Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What's your TRP HY/RD bleeding procedure?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-21, 09:55 AM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts

I want to bleed my TRP HY/RD disc calipers for the first time since I installed them two years ago. I'd love to know your personal experience bleeding an HY/RD:
-Do you use TRP's sanctioned procedure, as in this video?
-Do you use that procedure, but with your own alterations?
-Do you have a special procedure, tricks of your own?
-Do you use TRP's bleed kits? Or perhaps a universal kit like Jagwire's or Park Tools'? Your own mix of tools?
-Any cautionary tales?
Thanks!
Old 09-16-21, 01:09 PM
kfried

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I don't have TRP HY/RD but am running Yokozuna Motokos. Out of curiosity, why do you want to bleed them? Asking just in case there are things I may also need to look out for. Mine are relatively new, but when I installed it seemed that the reservoirs had been overfilled as pushing in one piston caused the other to come out, and I was unable to get them both set to the "zero" position, for lack of a better term. So I loosened the reservoir bolt, pushed in one piston, and that pushed some fluid out allowing me to reset the pistons. Been wondering if I will eventually need to service them, so will be following this thread.
Old 09-16-21, 04:23 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I follow their procedure and use one of the $10 ebay/amazon bleed kits that come with two syringes
Old 09-16-21, 04:59 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by kfried
Out of curiosity, why do you want to bleed them?
I feel like they've gotten a tad mushy. Maybe my imagination. But a search finds a bunch of people who've bled their HY/RDs--even relatively new ones--and burped out bubbles. Plus I'm an incorrigible tinkerer and can't leave well enough alone!
Likes For sapporoguy:
Old 09-17-21, 05:58 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
I follow their procedure and use one of the $10 ebay/amazon bleed kits that come with two syringes
Have you a link?