Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Emonda SL6 eTap vs TCR Advanced Pro Disc 1 Value?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21, 08:54 AM
Kris H

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I have been looking at getting a new bike and I am split between the 2022 Trek Emonda SL6 eTap and the 2021 (or 2022 if they ever come out) Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc 1. I have always heard and read that with Giant you get more for your money, but I can't see how this Trek is $100 cheaper than the Giant, and I feel the Trek has possibly more value. ($4900 vs $5000)
They both have Carbon frames, Carbon Wheelsets, Power Meters, ride around the same type of style. I know the Giant is more of an all arounder and a little more relaxed which I do like, I think. I haven't ever tried either since no one has one to try.

The differences:
Giant is a little lighter overall (I think a pound when all said and done, I fluctuate 10lbs +/- a year, so I can't imagine I would notice that, and I weigh 190lbs normally at 6'1"), 150g lighter wheelset and deeper, Ultegra groupset. Giant also comes with tubeless tires mounted.
Trek has a lot cooler paint job and it has eTap Rival groupset. I understand it might be a lower groupset than ultegra, but a lot of reviews say they would take this over the cables and Ultegra groupset. Plus you can use the app to customize how the gears work. The brake cables are more integrated in the cockpit, looks sleeker.

When I started looking, the Giant was $4200 at the beginning of 2021, then it went up to $4500, and now it's at $5000. I've heard from dealers the 2022 will be at least another $500 higher when they come out because of the whole tariffs and shipping issues. So we could be talking $600 more comparing the 2022 models and I would honestly say the Trek seems like more value with the eTap even if they were the same price.

I was sold on Giant at first because everyone says the value is so much better, but I am not seeing it as much anymore. Maybe when it was $4200 at the beginning of the year, but not anymore?

Long story short, I really like the idea of wireless groupset and I like the paint and looks more on the Trek, but I was originally sold on the Giant before they have been jacking their prices up. What should I do?

One last thing to consider - I have a local Giant dealer here in town, so it seems like everyone has Giants around here and I tend to want something unique. The closest Scheel's that sells Trek is about 50 minutes away. I've only owned a 2015 Focus Cayo Evo which is pretty aggressive, and have not even ridden another bike ever. But I have no issues with my current bike and how it rides, other than it got totaled on Ragbrai this past summer. So I need a new bike. Most my riding is on flattish roads and can get very windy here in NW Iowa.

Last edited by Kris H; 10-26-21 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-26-21, 09:25 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,364 Times in 3,504 Posts
Looks like the 2022 Giant with mechanical Ultegra is coming out at $5,700: TCR Advanced Pro Disc 1 (2022) | Men Race bike | Giant Bicycles Australia (giant-bicycles.com)

I'd probably go with the Trek.
Old 10-26-21, 09:39 AM
Kris H

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw that too, but it's actually showing in Australia's website. And that $5700 is actually $300 less than last years model on that website. So that would be about $300 less in the US, to put it at $4700. But then you still have the extra expenses I am told on the tariffs and shipping to the US which will probably bring it to the $5000+ in US money, but probably not quite to $5700 would be my guess.

And honestly, I don't care about the money. I just want to know if they were the same price, which bike to go with. I have to turn in a quote to insurance, so the money isn't an issue.

I still feel the Giant is a slightly better bike, but not as flashy, which I kind of want. If more people say go with Giant, I would go Giant. If it is split, then I might lean towards the Trek mainly for the looks and eTap.

Last edited by Kris H; 10-26-21 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-26-21, 01:49 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I have 3 bicycles, 2 of them have SRAM AXS drivetrains (one is GX, the other is Force). I’d be hard pressed to “go backwards” towards a mechanical shifting ever again. It’s that good, IMO.
My vote goes to the Trek in your case. Good luck.
Old 10-26-21, 04:44 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
I have 3 bicycles, 2 of them have SRAM AXS drivetrains (one is GX, the other is Force). I’d be hard pressed to “go backwards” towards a mechanical shifting ever again. It’s that good, IMO.
My vote goes to the Trek in your case. Good luck.
Yep. Picked up a bike with mechanical shifting to keep on a trainer, and damn it's annoying. Once AXS Force be more available I am re-building the bike with it.
Old 10-26-21, 04:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
There is a lot to be said for having a dealer near you. Especially when you get into the somewhat high dollar bike range.

Have you ridden any Emonda's or TCR's? The frame design is quite different and you may or may not like how one, the other or both feel to you.

My son has a cheaper aluminum version of the Trek Emonda and while it feels different in the way it handles the road compared to my Tarmac, it still rides very well to me.
Old 10-27-21, 12:52 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by F22c_legs
FWIW, I ride an '21 sl5 that's been upgraded with carbon wheels, bar, stem and seat mast. I love it to pieces. The handling is impressive, telepathic. Check out the youtube reviews by Cycling Tips. The Giant sounds like a better all-rounder, but the Trek is more of a stiff race bike.
TCR is every bit as much of a "stiff race bike" as the Emonda.
Old 10-27-21, 05:23 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
I recently bought an Emonda SL7 (Ultegra Di2). I've dialled it in by moving to 30c tubeless tires on Enve 4.5ARs and its become a goldilocks bike for me - comfortable and responsive - I found the stock 25s and even 28s a tad harsh for some of my longer rides. It's a beautiful frame, lots of clearance up to 32c from what I can tell. I can not speak to the Giant, but if the decision is that close, it may come down to aesthetics - ideally a test spin on each. Best of luck!

Last edited by SkepticalOne; 10-27-21 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-27-21, 07:23 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
I recently bought an Emonda SL7 (Ultegra Di2). I've dialled it in by moving to 30c tubeless tires on Enve 4.5ARs and its become a goldilocks bike for me - comfortable and responsive - I found the stock 25s and even 28s a tad harsh for some of my longer rides. It's a beautiful frame, lots of clearance up to 32c from what I can tell. I can not speak to the Giant, but if the decision is that close, it may come down to aesthetics - ideally a test spin on each. Best of luck!
Foolish me. Kind of. For taking Trek’s spec of max tire size at face value. Originally was listed at 28 so I bought a set of 28s to replace the 25 stockers. Now I see it is listed at 30 and potentially even more. That being said, love the bike
Old 10-27-21, 08:05 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
With ultegra di2 12 speeod on the way, 11 speed mechanical would be a no go for me. I've been using sram force axs 12 since last July. No problems, no complaints, other than SRAM's 13T difference at the crank sucks. I use Campy chorus 12 or Shimano grx cranks.
Old 10-27-21, 12:18 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
With ultegra di2 12 speeod on the way, 11 speed mechanical would be a no go for me. I've been using sram force axs 12 since last July. No problems, no complaints, other than SRAM's 13T difference at the crank sucks. I use Campy chorus 12 or Shimano grx cranks.
As with all things gearing related it is often down to personal preference.
I have AXS with 35/48 and 10-28 and really like it.
Old 10-27-21, 05:16 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I do not run electronic drive train bits on my personal bikes, but have worked on dozens of Di2 and eTap bikes. Generally I do not recommend any Sram products to customers for a number of reasons, but when it comes to drive train bits, eTap works exceptionally well, and I recommend it over any Di2 set up.
Get the Trek for the wireless shifting. It is that good.
Old 10-31-21, 01:02 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
As with all things gearing related it is often down to personal preference.
I have AXS with 35/48 and 10-28 and really like it.
It's not just a preference. I'm 68 and ride in the Colorado mountains. I need all the range I can get. A 48/31 with a 10-33 or 10-36 is what I need to get up the steep grades, even weighing 135 pounds. What sucks is SRAM offers no options except 13T difference cranks.