Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Changing from carbon fork to steel fork on steel bike

Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Changing from carbon fork to steel fork on steel bike

Old 10-05-21, 07:43 PM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
As @kingston correctly points out, any disk brake fork (steel or carbon) will have to be built somewhat stiffer for longevity than a rim brake fork, so it may not absorb quite as much road buzz, but in my opinion the right tires will do the most to absorb that.

If you want minimal effort with great modulation, hydraulic brakes are the way to go. There's no need to go beyond 160 mm rotors then. While 180 mm or larger will give more stopping power for the same amount of lever pressure, it will do so at the expense of modulation. Bigger rotors (or same size rotors on smaller wheels) will act more grabby and are more prone to lock up on slippery roads. Bigger rotors offers more heat dissipation, but that's not usually an issue unless doing loaded touring in steep terrain.
Old 10-05-21, 08:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Bit late to the question but maybe find out it any of the magura rim brakes work with road levers. No need to modify a frame for the purpose unless you really want the thru-axle and a new paint job. 160mm rotors are also sufficient for the task of stopping with little effort.
Old 10-17-21, 04:34 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
physical therapy on thumb

Originally Posted by Nomad2
It's good to hear that you got such good results from surgery. That does give me some hope! My thumb has been niggling at me for a little while but has really gotten worse in the last month or so. Haven't really done anything at this stage to remedy it but will look at some physical therapy of some sort initially if that's feasible.
If what you really have is arthritis, you have to understand that the discomfort that you are experiencing is where the protective cover in the thumb joint is warn out, and the pain that you are experiencing is from your bones rubbing on each other. Physical therapy will only make it worse. Bad idea. My right thumb has really gotten worse in the last few weeks, and am planning to schedule for surgery (soon), for that one. (bummer) I have to strap the thumb, so I don't even use it at this point. I have to ride a flat bar road bike, and use my index finger to shift (instead of my thumb). Braking with the right hand - forget it.
Old 10-18-21, 03:41 PM
Nomad2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by headwind15
If what you really have is arthritis, you have to understand that the discomfort that you are experiencing is where the protective cover in the thumb joint is warn out, and the pain that you are experiencing is from your bones rubbing on each other. Physical therapy will only make it worse. Bad idea. My right thumb has really gotten worse in the last few weeks, and am planning to schedule for surgery (soon), for that one. (bummer) I have to strap the thumb, so I don't even use it at this point. I have to ride a flat bar road bike, and use my index finger to shift (instead of my thumb). Braking with the right hand - forget it.
Sorry to hear about the troubles you are having. I have been diagnosed with osteo arthritis. Not the only joint either. My hips, the left in particular have it also. Was diagnosed for the hips 10 years ago in my mid forties. The discomfort seemed to increase with the decrease in training due to being busy with work and kids! I do a lot more exercises and gym prescribed by my physio as well as plenty of riding and at least the hip issue is manageable. I was hoping to achieve something similar with the thumb (though my physio is not an expert in that area so I'll have to go elsewhere).
We have just come out of lockdown here and so I've just returned to the gym after a break. I did notice that the one group of muscles which were sore a day or so after after the gym were those in my left hand (where my thumb issue is) and so I'm thinking the lack of muscle strength there may have made the thumb worse.