Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

1984 Joe McElroy tandem

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

1984 Joe McElroy tandem

Old 08-01-21, 06:57 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 646 Posts
1984 Joe McElroy tandem

First off, I had another thread on this bike about nine years ago. When photobucket went through some changes several years ago, I lost the photos that were in that thread. Anyhow, here's an updated version of that .

I found this tandem on Craigslist a bunch of years ago. At the same time, Elliot Bay Bicycles had another McElroy tandem for sale(smaller and cooler than this one). Long story short, I drove down to Des Moines(WA) and bought it).

Joe McElroy was a Boeing engineer who in his free time, built about 35 bicycle frames during the 1980s). Mr. Freeman(Bob) knows Joe, and was kind enough to put me in contact with him. I exchanged a few emails with Mr. McElroy and he informed me that he built this frame in 1984, and that the original owner lived in the same town as me(at the time of purchase).

About the bike. It has a variety of different parts. Some original to it, and others were either installed later or by me. It's a pretty heavy bike at around forty pounds, and rides on 27" tires.

Rear derailleur: Deore
Front derailleur: 105
Crankset: Specialized
Pedals: Specialized
Brakes: Magura hydraulic
Hubs: Phil Wood
Tires: Pasela 27x1 1/4
Saddles: Brooks Professional
Bars: Control Tech and Specialized
Bag: Acorn

You'll have to excuse the zipties on the hydraulic lines. They were on there when I purchased it. I haven't come up with a more elegant solution yet. Also please look past my dowel and ziptie mount for the saddlebag. Brooks Pros don't have loops, and I'm too lazy(cheap) to buy the clamp on loops.

My son and I have logged about 3,000 miles on it since he was four years old(using a kid stoker kit). For comparison, my wife and have ridden it together a little less, like maybe 50 miles(for good reason..). I have many great memories on this bike, even with several BF members here.

So this week I went through it and got new tires and bar tape, gearing change, as well as a quick polish. I did have to cut down the stoker stem a couple of inches to get the reach sorted for my lanky kid. One note on the tires: These Paselas are replacing some cheaper 27" tires of the same size. The Panaracers are noticeably wider,, and barely clear the rear brakes.

My son and I will be riding it this month at Cino, in Montana. It'll be fun to see some BF members and ride with them as well.

The clearance between the calipers and the 11/4" Paselas is minimal...

Likes For Roger M:
Old 08-03-21, 07:09 AM
jts125

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A beautiful bike! Thanks for posting
Likes For jts125:
Old 08-22-22, 03:30 PM
JackMcElroy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just came across this post while randomly googling. Joe McElroy is my great uncle! I actually have a 1 of 1 road bike frame that he gifted to my uncle in exchange for some roofing work I believe. Great to see some people are still appreciating the frames he built.
Likes For JackMcElroy:
Old 08-22-22, 03:43 PM
Ross200

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Nice Bike!
Likes For Ross200:
Old 08-22-22, 10:01 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Originally Posted by JackMcElroy
Just came across this post while randomly googling. Joe McElroy is my great uncle! I actually have a 1 of 1 road bike frame that he gifted to my uncle in exchange for some roofing work I believe. Great to see some people are still appreciating the frames he built.
Wow! Great to here from another McElroy. Your great uncle built a great bike in this tandem. My thirteen year old son and I rode it on a two day 110 mile ride last summer that was mostly gravel. We have some fantastic memories over the last nine years on this bike.

Thanks for your post.
Old 08-23-22, 01:38 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 318 Posts
Gorgeous fillet brazing, and delectable components -- Magura hydraulics, Simples retrofriction shifters, Specialized flag cranks, Phil hubs... Oooooh.
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 08-23-22, 02:32 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Thanks for all of the compliments. Of all the bikes I have, the greatest memories are on this tandem with my son. Unfortunately, he's fourteen years old now, and nearing the six foot mark. I think our days on the McElroy tandem are done. Hopefully my wife will eventually warm up to being a stoker...

One year ago in Montana. Cino 2021