1 second of speed (if you believe it improves aerodynamics), or to make it slightly easier to apply sunscreen or to remove dirt. I can understand if you are an exceptionally hairy person that all that hair might be uncomfortable under bibs, so I'll grant that one...but again, if you are that hairy I can't imagine how difficult and time-consuming it would be to shave all the way up to your taint. I shave my chest, so who am I to criticize? I'm not particularly hairy, so it's very easy to do a couple times a week and the wife likes it that way.
Old 07-15-21, 08:07 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I didn't read all the replies cuz it seems like some folks were getting butthurt, so I'll just add my .02

I epilate my legs because I like it. Everything is smooth, it's easy to wipe off grime and since I also mountain bike, easier to clean scrapes and cuts. I like the looks too as my leg hair grows in all weird so removing it all is favorable. Speed? Well I'm not that fast to be worried about that little bit of time.
Likes For cabledawg:
Old 07-15-21, 08:11 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I am not making that point, sitting still isn't very fast.

Think of it this way, you get your biggest bang (time savings for energy output) when the forces are linear against you.

When you are going very fast, it takes a massive effort to go just a little bit faster. The gains are harder and harder to achieve as the speed increases. When you are going slower, it is easier to make improvements resulting in shorter times or alternatively, you can ride just the same speed with lower power levels. If you are going 5 mph, a 10% increase in power will get you 10% increase in speed. At 30 mph, that same 10% increase in power will only yield about 3% increase in speed. Where aero losses really mount depends on the rider/bike combination but it is lower than many assume....maybe 15 mph
That smaller proportional impact of aero gains at higher speeds is precisely because aero drag increases exponentially with speed. Hmm.

I'm gonna go for a ride and try to wrap my head around this.
Old 07-15-21, 08:13 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by bowie beattie
do we really respond to trolls here?

fify
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-15-21, 08:34 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
It's stupid. Don't do it. There is no reason to do it despite what some people here say. Never had a problem applying sunscreen to my hairy legs, or got overly dirty on a ride...and it certainly didn't add one second to any ride. It's nonsense.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-15-21, 08:36 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yep. That is what the OP asked for.
Old 07-15-21, 08:40 AM
Lakerat

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
You shave your ass? Or do you have your manservant do it for you? 😁
If you are seeking a job application, you should probably move it to the commerce section of the forum.
Old 07-15-21, 08:41 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Take it with a grain of salt. Aerodynamic drag grows as the square of speed. In other words, if you are doing the 40k tt at a high speed, yeah, you might realize some real gains from shaving. At mere mortal speeds, you'll get smaller gains.

For context, this guy set a world record in the 4k Pursuit, and did it without shaving off that 'stache:

The same series of Specialized videos that proved there was an aero benefit to shaved legs also proved that there's no aero benefit to shaved facial hair.

Also Ashton and literally every track cyclist shave their legs.

To the OP -- do it or don't do it because you want to. Aero benefits are probably trivial at the amateur level but if you want to do it because it looks and feels good that's perfectly valid, despite what some easily triggered insecure people on this thread seem to believe.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-15-21, 08:45 AM
GhostRider62

That smaller proportional impact of aero gains at higher speeds is precisely because aero drag increases exponentially with speed. Hmm.

I'm gonna go for a ride and try to wrap my head around this.
Conversely, the larger time impact is at slower speeds, which is opposite of what many incorrectly believe.

Who needs a clean chain, it isn't noticeable. Who needs fast tires, it isn't noticeable. Who need tight clothing, it isn't noticeable. Who needs aero wheels, it isn't noticeable. Frame. Helmet. And, shaved legs. Are they all marginal gains? Collectively, no. Individually, some would be difficult to measure but not impossible.

I have to admit the extent of time saving for shaven legs is a bit surprising.

Enjoy your ride, I am waiting for the heat to go out
Old 07-15-21, 08:46 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Yep. That is what the OP asked for.
You're out of your element!

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-15-21, 08:48 AM
pgjackson

Not sure what that means. I'm an avid road cyclist and chose to not shave. My opinion is just as valid as yours.
Old 07-15-21, 09:00 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

​​​​​
Not sure what that means. I'm an avid road cyclist and chose to not shave. My opinion is just as valid as yours.
References to a classic and hilarious movie, the Big Lebowski:

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-15-21, 09:03 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
The same series of Specialized videos that proved there was an aero benefit to shaved legs also proved that there's no aero benefit to shaved facial hair.
Yup, legs churn in the wind, unlike your face, and have a less aerodynamic shape as a whole, so shaving them is much, much more beneficial.

Plus my legs look damn sexy when smooth.
Old 07-15-21, 09:09 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Aero gains are Proportionately greater for slower riders because much smaller gains are applied for longer amounts of time.

They also means less for most slower riders because the gains are so microscopically small. I have heard between 15-18 mph where aero completely dominates weight and tire drag and all that ..... So with my current average being below 15 mph, and the idea that I could save 0.00000000017 seconds over four hours ...... (Note I said "most" slower riders. If you are the exception, I have accepted you. Calm down.)

It's like the "Every microgram matters" debate. Yes, mathematically, every microgram reduction results in less energy needed for every speed but when the gains are too small to measure anywhere outside a laboratory ....... I am not going to shave the inside of my water bottles to lighten them.

Of course, shaving started way before cyclists started testing in wind tunnels ....

You know what's funny (as I watch Stage 18 .... ) it seems most riders don't bother to wear the most aerodynamic sunglasses. And when they climb HC mountains on hot days they open their jerseys. Horrors!!!! The massive aero drag!!!!!!!

I hope they all shave their chests.
Old 07-15-21, 09:15 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
"Are you feeling grungy...punk?"
"Does it have five blades, or six?"
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-15-21, 09:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
And when they climb HC mountains on hot days they open their jerseys. Horrors!!!! The massive aero drag!!!!!!!
It's obviously less of an issue at slower speeds, like when climbing and/or when the need to dissipate heat is greater, but yes, open and unzipped jerseys are a massive aero drag. IIRC, once RChung measured the drag of his partially unzipped jersey, he made a point of no longer partially unzipping his jersey.
Old 07-15-21, 09:22 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Odd to me when amateur's shave. I totally get it with the pros but if you aren't a pro cyclist?? weird
Old 07-15-21, 09:24 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Looking at his stache, he might have another career that requires performing in his birthday suit. He probably shaves his legs for that reason.
****. i want that jersey

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.