Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Getting a lot of crankset flex?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-25-21, 01:15 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 115 Posts

I just got off the bike, so I have not much investigating yet, but the Suntour Superbe crankset on my Palo Alto is perplexing me. I guess I had not noticed it before, but on a recent ride I saw the chainring wavering between the sides of the front derailleur cage. Hmm, when I got home I sent time with he usual two-Cresenct-wrenches solution to see if I could remove any runout in the spider. The results looked good to my eye -- I own a dial indicator and base but so far have not puzzled out how to set it up on a bike.

So I went on a ride just now, and a long uphill I looked down and I see it persists, and I am pretty sure it's more under load than when not. Next step? I'll recheck the crank-to-spindle bolt, of course. I cannot imagine the spindle flexing, correct? The frame? What else should i look at? Hmm, single chainring ("1x") systems' appeal are becoming more inviting by the day.

I can set the FD to clear and the 'wobble' stays within the cage for no scraping -- but barely.
Old 10-25-21, 01:28 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 79 Posts
If you want some additional flex you need to ride some Stronglight 104s. You can make contact with both sides of the FD as you're going uphill.

Some cranks just flex more. Maybe the Superbe is one of those.
Old 10-25-21, 01:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,324 Times in 1,503 Posts
Some flex seems normal with most steel bikes. I see a little in my Ironman, and more with my Univega Via Carisma with their fancypants Bi-Axial Oval tubing.

As long as it doesn't cause problems with shifting, scraping the front derailleur, etc., I've learned to ignore it.

When I first tried switching my Suntour Accushift GPX shifters from index to friction mode, that slight BB flex was enough to cause ghost shifting, especially when I stood to climb or sprint. But that turned out to be a flaw with the GPX shifters. "Friction" is just an emergency bailout mode in case the indexing system fails, something to finish a ride. To minimize shifter creep I had to crank the levers so tightly it was difficult to shift. When I tried a nice set of purpose designed friction shifters, the Shimano L-422 Light Action retrofriction, there was no ghost shifting and the lever tension was smooth and easy to use. So my original problem was mediocre shifter design, not frame/BB flex.

With square taper cranks sometimes we can minimize slight wobble by trying each of the four available orientations on the spindle.

A few years ago, after test riding my first carbon fiber bike, I noticed definite differences in stiffness. At the time I thought a stiffer BB would translate to faster climbs. And it does, a little, now that I have a couple of carbon fiber road bikes. But it's not as big a deal as I'd expected. Probably because we have no mountains or long continuous climbs here, and I'm not a sprinter. My average speed on longer segments and entire familiar routes of 20-35 miles is the same on my steel Ironman and two carbon fiber road bikes.

If anything the slight flex of the steel bike seems more comfortable without any noticeable inefficiency that I can estimate from hundreds of rides. Maybe that's why some cyclists prefer "compliance" over "flex." Sounds more like a feature than a flaw.
Old 10-26-21, 02:10 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 234 Posts
Also, check your crankset very closely if it is developing any cracking that could cause flexing.
Some people that had their crankset break on them, usually noticed flexing, right before they gave way....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 10-26-21, 02:20 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 2089 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 727 Posts
Not mentioned is if the crank to spindle are designed for each other. Can make a difference.
the keen looking for cracks is good advice.
the only times I have had flexing that caused rub are when a chainring bolt was loose or one of those cranks with the 50.4 BCD attachment.

oh yeah, on a Teledyne Titan, that was the frame.
Old 10-26-21, 04:21 PM
clubman 
Youngman Grand

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 711 Posts
Long shot but the bottom bracket may be cracked. Get off the bike and lean the bike away from you and push hard inward on the near pedal at 6 o'clock. Try both sides.
Old 10-27-21, 11:48 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1975 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 106 Posts
Is it flex (bending under load) or is it bent (a permanent, out of plane deformation)?
Old 10-28-21, 01:24 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 431 Posts
It's particularly noticeable when the spindle cracks, my left crankarm was making contact with the left chainstay:

Old 10-28-21, 02:43 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 77 Posts
Is it having an effect on the bike?
If it does then it needs fixing.
If not what's the problem?
Is it just because you saw it that its a problem.
Old 10-31-21, 06:17 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 1,031 Times in 618 Posts
The most common cause of ring wobble is bent rings. Check wobble on both rings. If both wobble, then consider the spider to be bent. If only one, usually the big ring, wobbles, the ring is the culprit.

Using an ordinary ruler or tape measure, measure from the seat tube to the tips of the ring teeth. Do this in several parts of the ring circumference. Figure out long and short spots and average of all measurements. Armed with that information, commence gently straightening the ring while it is still fitted to the spider. You can pretty accurately determine and correct ring wobble using this simple tool. If both rings are the issue, you might try bending the spider arms ever so slightly to get the rings running true. Personally, I would not attempt to bend alloy spider arms for fear of them cracking and eventually failing in a catastrophic manner.