Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Remove and Replace Old Peugeot Frame Shifter bosses (PR-10)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-11-21, 10:03 AM
karldub

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hi,

I have an old peugeot frame that I'm going to repaint and put on bar shifters. When it comes to shifters bosses, the frame only has bosses on the right side which is also of a sort that I'm not familiar with (I'm foreseeing compatibility issues with "modern" Shimano Downtube Cable Stop/Adjuster)

I want to put on either downtube cable stops on both sides. What would be the best way, would it be a possibility to remove the existing cable boss without hurting the frame?

Old 10-11-21, 10:38 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 646 Posts
Can you post a picture of the whole frame? I have a PR-10 and it has no shifter braze ons.

What I would probably do in that situation, is mount a bell on that braze on, an install the cable stop higher up on the downtube.
Old 10-11-21, 10:51 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
You could remove it by sanding very carefully with a flap disk on an angle grinder until there is just a tiny bit left and then finishing with a file by hand. Just be super careful not to touch the actual frame with the grinder.
Old 10-11-21, 11:04 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 781 Posts
Simplex made a band with a hole for that boss and a boss on the left side; get one of those and a set of boss-to-stop bits and you're in business:

Old 10-11-21, 11:05 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Roger M 's bell idea is not too bad. Or just put a M5 button head screw in there rather than removing it. This shifter boss will keep your new clamp from sliding down the tube.

It looks like the original was spot welded on. You can see a dimple where the spot weld is. This is removable, however, it could be tricky, time consuming and require some finesse. The problem is that you want to remove the spot weld and leave the tube completely undamaged.

If you do this, I would suggest start with something aggressive like an angle grinder (or even a Dremel) to remove the steel from the shifter bracket. As you get close to the surface of the tube, switch a file coarse file then to fine file to remove to remove material more carefully. There appear to be only two spot welds. One on top, one on bottom.

If it were mine, I would at least try without removing the shifter boss. See what it looks like and what you might be able to alternately use it for.
Old 10-11-21, 11:14 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 248 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-project.html

Silver-braze flows pretty nicely with a MAPP gas torch. I've added DT shifter bosses on a couple of bikes. The hard part is locating and holding. And silver braze is kind of expensive - like $35 for 31gm (1 troy ounce).
Your DT pic kind of looks like a tack weld or something holding the boss on - there's a dot on the flange? Is that what I'm seeing?

I dunno - when I removed the DT cable stops in that link I posted, my MAPP torch had them fall off pretty easy, so they were probably silver brazed on.
With resistance welds, like yours "might" be, a good weld might, "maybe", pull some of the frame tubing away if you go to peel off the boss -- or it would leave a nugget on the frame tube. That would be a good resistance weld.
If it leaves a nugget, just sand it off! I suppose you could start peeling the boss, and as long as the boss is tearing, you'd be in good shape!

cheers!
Old 10-11-21, 01:00 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
Simplex had a shift lever mount that fit over that piece, using the execrable Delrin levers. Nothing modern is compatible. It's possible that a Simplex retrofriction lever might work with that braze-on and clamp unit, but I've never tried it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
simplex-left-lever.jpg (18.6 KB, 65 views)
Old 10-11-21, 01:22 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 6,618 Times in 2,594 Posts
I think I have one of those clamps for the NDS shift lever. Retap that one and the existing one to M5 and put away the more destructive tools! I’ll check in a bit
Old 10-11-21, 01:27 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Roger M 's bell idea is not too bad. Or just put a M5 button head screw in there rather than removing it. This shifter boss will keep your new clamp from sliding down the tube.

It looks like the original was spot welded on. You can see a dimple where the spot weld is. This is removable, however, it could be tricky, time consuming and require some finesse. The problem is that you want to remove the spot weld and leave the tube completely undamaged.

If you do this, I would suggest start with something aggressive like an angle grinder (or even a Dremel) to remove the steel from the shifter bracket. As you get close to the surface of the tube, switch a file coarse file then to fine file to remove to remove material more carefully. There appear to be only two spot welds. One on top, one on bottom.

If it were mine, I would at least try without removing the shifter boss. See what it looks like and what you might be able to alternately use it for.
the Simplex threading is not typical expected metric pitch.

you need to remove the paint- on the UO8 that boss was spot welded - not sure on the PR
my hunch brass- if so, an oxy/ acetylene or Oxy/ propane applied to the boss should with some vise grip tugging remove it.
Old 10-11-21, 02:52 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
The OP's already stated the frame's getting repainted, a few have suggested having new bosses brazed on prior to that.
@karldub, where are you located? Are you painting it yourself, or sending out? Some painters/powder coaters can also braze on new bits.
Old 10-11-21, 03:14 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 6,618 Times in 2,594 Posts
Hmm, I struck out in finding one of those NDS boss clamps. But I did find a bunch of these odd ones. Any ideas what they'd be for?

Old 10-12-21, 04:05 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Hmm, I struck out in finding one of those NDS boss clamps. But I did find a bunch of these odd ones. Any ideas what they'd be for?

Mixte frame tubes?
Old 10-12-21, 04:20 AM
karldub

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all the good input! The work is to be done from a small apartment, and I have no weld or welding possibilities, so I think I'll first try to find alternative uses for the shifter boss.

Originally Posted by Velo Mule

You think any chance a hacksaw would suffice?

Cheers.