Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

First SS bike recommendation

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 08:26 AM
netjack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

2017 Surly Steam Roller for $700
or
2021 Wabi Classic for $950?

Does 4130 CroMoly (Surly) vs the Reynolds 725 (Wabi) make such a large difference?

I like both for the relaxed geometry.
Old 08-12-21, 09:24 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
You probably won't notice much ride quality difference in the type of steel used, but I believe the Wabi will be lighter.
The Wabi will only accommodate 32c tires, while the Surly can handle 38s.
I had a Steamroller for years, and really liked it. No personal experience with the Wabi Classic.
Old 08-12-21, 09:40 AM
netjack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I believe its 19 vs 23lbs.
Old 08-12-21, 03:24 PM
brigfacer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say to find what you are looking for specifically on a bike besides the material of the frame. You will find beautiful bikes and lightweight bikes. When I was making this decision, because I also was considering both of these bikes, tire clearance and frame lugs were things I was looking for more than just frame material. It's worth considering what else you want the bike for. Good luck!
Old 08-12-21, 04:00 PM
netjack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks. It's just simple straightforward city riding and casual. No other purpose.
Old 08-12-21, 09:17 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
The 725 chromoly that Wabi uses is very nice and lightweight. I have two Wabi Classics, one of which (my daily ride) I've crashed twice and gotten hit by a car once. So far, it's holding up great. I don't have a Surly Steamroller but I do have a Pack Rat which has not suffered like the Wabi. Both Surly and Wabi make nice bikes. Like brigfacer said, there's more to it than just metal tubing.

Some things to consider, and by no means a comprehensive list:
1) Do you have to carry your bike a lot? (I live on the top floor of 6 floor walk-up, the lighter weight of the Wabi is appreciated)
2) What parts might you upgrade? (saddle and wheels are two things many people immediately upgrade. Wabi wheels are considerably nicer than most stock wheels though I have no issues with the stock Surly). In this trajectory, upgrades cost money. What's your budget, all said and done?
3) How much tire clearance do you need?, as mentioned by Rolla. If you're riding year round (location depending), can you fit skinnier tires in nice weather and wide tires when it starts to get gross? Will you need fenders, thus decreasing your tire clearance slightly?
4) Which bike has more of the other features you might be looking for? To repeat a few that were mentioned: do you want a lugged frame? Bottle mounts, etc?
5) Given the supply shortages, what's available? Conversely, how long are you willing to wait for a particular bike?
6) Ultimately, which bike will make you want to go out and ride it?

Steamrollers are a classic and very popular choice. If you can test ride either the Steamroller or a Wabi, definitely do so.

IMO, I'd say buy the Steamroller. You can use the money you saved to swap/upgrade parts in the future. Eventually, those parts can be transferred to an even nicer frame later on when you have a clearer idea of exactly what you want.
Old 08-14-21, 02:13 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The Wabi isn't "relaxed" geometry. It's a regular road geometry except for the taller BB height that single speeds have. I'm baffled when someone makes a bike with one set of bottle cage bosses on the seat tube instead of the downtube like the Surly. I mean if you put it on the downtube it's easier to grab and you can mount a frame pump on the seat tube vintage style. Just doesn't look right to me either. I'd get the Surly only if you're into the big tire fad and want something bigger than 28mm and/or want mudguards.
Likes For Lazyass: