Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Giant PakAway? comparing with expressway 1/2 or Tern?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 09-01-21, 12:04 AM
Hungerford

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Giant had a new folding bike named PakAway. Does anyone have experience or suggestions about it? How does it compare with Giant expressway 1/2 or Tern series, e.g., A7 (my budget is below 900, hence not high-level Tern)? Thanks
Old 09-01-21, 11:15 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Hungerford
I saw Giant had a new folding bike named PakAway. Does anyone have experience or suggestions about it? How does it compare with Giant expressway 1/2 or Tern series, e.g., A7 (my budget is below 900, hence not high-level Tern)? Thanks
Check the bikes here, esp 8 sp IGH, belt drive @ 999
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...16-2021-a.html
Old 09-04-21, 01:25 AM
un.passant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts
As the previous poster said, I would advise to check Downtube bikes. While I bought my Downtube bike much too recently to actually review it, I would be very surprised if you did not find a better bang for the buck in your price range with Downtube bikes, especially with the current sale (if it has not ended).
I now own 3 folding bikes : a Birdy City, a Pacific Cycles Reach and (now) a Downtube 11H.
The Downtube has a less elaborate fold (more of a fold to put in a car trunk of bag to carry than to roll around) but other than that it has nothing to be ashamed compared to my other much pricier folding bikes.
I cannot believe Downtube is the only company I know of that is smart enough to sell bike with V-brakes that can easily be fitted with disck brakes if need be ( disc hubs and braze on), and where a fron derailleur can easily be added (braze on again even on ×1 models).
The only beef that some people seem to have against Downtube is that the sale price disappears as soon as the inventory has reached Downtube's target, whichever that is.