Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Payback is a *****

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Payback is a *****

Old 09-08-21, 12:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Payback is a *****

On my ride today I couldn't even make it away from the house successfully. As soon as I got down my driveway I realized I still had my reading glasses on. So I turned around, went back up the drive, unlocked the door, went in and got my riding glasses.

All good, I start again. Got almost down the driveway and then realize I have no gloves. Not a big deal, but I've gotten use to riding with them so I again go back up the drive to fetch my gloves. I had to chuckle on the way. Yesterday I had laughed at my neighbor that had to return twice to his house before even passing my house in his car because he had evidently left things.

Karma?

Not only that, but my chain which almost never comes off, came off. It was as I topped a hill and I had to coast downhill for the better part of a 1000 feet before I could get it back on. Again I had to chuckle. I think it was stage 19 or 20 of the Vuelta when a rider from the break-a-way dropped a chain and it took him a while to get it back on as he coasted downhill. I had boasted to my wife that I could have gotten mine on quicker.

Again Karma? or did I just watch to much "My Name is Earl" years ago?
Old 09-08-21, 12:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,598 Times in 5,944 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
On my ride today I couldn't even make it away from the house successfully. As soon as I got down my driveway I realized I still had my reading glasses on. So I turned around, went back up the drive, unlocked the door, went in and got my riding glasses.

All good, I start again. Got almost down the driveway and then realize I have no gloves. Not a big deal, but I've gotten use to riding with them so I again go back up the drive to fetch my gloves. I had to chuckle on the way. Yesterday I had laughed at my neighbor that had to return twice to his house before even passing my house in his car because he had evidently left things.

Karma?

Not only that, but my chain which almost never comes off, came off. It was as I topped a hill and I had to coast downhill for the better part of a 1000 feet before I could get it back on. Again I had to chuckle. I think it was stage 19 of the Vuelta when a rider from the break-a-way dropped a chain and it took him a while to get it back on as he coasted downhill. I had boasted to my wife that I could have gotten mine on quicker.

Fate did not want you to ride today, and yet you did.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-08-21, 02:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
I had a GI emergency on a ride last week. My first in many years of riding. Thankful to come across a porta jon at a church cemetery. Probably was cosmic payback for being such a meanie to the "special" folks on BF.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-08-21, 07:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I had a GI emergency on a ride last week. My first in many years of riding. Thankful to come across a porta jon at a church cemetery. Probably was cosmic payback for being such a meanie to the "special" folks on BF.
Last summer I was heading home and decided to pass the last bathroom. About 5 miles from home I had to go... really bad. I knew I was 2 miles from the MUP int he preserve but it started to "crown". I looked up and there was a porta jon on the side of a house that was being worked on. I asked if I could use it and the guy jokingly said it's $5. When I was finished I said I don't have any money but would return with a pizza... he laughed. The next day I picked up a sicilian pie with toppings and left the box with the same guy.

Two days later I was returning from a ride and passed the same house. The guy saw me and thanked me for the pizza. He asked where I got it since it was so good.

Karma... I didn't want to "F" with it.
Old 09-08-21, 07:28 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Sometimes your just doing your own thing then ya stop... And think... Did I just put the MoJo on? - RATS!
Old 09-08-21, 07:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Subscribed.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-08-21, 08:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

Karma?

Not only that, but my chain which almost never comes off, came off. It was as I topped a hill and I had to coast downhill for the better part of a 1000 feet before I could get it back on. Again I had to chuckle. I think it was stage 19 or 20 of the Vuelta when a rider from the break-a-way dropped a chain and it took him a while to get it back on as he coasted downhill. I had boasted to my wife that I could have gotten mine on quicker.

That rider in th Vuelta ended up reaching down with his hand to get the chain back on one of the rings while coasting. Gutsy move. I have never seen that before.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-08-21, 08:17 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
My recipe for the similarly afflicted, make yourself a card with all the items to be checked and tack it to the wall or whatever where you put on your cycling shoes. Of course this only works if you CHECK the list, eh.
How do I know, strictly from experience.
Likes For OldRailfan:
Old 09-08-21, 11:36 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It would be just my luck to have them put the porta potty next to my cemetery plot…
Likes For raceboy:
Old 09-09-21, 04:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
That rider in th Vuelta ended up reaching down with his hand to get the chain back on one of the rings while coasting. Gutsy move. I have never seen that before.
I’ve done that on flat terrain several times, although not in a long time.
Old 09-09-21, 07:21 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Last summer I was heading home and decided to pass the last bathroom. About 5 miles from home I had to go... really bad. I knew I was 2 miles from the MUP int he preserve but it started to "crown". I looked up and there was a porta jon on the side of a house that was being worked on. I asked if I could use it and the guy jokingly said it's $5. When I was finished I said I don't have any money but would return with a pizza... he laughed. The next day I picked up a sicilian pie with toppings and left the box with the same guy.

Two days later I was returning from a ride and passed the same house. The guy saw me and thanked me for the pizza. He asked where I got it since it was so good.

Karma... I didn't want to "F" with it.
At my shop a customer asked if he could use the restroom. I jokingly said, "Yeah, just leave your quarter on the desk." Later when I was done working on something and walked into the office, there was a quarter laying on the desk. Not sure if he did it as a joke or if he took me seriously.
Old 09-09-21, 08:16 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Every time I hop on my bike, I look down to confirm that I am wearing a full complement of clothes. I figure it's only a matter of time before I fail that step.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-09-21, 08:21 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
At my shop a customer asked if he could use the restroom. I jokingly said, "Yeah, just leave your quarter on the desk."
I might have left a quarter of my "bathroom deposit." But then, I am a BF nit-picker (I don't actually pick nits, that is a figure of speech.)

As for karma .... it gets us all. Being good to others makes sense for a lot of reasons, but avoiding disaster is a good one by itself.
Old 09-09-21, 08:56 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Without getting all spiritual, here's my take. When I get more than one thing or encounter more than one thing that keeps me from doing something, I take a pause, a long pause. I reflect on why did I get these "warnings"? Is there a reason why I shouldn't be doing what I'm about to do?

Think of it as the cycling Gods or Mother Nature talking to you. I don't think it is Karma, it's more of a message.

Years ago a situation like you encountered happened to me before a ride. I decided not to ride. Nothing happened. Maybe that's the way it was supposed to work out.
Old 09-09-21, 09:58 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Years ago a situation like you encountered happened to me before a ride. I decided not to ride. Nothing happened. Maybe that's the way it was supposed to work out.
And if you'd have ridden and nothing had happened to you, you'd have totally forgotten about it. Had something happened to you, you'd remember it forever.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-09-21, 10:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Fate did not want you to ride today, and yet you did.

Or maybe the delays saved his life. We'll never know.
Old 09-09-21, 10:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by OldRailfan
My recipe for the similarly afflicted, make yourself a card with all the items to be checked and tack it to the wall or whatever where you put on your cycling shoes. Of course this only works if you CHECK the list, eh.
How do I know, strictly from experience.

Yes, but he's going to have to remember to put "take off reading glasses" at the end of the list.
Old 09-09-21, 10:31 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
And if you'd have ridden and nothing had happened to you, you'd have totally forgotten about it. Had something happened to you, you'd remember it forever.
Bingo!!

I try to never go against my gut instincts. EVERY time I have, something bad or unexpected happened. I eventually accepted that my gut instincts were almost always right.
Old 09-09-21, 11:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
More Karma on my ride today. I think it was because of this boast in my OP
my chain which almost never comes off
It came off again. This time it took me all the way to the bottom of the hill to get it back on and I had to stop at an intersection before I could turn the crank enough to completely get the chain on. So I had to lift up the rear at the stop to rotate it and get the chain completely on since I wasn't going to start out from a stop in the 52/11 combo.

I'll have to look at it closer. I had recently put a 50/34 set of rings on it for a special ride and just replaced the 52/36 three or four rides prior. So hopefully it's just the DR height or slightly askew since I did move it for each set of rings.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-09-21, 12:13 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ve done that on flat terrain several times, although not in a long time.
I like my fingers too much to even contemplate that kind of move.
Old 09-09-21, 12:24 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
when I used to chop firewood, if a short log didn't split after 2 tries I put it aside. sometimes I listen to my intuition
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-09-21, 06:20 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yes, but he's going to have to remember to put "take off reading glasses" at the end of the list.

I never mentioned what all is on my list, did I ?

But since they fixed my cataracts, there is one less item.
Old 09-10-21, 06:24 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I really do not understand the thought process going on in this thread. In it, the OP attempts a humorous comparison between forgetfulness and it's natural consequences and the belief in an impersonal "correcting force" that strives to keep our thoughts and motives in check. Okay. I have nothing...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-10-21, 06:51 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Some folks reject anything metaphysical .... "Science only trusts what it can measure."

Then I bring up dark matter and dark energy and, well .......

Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-10-21, 08:10 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ I don't reject the metaphysical or even the supernatural. I question the necessity of impersonality, that's all. But discussing beyond that would violate the standards of this sub-forum.
Likes For Phil_gretz: