Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Making a rest for stump

Old 09-20-21, 01:44 AM
tomgdaly
The Crank

Bikes: I think it's six at the moment, ranging from a Scott Foil to a 1979 TI Raleigh Team Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Making a rest for stump

I am adapting a bike for an above-knee amputee for time-trial racing (will probably be C2). It is early days but I want to make a rest for his stump which goes to just above the knee. Does anyone have a plan, ideas or pics. please? Something elementary will do at this early stage and he is on an aluminium bike for now so 'belt and braces' fastening is possible.
Old 09-21-21, 12:56 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
One place to start is to check with Mark Powers of Power On Cycling in Newport TN. https://www.poweroncycling.com/ Mark has been working with military veterans with disabilities for a long time. He may have an answer for you.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 09-21-21, 06:42 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Lol, us amps prefer the term "residual"...but whatever.

I might suggest looking back through this sub forum as there were some discussions between myself and an AKA where he posted some pics of a system he created for his bike. I recall it being much like a "ladder hook" that was flat, mounted to the top tube.

In my own experience it is a good thing to adapt a prosthesis and crank/pedal/shoe setup to allow at least some way to use the amp side leg. Riding a bike without using one leg is going to lead to sacroiliac disfunction and pain in the hip, lower back, and so forth. It is also of note that riding with only one "leg" is fraught with dangers related to stopping, dismounting, etc. Another aspect to consider (unfortunately) is related to the possibility of a crash. A prosthesis will offer some level of protection to the residual limb. I PROMISE that striking the end of your limb even in a walking fall is insanely painful. Doing so at speed is in my mind, nearly unimaginable.