Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Love the Townie, hate the long reach to the handlebars-any suggestions?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 07-06-14, 03:05 PM
recycledrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I loved how the Townie felt on my bottom and legs/knees, but felt like I was reaching out too far and wide to reach the handlebars.
I also rode a Trek Verve 3 and loved how that felt, but it was not quite as comfortable in the legs. I was fitted at a quality bike shop, and the associate made several adjustments. Anybody ever swap out the Townie's straight bars for some curved ones?
Old 07-06-14, 05:02 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by recycledrider
I loved how the Townie felt on my bottom and legs/knees, but felt like I was reaching out too far and wide to reach the handlebars.
I also rode a Trek Verve 3 and loved how that felt, but it was not quite as comfortable in the legs. I was fitted at a quality bike shop, and the associate made several adjustments. Anybody ever swap out the Townie's straight bars for some curved ones?
Pics please, so we know what you are talking about.
Old 07-07-14, 07:32 AM
SHOFINE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 15 Posts
I have changed out the handlebars on all my bikes. You can order straight from the Electra Store. Handlebars - Parts - Electra Bike Store I've ordered bars from Modern Bike: Cruiser Bars - Modern Bike Any at 25.4mm
Old 07-15-14, 08:44 AM
EdgyCoolness

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SHOFINE
I have changed out the handlebars on all my bikes. You can order straight from the Electra Store. Handlebars - Parts - Electra Bike Store I've ordered bars from Modern Bike: Cruiser Bars - Modern Bike Any at 25.4mm
That's good to know, thanks!
Old 07-18-14, 02:47 AM
1FJEF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a chart with measurements here so you can get some perspective.

Old 07-18-14, 08:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Going to a Bike shop you can hold various handlebar choices in your hands and over the bike to see if you like them better .
Old 07-18-14, 09:06 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Townies have some pretty adjustable bars. The stem is the older quill-type so that could be raised as long as you're not already at the insertion limit, also the bars can be tilted back toward you. Last resort, you could also swap out the stem to an adjustable one, like on the Verve 2.
Likes For mconlonx:
Old 09-06-17, 08:25 AM
knjc68
Cyclin' twosome

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My wife had the Townie bars swapped out for the Electra Cruiser Cafe bars. Much better!
Likes For knjc68:
Old 09-06-17, 08:31 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
a townie isn't quite as stretched out as a limo bike or stretch cruiser, but you could search for bars for those types of bikes. only problem is if no one has them local, you'd have to order and maybe have something you still don't like (might reach back too far).
Old 09-06-17, 04:14 PM
Sindy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
:d
Attached Images
Old 09-06-17, 04:55 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by recycledrider
There are plenty of handlebars, out there, with various amounts of rise and back sweep.

Such as ...

The downside to selecting a new bar sight-unseen is that you're guessing (a bit) on the position of the hands. But sitting on the bike in riding position you ought to get a fair idea of where the most comfortable spot for the hands is likely to be. (Won't quite be the same as under load, pedaling hard, but still better than nothing.) Try to measure from the center of the bar where the stem clamps down to where the hands sit ... both in terms of the rearward sweep (how far back from the clamp area), and the rise from the clamp area. Typically measured in millimeters, you can then narrow down which handlebar alternatives seem to match.

In my own case, for the position I typically ride with I find that anywhere from a 3-4" (75-100mm) rise seems to work best, depending on how far back the hands end up based on the sweep of the bars. Your measurements will differ based on your specific bike and preferred riding (hands) position.

Keep in mind that you can also alter the stem. There are stems with and without rise, as well as adjustable-height stems. Used in combination with bars you can end up with a very different feel and positioning for the hands.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 09-06-17 at 05:01 PM.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 09-07-17, 04:18 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just thought I might point out the original post was over 3 years ago and the OP has 2 posts to his name.
Old 09-13-17, 01:41 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I realise that this is a very old thread but I have a related question. Is the Electra Townie handlebar height adjustable? I tried adjusting the height but there's a collar at the bottom that rises with the handlebar so I set it back to it's original height as it looked odd when I tried to raise the handlebar by an inch or so.

Does anyone know if that collar should slide up and down the handlebar stem? I didn't want to try to force it!
Old 11-30-17, 08:53 PM
Mike43UK

Bikes: Now Electra Townie 21D EQ and Electra cruiser 7. In the past I had a Raleigh team special and many different mountain bikes, and Dutch style step thrus.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
I realise that this is a very old thread but I have a related question. Is the Electra Townie handlebar height adjustable? I tried adjusting the height but there's a collar at the bottom that rises with the handlebar so I set it back to it's original height as it looked odd when I tried to raise the handlebar by an inch or so.

Does anyone know if that collar should slide up and down the handlebar stem? I didn't want to try to force it!
The handle bars are height adjustable but be careful not to go over the safety mark for inserting the stem. The collar that taz777 is speaking about just slides on the handlebar stem, I had a look the other day, it seems to be an embellishment for the head nut.
Old 12-01-17, 12:58 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
@Mike43UK Thanks, I’ll take another look at the handlebar height adjustment this weekend.
Old 12-24-17, 04:02 AM
trestlehed

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, EZ Sport AX, Lightfoot Rambler, Electra Townie 24D "The Holy Grail of Beach Cruisers"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I put Electra's Bullhorn cruiser bars on my Townie. Perfect.

https://store.electrabike.com/product...rtby=ourPicks#

Last edited by trestlehed; 12-24-17 at 04:26 AM. Reason: add link
Old 12-24-17, 10:47 PM
Mike43UK

Bikes: Now Electra Townie 21D EQ and Electra cruiser 7. In the past I had a Raleigh team special and many different mountain bikes, and Dutch style step thrus.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Townie 21D EQ Mens and I found the handles not to my liking, they felt awkward. Our lasts bikes were dutch step thrus which had North Road handlebars on. I have fitted a set of North Road bars to my bike and they are great, really comfortable. My wife has a Cruiser 7 with really big handlebars which are very awkward for her. I have ordered a set of Electra Cafe Cruiser bars for her bike, I am not sure how different they are to North Road handlebars but they look the same. Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-18, 02:34 AM
Big Dave Crowe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Nitto promenade or bosco handlebar depending on your stem and size frame.
Likes For Big Dave Crowe:
Old 01-04-18, 10:50 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
These are very comfortable, but i doubt they come back far enough (that's a 140mm stem though). Humpert Space Bugel.

Old 01-05-18, 09:57 AM
Philphine

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
These are very comfortable, but i doubt they come back far enough (that's a 140mm stem though). Humpert Space Bugel.

I still haven't set up a new photo set up, but I have a set of bars like these with more rearward reach. I was meaning to eventually post them and see if anyone knew where to get them. they were on a huffy I got, but since I've never seen a huffy with them before (this is a 3sp cruiser I got at a flea market), I figured they were changed out somewhere along the way. love to have a second set for another project.
Old 08-11-18, 03:03 PM
Townie7D

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just bought an Electra Townie and switched the original handlebars to the Electra Cafe Cruiser handlebars. They are a big improvement.
Old 08-29-18, 03:06 PM
deathcrow76

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Townie7D
Just bought an Electra Townie and switched the original handlebars to the Electra Cafe Cruiser handlebars. They are a big improvement.
Can you post a picture please? I'd like to see how they look. thanks!
Old 09-03-18, 12:06 PM
Townie7D

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello,

I will post pictures later when I get home.
Old 09-03-18, 07:23 PM
deathcrow76

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Townie7D
Hello,

I will post pictures later when I get home.
I'd like to see how they look too thanks!
Old 09-04-18, 07:18 AM
vmcrcr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The standard Townie bars made my hands fall asleep/go numb, so I went with a Specialized straight mountain bike handlebar.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.