Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

raising lugs pictures

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

raising lugs pictures

Old 08-19-21, 12:37 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
raising lugs pictures

Here are some pictures to illustrate how much the lugs were reduced by their buffing machine.
I used "NOW" silver spray paint to protect against rust. You can also use it to see imperfections better. It comes off super easy with one swipe with a towel with lacquer thinner.

Old 08-19-21, 02:03 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
Those lugs look pretty good! When Americans started to build frames after the bike boom of 1970/71, it became expected that lugs would be thin. That was the result of a lot of extra filing. There were a couple of reasons for this new standard. Albert Eisentrout (the father of modern American frame builders) thinned his lugs so they look more refined. Most of us followed that example that was showcased and made popular in pictures of his work in bicycling magazines. And finely filed lugs (among other details) showed potential customers that we took more care than the more casually and quickly built European frames.

If that was my frame I would not be bothered at all by the thinness. In fact I would have probably taken my files to the original thick lugs and reworked them quite a bit. Unthinned lugs look crude to me. Your lugs can still be improved a bit with some more filing but in my opinion they are not ruined. In fact they look more like I would like them to look. I'll say it again, frames go through stages of life just like people and they change as they age. I like the improved look of thinned lugs and I hope you will eventually like the new look too. If you send it off to be painted by Jeff Bock, he can do the finish filing and polishing and the paint he will put on it will also look a lot nicer than it originally did.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 08-19-21, 02:35 PM
tuz

Bikes: Eight homemade, three very dusty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I agree that these don't look too bad. The edges are likely rounded, maybe you can file/thin them a bit more to bring a crisper 90deg edge on the shorelines?
Old 08-19-21, 03:05 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
That doesn't look as bad as i thought. The real crime is the seat stay/seat lug join.
Old 08-19-21, 05:48 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
With some careful filing and sanding the lugs could loose some of their roundiness. The shore line would still be rather thin but the top surface could be less curved as it descends to the edges. This is one of the jugements that makes building or restoring so much fun. With a reductive process we use (after the torch work) how much more to remove to make the lines and surfaces look just so is preference. I agree with others that these lugs don't look as bad as I had expected. Kind of like a too thick paint job. Andy
Old 08-19-21, 06:16 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
Agree with the others. Dress things up and move forward. What's done is done, and that frame isn't butchered to the point of requiring drastic remediation.
Old 08-20-21, 11:46 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
If you are planning on building up the lugs, it likely just means squaring up the corners a bit rather than scabbing more metal on top of the whole lug.

But, then smoothing and reshaping will be a fair amount of work.

If you do want to do it, see if you can replicate the rounded corners of the lugs on a practice frame, or joint and then try building up and reshaping, then painting and see how you like it.

It sounds like a lot of work for something that few people would notice.
Old 08-20-21, 02:09 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
I think you would be surprised at how much better your lugs can look after a skilled filer has worked on them. For example just this week one of my framebuilding class students was filing his lugs on the frame he had made. He had done a reasonably good but not perfect job and was a little discouraged. It wasn't long after I showed him some more tricks and he looks at what I had done to his frame and was suddenly very happy. In addition to filing the tops of the lugs, Riffler files can work on the shoreline and edges. Besides straightening out some of the the waviness it has now, it will thicken the edges just a little too (because that will remove a tiny bit of the edge).

The problem is that a normal person can only see what it is now. As a filer I can look at it and see what it can look like. My recommendation is to send it to Jeff Bock who does amazing lug work as well as painting and you will be more than pleased. This isn't a job for just any frame builder. Not all of them take the time or have the skill to be master filers.
Old 08-20-21, 03:08 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

My filing skills are fine. I have already lessened the "dips" going into the holes.
Obstacles I am faced with; A) The down tube lug, going under the down tube; there is only about .5mm of "shoreline" ledge left of the lug or less. It looks really bad. B) The seat lug chin is pretty much gone. I am definitely am going to add on to restore it. If you look at the seat lug, you will see that the top flat ledge (in the front) is missing. (thinner) I do have skills, I am resourceful. Back in the day I built 23 tandem frames and I don't know how many road frames. When I fix this frame, I might post "fixed" pics. The brake bridge tangs look bad. I might do something about them (too).
Old 08-20-21, 03:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Unrelated to the topic but now I am curious as to the OP's history. Andy
Old 08-20-21, 06:30 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

OPs history:

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

First has to do with the (what was a yellow with full chrome rear end and forks) Cinelli. I bought it in 1976, when I was 15 yrs old. (unbeknown to me Greg Lemond's father bought Greg a similar Cinelli in January of 1976. (with less chrome)
I raced 1977, 78 & 79, as a junior in Nor-Cal on that Cinelli. I am pictured racing on the Cinelli and am on the poster for the '78 Nevada City Classic, a race I did with 20,000 spectators. I went to welding school in 1980. I continued to race on the Cinelli as a Senior 1-2 pro through '85. After that, I got into touring. I ended up doing the California coast, and sierras and in '86, toured (fully loaded) out to Atlanta GA on it.
In 1990, I moved to San Diego and by '92, after working at other bike shops, I opened up my first bike shop. I found out that we loved tandeming. My wife and I are short and after some unhappy tandem purchases, in 1999, I decided to buy some tubes and build one. It turned out decent. I enjoyed building so much, I built more. We put in our yellow page add that we carried and built tandems. Before you knew, I had my hands full. Eventually, A had a request for coupler bikes, tandems. At some point, I started building with aluminum and came up with an S&S coupler alternative, that also works with aluminum and patented it. I ended up breaking my feet pretty well in '06 and eventually invented the Walking Aid Scooter or Walk Aid Scooter, for short. Anyways that is about me in a nutshell.
Likes For headwind15:
Old 08-22-21, 04:53 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
I had to go look at my Cinelli, looked a bit Windsor to me.
still looks off, but mine also has the top tang of the seat lug that drifts to one side.
These were not that perfect way back, was before investment cast fittings.

I would run with what it is.

if you want to create a better version, make a replica. Like what Rob Roberson did for Richard B of Speedplay of his Masi Special.