Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

10 POSTS minimum .......... SERIOUSLY!!!

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-21, 07:26 PM
1oldtrackie

Bikes: Only Track bikes in the collection - about 27 or so left out of 130 approx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 37 Posts

I've been on here a couple of years now or more and mostly stay quite and observe the early track stuff. I've tried to post my 40 plus year collection of over 100 track bikes from the 1890's and upwards but can't post anything. Admins don't want to see it I guess.

ALSO _ people have sent me PRIVATE MESSAGES and I CAN'T EVEN OPEN UP their messages to respond because I need 10 posts. ........WHAT!! I only have 7 or 8 so sorry I'm not the kind of guy who writes "Cool" .. or "Great" or "Nice bike" to gain as many posts as I can.

I guess I'll be kicked off of here now for responding like this but I've spoken to a couple of others about this and they feel the same way I do. Oh well .... hopefully this changes in the future.
Old 06-28-21, 08:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
This isn't about you. The moderators are for the most part, volunteers who have to deal with massive amounts of spam and posters with no intent to improve this place. This is to to filter that and autobot visits as much as possible. Don't take it personally.
Old 06-28-21, 08:28 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Well, the good part is after your little rant you’re now one post closer to ten.

Old 06-29-21, 06:57 AM
1oldtrackie

Bikes: Only Track bikes in the collection - about 27 or so left out of 130 approx

Exactly .... one step closer to freedom!! I guess I could have been posting the last few yrs - Great bike! .... or Welcome! ... or Nice tires!! etc etc to try and build up to 10 or 20 thousand posts like some people. That's not really me so I've really been most of an observer to the early track iron which isn't much on this site. Not really a rant by me but certainly an observation of how things are run around here. Anyone can write a few Greats and Cool bike posts to gain the 10 needed and then be a spammer. I've seen that on other sites.

Thanks for your observations and replies here by the way. Cheers
Old 06-29-21, 07:46 AM
JW in AK

Bikes: 2012 Marin Pioneer Trail, 2019 Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 1oldtrackie
I guess I could have been posting the last few yrs - Great bike! .... or Welcome! ... or Nice tires!! etc etc
Let me get this straight. You're opposed to posting simple, friendly and encouraging messages and have, instead, decided to go with whining about how a completely free site administered primarily by volunteers is run? The internet is a big place and you're free to go elsewhere instead of griping here. You could also start your own cycling forum where readers could enjoy the unencumbered "freedom" of attaching pictures to their first post. Go ahead. Live the dream.

By the way, if your pictures are so important, now that you've reached the minimum number of posts, why haven't you shown them? Too busy ranting to upload?

Just in case no one has done it yet, let me just say Welcome! I bet you have a great bike with nice tires!
Likes For JW in AK:
Old 06-29-21, 07:50 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Exactly .... one step closer to freedom!! I guess I could have been posting the last few yrs - Great bike! .... or Welcome! ... or Nice tires!! etc etc to try and build up to 10 or 20 thousand posts like some people. That's not really me so I've really been most of an observer to the early track iron which isn't much on this site. Not really a rant by me but certainly an observation of how things are run around here. Anyone can write a few Greats and Cool bike posts to gain the 10 needed and then be a spammer. I've seen that on other sites.

Thanks for your observations and replies here by the way. Cheers
So you got your ten posts, doesn't mean you have to spam or do any of the other "stuff" you don't like, does it.
BTW avoiding certain threads doesn't take much effort.
Old 06-29-21, 07:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
sounds like you have a lot to offer & share, in the realm of real bike stuff! we're interested! I would love to hear about bikes from the 1890s. this is my Grandfather. I don't know too much about the photo or the bike, looks like a studio pic. but my Aunt did tell me he delivered grapes, holding a small crate on his shoulders, as he rode
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-29-21, 08:00 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

This thread needs more pics. Here is one of my Legnano Tipo Roma pista.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-29-21, 08:15 AM
1oldtrackie

For JW in AK

I'm not opposed to posting simple, friendly messages. I just haven't seen anything here that interests me much. I'm not a roadie and it seems this site is basically 99% road bike related material. My interest is in the racers from 1880, 1890 era and maybe as late as1920.

This is not whining - look it up! ( you're actually whining ). You seem afraid that someone has spoken up about something and it bothers you for some reason.

The internet is a big place - you're right. Not much in the realm of TOC out there. ( do you know what TOC means?? )

So, I guess I just reached my minimum after a few yrs and you're wondering why I haven't jumped like I'm racing for a finish line to post my photos. I really don't think you're the type of person who would appreciate TOC racing to be honest. Do you have any TOC racers in your vast collection??

Thank you for welcoming me here. Many of my bikes have great tires but I really doubt you understand the tires used in the 1890's or maybe 1910/20's era. I try to keep my racers pretty authentic.

Thanks again
Old 06-29-21, 08:19 AM
1oldtrackie

What is this? Have no idea what mountain biking is!!

Thanks
Old 06-29-21, 08:20 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Congrats on reaching 10 posts. You'll fit right in here, I can tell.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 06-29-21, 08:28 AM
1oldtrackie

It looks as though several people completely mis-understood my point here. This was about being on here many years and just not being the type of person who applauds everyone for what ever reason - tires - color of your road bike - welcome - etc etc.

I was trying to retrieve messages and the forum doesn't allow me to do this unless I have a minimum of 10 posts. They seem to think that you could be a spammer but it's obvious after several years here that I am not.

I'm just trying to respond to members who have reached out to me regarding track stuff. I couldn't do that because I only had 6 or 7 posts in all these yrs. I find this site doesn't really do much in Track related material from the TOC era which is my wheelhouse.

Thank you again for the people here who have seen this as important and have responded.

I also might be starting a Forum only related to TOC track racing where no road bike stuff will be allowed. It would kind of like having a site with Barney Oldfield and only that era and guys start posting their GTO cars ......... just doesn't work.
Old 06-29-21, 08:31 AM
1oldtrackie

Thank you for feeling that I'll fit right in after 10 posts. Unfortunately I won't fit in because my interest in road bikes is zero and this forum seem to be mostly roadies.

Again, my interest is in TOC track racing and there doesn't seem to be anything here on this subject.
Old 06-29-21, 08:50 AM
1oldtrackie

Originally Posted by JW in AK
Let me get this straight. You're opposed to posting simple, friendly and encouraging messages and have, instead, decided to go with whining about how a completely free site administered primarily by volunteers is run? The internet is a big place and you're free to go elsewhere instead of griping here. You could also start your own cycling forum where readers could enjoy the unencumbered "freedom" of attaching pictures to their first post. Go ahead. Live the dream.

By the way, if your pictures are so important, now that you've reached the minimum number of posts, why haven't you shown them? Too busy ranting to upload?

Just in case no one has done it yet, let me just say Welcome! I bet you have a great bike with nice tires!
======

Thank you for the welcome but ....
Please look up the word "ranting" is it appears you're the one doing this.

Here's one of the machines I'm looking for. Could you help me find this? I'm sure you're familiar with Windle and others who raced on one of these.

Thank you

Likes For 1oldtrackie:
Old 06-29-21, 08:56 AM
1oldtrackie

I wish this could all be us talking about the new "Christy Model 13" racing saddle. Oh ... this is 1898 by the way.

This is right when Eddie Bald signed on with Spalding and left the Barnes "White Flyer" company.

Anyone have one of these???

Likes For 1oldtrackie:
Old 06-29-21, 11:06 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

( do you know what TOC means?? )
Some may say, Table Of Contents. However, in this conversation, I am going to assume that you mean Turn Of the Century.

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-29-21 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-29-21, 11:13 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

You are more than welcome to post about your bikes while on Bike Forums. The best place on here to do so would be in our Classic & Vitnage forum. But, you are correct in stating that most of the interest here is on bikes much newer than where your interests are. One other forum that may better cater to your interests is thecabe. https://thecabe.com/forum/index/anti...es-pre-1933.8/

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-29-21 at 07:45 PM.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-29-21, 11:15 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
OP's gonna love it when he realizes when teens say "the late 1900's" they are talking about 1997
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-29-21, 05:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Looks as if OP reopened a 4 year old thread, possibly with the hope of buying the bike, then got peaved when he was thwarted from sending a PM to the owner. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...bike-id-2.html Patience.
Old 06-29-21, 05:44 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
This thread needs more pics.
Here is a puppy I hope can give a warm and fuzzy feeling to the OP and those that want to pile on him for not understanding and or agreeing with the operation of the board.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 06-29-21, 06:37 PM
1oldtrackie

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Looks as if OP reopened a 4 year old thread, possibly with the hope of buying the bike, then got peaved when he was thwarted from sending a PM to the owner. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...bike-id-2.html Patience.
Actually already own one of them but they are pretty rare. It's always good to correspond with other owners of these rare machines.
Old 06-29-21, 08:07 PM
JW in AK

Bikes: 2012 Marin Pioneer Trail, 2019 Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 27 Posts
For JW in AK
do you know what TOC means??
Totally Obsolete Crap? Just kidding. Old bikes are a good history lesson.

======

Thank you for the welcome but ....
Please look up the word "ranting" is it appears you're the one doing this. Here's one of the machines I'm looking for. Could you help me find this?
Rant - verb (used without object) to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement way. An example of this on an internet forum could be a subject line containing all-caps and multiple exclamation points.

Look, I'm flattered that you'd dedicate 10% of your posts (2 of 20 at this point) to me but I think it would be beneficial for you to learn not to take the internet personally. The 10 post limit wasn't designed to inhibit 1oldtrackie. Everyone here has had to deal with it. The forum that cb400bill linked to above seems like a great option for you if roadies or mountain bikers on modern bikes isn't your cup of tea and may expose you to more like-minded people who could actually help you find the antique bike/saddle you're looking for. Good luck in your search.
Old 06-29-21, 08:29 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
One thing BF surely doesn't need is another is adolescent(acting) whiner with an attitude. ..sigh

For all the time you've reportedly spent here, and all your reported collection..there's nothing you could have offered to any of the 100's, 1000's of topics discussed here beyond "nice bike" or "welcome"? One would think that anyone with such a collection has developed a rather significant amount of experience and knowledge...and not a bit of it worth sharing..on any topic..ever?

If that's the case, as it appears to be from your own words, then honestly I'd have to wonder why you're even here. Life is short..be happy..if not here, then someplace else. If you don't like the rules..then start your own forum..that'll show them..err..somebody!

Another for the ignore list..if you're not sure what that is..open a thread and ask.
Old 06-29-21, 09:02 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
It looks as though several people completely mis-understood my point here. This was about being on here many years and just not being the type of person who applauds everyone for what ever reason - tires - color of your road bike - welcome - etc etc.

I was trying to retrieve messages and the forum doesn't allow me to do this unless I have a minimum of 10 posts. They seem to think that you could be a spammer but it's obvious after several years here that I am not.

I'm just trying to respond to members who have reached out to me regarding track stuff. I couldn't do that because I only had 6 or 7 posts in all these yrs. I find this site doesn't really do much in Track related material from the TOC era which is my wheelhouse.

Thank you again for the people here who have seen this as important and have responded.

I also might be starting a Forum only related to TOC track racing where no road bike stuff will be allowed. It would kind of like having a site with Barney Oldfield and only that era and guys start posting their GTO cars ......... just doesn't work.
Gotta agree with Fishboat, says more about you that after a couple years it took a rant to get you enough posts to finally be able to add pictures. I can't be bothered with the cool, nice, or random single word posts; if the bike is truly cool enough to comment on then I make sure its a real comment. I also take the time to give mechanical advice.
Assuming TOC is turn of the century, don't know enough to care, it maybe means you know enough to respond to threads about wooden rims and wheels, there's a number of them over the last two years alone; I've read them also from thinking about making some wood rims for fun.

And if TOC is turn of the century, here's mine. (doesn't say which century) Its a rather ugly POS but it works and I race it.

Old 06-30-21, 02:18 AM
nunol

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
rumrunn6,
that is a very nice picture and should be a very nice bike too.
congrats
(I'm also one step closer) ...
Likes For nunol:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.